Re: Taxonomy of Gnostic, Proto-Gnostic, Semi-Gnostic, Pseodo-Gnostic etc..

  • thalprin
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 2, 2008
      Yes, I'd like to see that, I think that'd be interesting.
      Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?

      > Hey all
      >
      > I was just thinking about a few recent issues that include the
      groups
      > we list on our home page.... Manicheism, the Mandeans, the Cathars,
      > Bogomils, Paulicians, Merkabah etc.. I was also thinking about
      Miguel's

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 6, 2008
        Hey Thalprin

        >>>Yes, I'd like to see that, I think that'd be interesting.
        Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?<<<

        I actually tried to create a timeline some years back, but I ran into
        some problems (partly basic computer problems). In any event, I think
        these charts would have to be unconnected. A timeline would not follow
        a taxonomy in this case. I'll play with some programs and see how I
        may best present this kind of chart on this forum. Any suggestions
        would be helpful.

        PMCV
      • thalprin
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 7, 2008
          Sounds good PMCV and thanks, this taxonomy could be very interesting I
          think - I'll look forward to seeing it. If any suggestions come to
          mind I'll certainly pass them along.

          Thalprin

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 13, 2008
            Hey Thalprin

            Ok, I finally got the categorical graph done. It is in the "Files"
            section of our home page.

            http://tinyurl.com/ypvla3

            I was trying to play with some family tree programs and some better
            graphics programs, but in the end I realized that if I was ever
            going to get it done I needed to keep it simple. Even though I call
            this a "family tree", it is meant to show categorical relations
            rather than cause and effect. For instance, obviously Sethianism and
            Valentinianism are FORMS of Gnosticism, rather than something that
            grew out of Gnosticism. On the other hand, Kabbalah likely actually
            grew out of Merkabah.

            I should point out that some scholars (like Birger Pearson) believe
            that Hermetism actually does contain Biblical elements. If this is
            true, the chart would need to be adjusted accordingly.

            Anyone have thoughts, questions, points, etc?

            PMCV

            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

            > Sounds good PMCV and thanks, this taxonomy could be very
            interesting I
            > think - I'll look forward to seeing it. If any suggestions come
            > mind I'll certainly pass them along.
            >
            > Thalprin
            >

            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Thalprin

            > > Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?<<<
            > >
            > > I actually tried to create a timeline some years back, but I ran
            into
            > > some problems (partly basic computer problems). In any event, I
            think
            > > these charts would have to be unconnected. A timeline would not
            > follow
            > > a taxonomy in this case. I'll play with some programs and see
            how I
            > > may best present this kind of chart on this forum. Any
            suggestions
            > > would be helpful.
            > >
            > > PMCV

          • thalprin
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 14, 2008
              It's nice PMCV, I like this graph.

              Something does come to mind, but I'm not sure what that is as yet.
              Today I have a busy plate, tomorrow I'll see if I can figure out what
              I'm feeling/thinking, or what's catching my eye.

              Thalprin

              > Hey Thalprin
              >
              > Ok, I finally got the categorical graph done. It is in the "Files"
              > section of our home page.
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/ypvla3
              >
              > I was trying to play with some family tree programs and some better
              > graphics programs, but in the end I realized that if I was ever
              > going to get it done I needed to keep it simple. Even though I call
              > this a "family tree", it is meant to show categorical relations
              > rather than cause and effect. For instance, obviously Sethianism
              and
              > Valentinianism are FORMS of Gnosticism, rather than something that
              > grew out of Gnosticism. On the other hand, Kabbalah likely actually
              > grew out of Merkabah.
              >
              > I should point out that some scholars (like Birger Pearson) believe
              > that Hermetism actually does contain Biblical elements. If this is
              > true, the chart would need to be adjusted accordingly.
              >
              > Anyone have thoughts, questions, points, etc?
              >
              > PMCV
              >

              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Sounds good PMCV and thanks, this taxonomy could be very
              > interesting I
              > > think - I'll look forward to seeing it. If any suggestions come
              > > mind I'll certainly pass them along.
              > >
              > > Thalprin
              > >

              > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey Thalprin

              > > > Perhaps would you include such as time line a/o location?<<<
              > > >
              > > > I actually tried to create a timeline some years back, but I
              ran
              > into
              > > > some problems (partly basic computer problems). In any event, I
              > think
              > > > these charts would have to be unconnected. A timeline would not
              > > follow
              > > > a taxonomy in this case. I'll play with some programs and see
              > how I
              > > > may best present this kind of chart on this forum. Any
              > suggestions
              > > > would be helpful.
              > > >
              > > > PMCV

            • Michael Leavitt
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 14, 2008
                pmcvflag wrote:
                > I should point out that some scholars (like Birger Pearson) believe
                > that Hermetism actually does contain Biblical elements. If this is
                > true, the chart would need to be adjusted accordingly.
                >
                > Anyone have thoughts, questions, points, etc.

                Pmvc,

                What biblical elements are in Hermeticism, and where.
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 14, 2008
                  Hey Michael

                  >>>What biblical elements are in Hermeticism, and where.<<<

                  I don't remember the details (it isn't my theory... I just wanted to
                  give equal time for Pearson because I think his point is interesting),
                  but if I recall it is in Pearson's book "Gnosticism, Judaism, and
                  Egyptian Christianity". I don't believe he argues this
                  for "Hermeticism" (as you state) but for "Hermetism" (there is an
                  important difference). Either way, his point has been one of the
                  stronger reasons to connect Sethianism with Hermetism... in my view.

                  Still, there is a reason I did not include this view in my graph.

                  It would be very easy to change the chart to reflect his basic point.
                  Would you like me to do that? I will not lie, I don't think we should
                  do so just yet.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 15, 2008
                    I actually had typed more on that post, but I was editing and I left
                    some things off on accident *lol*. I meant to add that the reason I
                    didn't want to change the graph right away is that I hoped a number
                    of people would have some points or questions dealing with the
                    categories that we could use to create a larger graph. Maybe some
                    people even have been thinking of the categories in a very different
                    way, or even disagree with this chart for some reason.

                    I was also trying to do the timeline, but I just can't seem to make
                    it look readable.

                    > Hey Michael

                    > I don't remember the details (it isn't my theory... I just wanted
                    > give equal time for Pearson because I think his point is
                    interesting),
                    > but if I recall it is in Pearson's book "Gnosticism, Judaism, and
                    > Egyptian Christianity". I don't believe he argues this
                    > for "Hermeticism" (as you state) but for "Hermetism" (there is an
                    > important difference). Either way, his point has been one of the
                    > stronger reasons to connect Sethianism with Hermetism... in my
                    view.

                    > Still, there is a reason I did not include this view in my graph.
                    >
                    > It would be very easy to change the chart to reflect his basic
                    point.
                    > Would you like me to do that? I will not lie, I don't think we
                    should
                    > do so just yet.
                    >
                    > PMCV

                  • Michael Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 15, 2008
                      i AGREE.

                      pmcvflag wrote:
                      > Hey Michael

                      > I don't remember the details (it isn't my theory... I just wanted to
                      > give equal time for Pearson because I think his point is interesting),
                      > but if I recall it is in Pearson's book "Gnosticism, Judaism, and
                      > Egyptian Christianity". I don't believe he argues this
                      > for "Hermeticism" (as you state) but for "Hermetism" (there is an
                      > important difference). Either way, his point has been one of the
                      > stronger reasons to connect Sethianism with Hermetism... in my view.
                      >
                      > Still, there is a reason I did not include this view in my graph.
                      >
                      > It would be very easy to change the chart to reflect his basic point.
                      > Would you like me to do that? I will not lie, I don't think we should
                      > do so just yet.
                      >
                      > PMCV
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • thalprin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 16, 2008
                      • thalprin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 16, 2008
                          PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking around,
                          I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                          making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the family
                          tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                          relatives.

                          I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                          affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                          adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                          most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                          philosophical sense.

