Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Faith vs Experience

  • souldreamone@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 111 , Jan 4, 2008
      Is there any reason why our concepts and beliefs might not include or reflect or even help discern spiritual understanding?  The Gnostics believed that self-acquaintance was imperative.  The process of discovering and critically examining one's own motivations can help understand those self-imposed boundaries, don't you think

      Oh, sure, the concepts of any Gnostic writings which have been properly translated and left undistorted are reflections of spiritual Knowingness, but reflections only. They point to Truth but are not, in themselves, Truth. Yes, I agree that self examination is excellent spiritual work. This generally involves revealing the illusory nature of what mind insists is known, as I mentioned before. We could say that the spiritual process is mostly an unknowing, which means knowledge collection can become problematic.

      Well then, not only what I had for breakfast but also the fact that I did eat breakfast at all is quite relevant to me.  So, not irrelevant at all.  :-)

      I meant in terms of spiritual Truth.
      Rituals may be useful for creating certain mind states, but there is no magic behind the rituals, and they can quickly become a distraction.

      Phil

      In a message dated 1/4/2008 2:09:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, souldreamone@... wrote:

      > The only thing that encumbers Truth is mind's insistence that it knows
      > something. Concepts and beliefs tell us what is and is not so, and nothing can be
      > seen beyond those self imposed boundaries.

      Is there any reason why our concepts and beliefs might not include or reflect or even help discern spiritual understanding?  The Gnostics believed that self-acquaintance was imperative.  The process of discovering and critically examining one's own motivations can help understand those self-imposed boundaries, don't you think?

      > Rituals and proceedures are as irrelevant as what you had for breakfast.
      >
      > Phil

      Well then, not only what I had for breakfast but also the fact that I did eat breakfast at all is quite relevant to me.  So, not irrelevant at all.  :-)

      But that is neither here nor there.  Rituals are a part of life, to some extent or other, and they were an endemic part of the ancient spiritual world as well.

      For instance, since the focus in our group is the ancient Gnostics, what do you and other members think of the importance placed on baptism, either as an actual rite or else a metaphor, in the Gnostic writings?  Does anyone find relevance in this in our modern world?

    • Michael Leavitt
      Message 111 of 111 , Jan 16, 2008
        SORRY. :)