Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Faith vs Experience

  • souldreamone@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 111 , Jan 4, 2008
      In a message dated 1/4/2008 7:28:14 AM Pacific Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, theoj678@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 1/4/2008 6:09:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > souldreamone@... writes:
      >
      > one cannot know what is
      > true because conceptual truth is contextual.
      > -------------
      > So is the conclusion then that there are no absolute truths.
      > There are many truths; but there is nothing absolutely, unquestionably,
      > undeniably, nor permanently true.
      > thea

      Perhaps one could consider a distinction that the Gnostics made between absolute Truth and images thereof.

      From The Gospel According to Philip (Bentley Layton trans.) ~

      "Truth did not come to the world nakedly; rather, it came in prototypes and images:  the world will not accept it in any other form."

      and later:

      "Whoever receives that light will be invisible and cannot be restrained.  And nothing can harass such a person even while living in the world.  And, furthermore, when that person leaves this world, he or she has already received the truth in the form of images, and the world has already become the eternal realm.  For, to this person the eternal realm is fullness and, as such, is manifest to him or her alone – hidden not in darkness and night but hidden in perfect day and holy light."

      We as humans interpret conceptually and contextually.  According to these Valentinians, we can "know" in the sense of becoming acquainted with truth, experientially, intellectually, through those "prototypes and images".  We do not become fully dissolved in Truth, yet we can have an authentic acquaintance in our human state.

      In Gnostic systems, Truth was also not the complete, ultimate unknown reality.  It was an emanation, part of the Pleroma.

      We are not privy to all the direct initiation procedures of the ancient Gnostics.  Do you all think this is an encumbering factor in correctly understanding these "prototypes and images",… or not?

      Cari

      The only thing that encumbers Truth is mind's insistence that it knows something. Concepts and beliefs tell us what is and is not so, and nothing can be seen beyond those self imposed boundaries.
      Rituals and proceedures are as irrelevant as what you had for breakfast.

      Phil

    • Michael Leavitt
      Message 111 of 111 , Jan 16, 2008
        SORRY. :)