                          Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?

                          Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                          great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to do
                          so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.

                          Thalprin
                        • George
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 16, 2008
                            PMCV:

                            What a great idea ! To develop a taxonomy... naturally
                            this is subject to exactly how gnosticism is defined.

                            But let's say we get a definition that everyone (or most
                            everyone) finds adequate.

                            What I have seen is that an inspirational idea like gnosticism
                            leap-frogs from one community to another.

                            Whether a gnostic system is raw or fully matured, there is leader
                            or community that becomes influenced by just reading about it, and
                            maybe even puts a new spin on it.

                            And there you have yet another gnostic group.

                            It's very much like Protestantism. Once you had a vigorous
                            tradition of religion not controlled by the pope, ideas just
                            lept from one part of the world to another... based on readings
                            or personal meetings.

                            If Billy Graham sells 50,000 tapes of his ideas and his preachings,
                            there are 50,000 possibilities that the person who receives the
                            tape will be inspired to do something ALMOST LIKE Billy Graham.

                            If he's on the East coast, and the new community is on the
                            West coast, who would know there was a connection, especially
                            if the new community has added an important (or not so important)
                            element to its theology or practice.

                            Conclusion?

                            While it may be difficult to build a FULL taxonomy, it should
                            be quite possible to build a CHRONOLOGY of gnostic communities!

                            I would be delighted if we could just tell what the predecessor
                            is to the one existing Gnostic community we have left: the Mandaens.
                            What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the Mandaeans?

                            Regards,

                            George
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 16, 2008
                              Hey George

                              >>>What a great idea ! To develop a taxonomy... naturally
                              this is subject to exactly how gnosticism is defined.

                              But let's say we get a definition that everyone (or most
                              everyone) finds adequate.<<<

                              Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I am still trying to work on the other
                              taxonomy that Thalprin suggests, as well as the timeline.

                              As for the definition of Gnosticism (and in this forum we are
                              talking about Gnosticism with a capital "G", not gnosticism with the
                              small "g"), we are open to some tweeking and discussion.... but...
                              the fact that we will attempt to maintain the more
                              academic/historical definition as the base is frankly not open to
                              debate.

                              Think of it another way; if "everyone" (in other forums)
                              believed "existentialism" was about any beliefs
                              concerning "existance", but there was one last forum dealing only
                              with "Existentialism" (the philosophical school)... why should that
                              Existentialist forum bow to "everybody" and try to redefine itself
                              to talk about the "existentialism" of common understanding? Doesn't
                              the Existentialist forum have a right to maintain its study of
                              Existentialism with a capitol "E"?

                              Public opinion has a place, but this forum is the final refuge for
                              those who prefer disambiguation in their study of classical
                              Gnosticism.

                              PMCV
                            • Br Benjamin Assisi
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008

                                While it may be difficult to build a FULL taxonomy, it should
                                be quite possible to build a CHRONOLOGY of gnostic communities!

                                I would be delighted if we could just tell what the predecessor
                                is to the one existing Gnostic community we have left: the Mandaens.
                                What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the Mandaeans?

                                Regards,

                                George

                                dositheans , simon, ..with some islam, yes?
                                .
                              • Sean
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17, 2008
                                  I agree.

                                  All definitions of Gnosticism, gnostism work and all do not work. For me it is like trying to
                                  define the wind. We know what the wind can do but does that define the wind.

                                  Pax!

                                  Sean

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 20, 2008
                                    Hey George and Ben

                                    George states: >>>I would be delighted if we could just tell what
                                    the predecessor is to the one existing Gnostic community we have
                                    left: the Mandaens. What was the immediate ancestor or cousin of the
                                    Mandaeans?<<<

                                    Ben answeres: >>>dositheans , simon, ..with some islam, yes?<<<

                                    Although the question of whether Mandaeans are technically "Gnostic"
                                    is in debate, they certainly have some attributes in common
                                    (especially mythological ones) and they are of interest to those who
                                    study classical Gnosticism. I have not personally taken a side in
                                    that debate, but I do see why the pros and cons are important.

