Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Faith vs Experience

  • souldreamone@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 111 , Jan 4, 2008
      In a message dated 1/4/2008 1:26:29 PM Pacific Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, souldreamone@... wrote:

      > Gnosticism was never about conceptual
      > knowledge, it was always about Knowingness.
      >
      > Phil

      Hello, Phil.  This is a mighty strong statement about the conceptualized historical category,Gnosticism.

      Would you mind expanding on your statement above regarding what you mean by "Knowingness" in relation to historical Gnosticism, perhaps providing some supporting illustration from writings of the Gnostics?

      Thank you.

      Cari

      Hi Cari
      You're right, it's a pretty strong statement that Truth is not about conceptual knowledge, and so what conceptual knowledge could I offer you to proove the truth of that statement? What I see is that within religions there is a small group of folks who see beyond the dogma and concepts to the deeper Truth from which they originated, realizing that the knowledge that forms the basis of the belief system is a conceptual/contextual distortion of the Knowingness that provided the impetus for the formation of it. It would then become necessary for these folks to isolate themselves and keep this Truth to themselves, since others would try to destroy them.....

      Since this Knowingness is found within and not in mind's concepts, it is never to be found in historical texts and scholarly research. When the mind turned Gnosticism into a process of historical knowledge collection, it destroyed the essence of the Gnostics and turned it into yet another belief system; the search for knowledge.

      I'm not familiar with "historical gnosticism".

      Phil

    • Michael Leavitt
      Message 111 of 111 , Jan 16, 2008
        SORRY. :)