                                    As far as Dositheus and his movement (if it existed), we have so
                                    little genuine evidence of who they may have been and obviously some
                                    of what we hear is wrong. We have mention of him being the origin of
                                    the Saduccees, and mention of him being a follower of John the
                                    Baptist. There is no way to reconcile tidbits like thisÂ….. both
                                    can't be true at the same time. If we don't know who they were, we
                                    can't seriously speculate as to how they could have influenced any
                                    particular group.

                                    Simon? I have to assume that is Simon Magus, not Simon Peter or some
                                    other Simon. Some scholars believe the Mandaeans actually predate
                                    this era, but it is hard to say (I have some doubts). However, what
                                    we have about Simon's movement is that it was heavily Hellenistic...
                                    which the Mandaeans are not. It seems an unlikely origin.

                                    Islam? Obviously not an "immediate ancestor" (as per George's
                                    question) since the Mandaeans predate Islam. A cousin to Islam?
                                    Hmmmm... that may depend on how we make the analogy and how far
                                    removed (1st cousin, 6th cousin?). To this day, Mandaean belief
                                    states that Islam is "unclean". The literature also talks about
                                    Mohammed as the son of the demon "Bizbat" and it is forbidden to
                                    accept food or water from Moslems. It is true, however, that there
                                    appears to have been a move to appeal to Islamic leaders so as to be
                                    accepted as "people of the book", but that need not imply
                                    theological influence from Islam.

                                    Dr Rudolph points out a number of Ugaritic/Hebrew elements, as well
                                    as Persian elements. Lupieri mentions these also, as well as some
                                    interesting connections/disagreements with Manichaeism that could
                                    imply similar origins or the kind of interaction and rejection that
                                    could help shape both movements. Take, for instance, the opposing
                                    view between Mani and the Mandaeans about the "living water". It is
                                    as if they are both dealing with an identical idea in different
                                    ways. So much so that it almost looks like two diverging views
                                    within a single cultural venue.

                                    PMCV
                                  • George
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 23, 2008
                                      I have no trouble with Dositheus originating out of the
                                      Sadducees. I think Josephus was of a Sadducee family
                                      as well.

                                      This should help in harmonizing a Sadducee origin AND of
                                      later being a follower of John the Baptist.

                                      Regards,

                                      George
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 24, 2008
                                        George

                                        >>>I think Josephus was of a Sadducee family
                                        as well.<<<

                                        I have heard some recent speculation about that possibility but
                                        Josephus himself speaks of the Sadducees in negative terms and
                                        doesn't seem to include himself amongst their number.

                                        Anyway, more important to our subject....

                                        >>>I have no trouble with Dositheus originating out of the
                                        Sadducees.<<<

                                        You don't quote me, but since your post relates to my recent post on
                                        the same subject I am guessing you may be answering my response to
                                        Ben.

                                        The source I was pointing to (pseudo-Tertullian) does not state that
                                        Dositheus originated out of the Sadducees, but that they originated
                                        out of him. In other words, he created the Sadducees. I find this
                                        very unlikely, but if it were true he would be long dead by the time
                                        of John. Your idea that he instead came from the Sadducees is
                                        obviously far more possible.

                                        To some extent it simply boils down to which accounts seem more
                                        reliable. Several heresiological sources state that he was a
                                        Samaritan, and the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of
                                        Samaritanism in both Jewish and Arabic accounts. In these
                                        descriptions of the Dositheans they do not appear to be in any way
                                        related to the Simonians the way some heresiologists relate, nor do
                                        they look to be very Gnostic.

                                        Outside of that, I'm not really aware of any evidence linking the
                                        Dositheans and the Mandaeans. Perhaps Ben had a specific source in
                                        mind when he presented the possible connection? If so, maybe he can
                                        shed some light on the subject.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 24, 2008
                                          Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this chart.
                                          Any other specific groups you would like to see included?

                                          Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                                          having a hard time finding a program that will give me the graphic
                                          tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what is
                                          lacking). Anyone want to help?

                                          PMCV

                                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

                                          > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                                          around,
                                          > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                                          > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the family
                                          > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                                          > relatives.
                                          >
                                          > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                                          > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                                          > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                                          > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                                          > philosophical sense.
                                          >
                                          > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                                          >
                                          > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                                          > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to
                                          do
                                          > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.
                                          >

                                          > Thalprin

                                        • thalprin
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 25, 2008
                                            PMCV, I'd like to say that I think this is quite an admirable project
                                            you're working on. I also understand the desire to be as
                                            historically accurate and as comprehensive as is or can be possible,
                                            and yes I suspect that that's no small feat. I thought perhaps at
                                            the moment we might like to peruse/review, so I'm sending a few links
                                            to subjects/sites and orgs which might help or begin to help us to
                                            know/assure that we're being thorough.

                                            Regarding the timeline, I think I'd like to offer my assistance to
                                            illustrate the timeline in Photoshop - if you send me your list and
                                            tell me what, specifically, you have in mind. It's not a problem, I
                                            think I'd enjoy to help.

                                            Now I'll have a look back at the list and see what we've gathered
                                            thus far, and give some thought to what I might like to suggest we
                                            add (if anything).

                                            Thalprin

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorius

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenouda_the_Archimandrite

                                            http://www.stshenouda.com/stshenda/shenvita.htm
                                            (Check out that 3rd category,)

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theopaschite_controversy

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Christianity

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodox_Churches

                                            Some Codex:
                                            (I saw a Codex exhibit just awhile back - I was so impressed, these
                                            are really such exceptional works,)

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alexandrinus

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Amiatinus

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Bezae

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Codex

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossano_Gospels

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinope_Gospels

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Genesis

                                            http://www.vetuslatina.org/

                                            http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/

                                            http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html#conc2

                                            http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/index.html

                                            > Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this chart.
                                            > Any other specific groups you would like to see included?
                                            >
                                            > Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                                            > having a hard time finding a program that will give me the graphic
                                            > tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what is
                                            > lacking). Anyone want to help?
                                            >
                                            > PMCV
                                            >
                                            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                                            > around,
                                            > > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to see/consider
                                            > > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the
                                            family
                                            > > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins a/o
                                            > > relatives.
                                            > >
                                            > > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                                            > > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by, partly
                                            > > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might be
                                            > > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                                            > > philosophical sense.
                                            > >
                                            > > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                                            > >
                                            > > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are a
                                            > > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you to
                                            > do
                                            > > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good examples.
                                            > >

                                            > > Thalprin

                                          • thalprin
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 25, 2008
                                              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@...> wrote:

                                              > PMCV, I'd like to say that I think this is quite an admirable
                                              project
                                              > you're working on. I also understand the desire to be as
                                              > historically accurate and as comprehensive as is or can be
                                              possible,
                                              > and yes I suspect that that's no small feat. I thought perhaps at
                                              > the moment we might like to peruse/review, so I'm sending a few
                                              links
                                              > to subjects/sites and orgs which might help or begin to help us to
                                              > know/assure that we're being thorough.
                                              >
                                              > Regarding the timeline, I think I'd like to offer my assistance to
                                              > illustrate the timeline in Photoshop - if you send me your list and
                                              > tell me what, specifically, you have in mind. It's not a problem,
                                              > think I'd enjoy to help.
                                              >
                                              > Now I'll have a look back at the list and see what we've gathered
                                              > thus far, and give some thought to what I might like to suggest we
                                              > add (if anything).
                                              >
                                              > Thalprin
                                              >

                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_of_Alexandria
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestorius
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenouda_the_Archimandrite
                                              >
                                              > http://www.stshenouda.com/stshenda/shenvita.htm
                                              > (Check out that 3rd category,)
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theopaschite_controversy
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Christianity
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church_of_Jerusalem
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodox_Churches
                                              >

                                              > Some Codex:
                                              > (I saw a Codex exhibit just awhile back - I was so impressed, these
                                              > are really such exceptional works,)
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alexandrinus
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Amiatinus
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Bezae
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Calixtinus
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Ephraemi_Rescriptus
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Manesse
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novgorod_Codex
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossano_Gospels
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinope_Gospels
                                              >
                                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Genesis

                                              Just a little note to add; it's amazing how some of these Codex we
                                              have we have a/o survived because of the Cotton Library:

                                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_library

                                              > http://www.vetuslatina.org/
                                              >
                                              > http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/
                                              >
                                              > http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook2.html#conc2
                                              >
                                              > http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/index.html
                                              >

                                              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hey Thalprin (and anyone else), I am trying to work on this
                                              chart.
                                              > > Any other specific groups you would like to see included?
                                              > >
                                              > > Also, I have the timeline pretty well worked out but I am still
                                              > > having a hard time finding a program that will give me the
                                              graphic
                                              > > tools I need (or maybe my skill with the programs I have is what
                                              is
                                              > > lacking). Anyone want to help?
                                              > >
                                              > > PMCV
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "thalprin" <thalprin@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > PMCV, I'll tell you what I've been thinking or I am kicking
                                              > > around,
                                              > > > I'm thinking that it might be interesting perhaps to
                                              see/consider
                                              > > > making two graphs; one to strickly encompass as you say the
                                              > family
                                              > > > tree, and another for something akin to depicting its cousins
                                              a/o
                                              > > > relatives.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > I think that there are perhaps several groups, communities, a/o
                                              > > > affiliations that are or have been greatly influenced by,
                                              partly
                                              > > > adopted by (so on) Gnosticism - for example, Hermeticism might
                                              be
                                              > > > most akin to a cousin a/o that which heh married-in in a
                                              > > > philosophical sense.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Dunno, still thinking it through. Your thoughts?
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Also as you can see from those links that I've sent, there are
                                              > > > great many ways to construct a timeline - if it interests you
                                              > > do
                                              > > > so, I thought you might enjoy first seeing a few good
                                              examples.

                                              > > > Thalprin

                                            • George
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 6, 2008
                                                Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
                                                make minor comments about things that could be very important
                                                later.

                                                I mentioned my thoughts favorable to Josephus originating out
                                                of a Sadducee family.

                                                PMCV's response was "I have heard some recent speculation about that
                                                possibility but Josephus himself speaks of the Sadducees in negative
                                                terms and doesn't seem to include himself amongst their number."

                                                This is much like someone who went to parochial (Catholic) school
                                                and then grew up to join a Protestant denomination. Negative
                                                comments would be expected. As to "speculation", it is almost
                                                certain that Josephus was Sadducee, since it is not a CHOICE
                                                to become a Sadducee, and he was quite specific about trying
                                                the three main Jewish "schools". In his work LIFE (books 10-12),
                                                he discusses the Pharisees and the Essenes in detail. But
                                                there is no comment about him being a Sadducee.

                                                This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
                                                to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
                                                way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 14, 2008
                                                  George

                                                  >>>Since no one has furthered this thread, I thought I would
                                                  make minor comments about things that could be very important
                                                  later.

                                                  <snipped for brevity>

                                                  This leaves us with the simple conclusion that he didn't need
                                                  to: he was RAISED a Sadduccee (there really wasn't any other
                                                  way to become one - - other than by marriage one supposes).<<<

                                                  Certianly one of a number of possibilities that scholars debate.
                                                  Obviously neither the Sadducees nor Josephus were Gnostics, but since
                                                  we are dealing with that time period perhaps they will come up now and
                                                  again.

                                                  >>>In reference to Dositheus, PMCV writes:
                                                  "Several heresiological sources state that he was a Samaritan, and
                                                  the Dosithean sect is referred to as a form of Samaritanism in both
                                                  Jewish and Arabic accounts."<<<

                                                  I was a little confused by your quoting me above. It doesn't seem to
                                                  relate to your point above, so I am wondering if you intended to add a
                                                  response and maybe forgot?