auto-apotheosis

  • Samgwan Spiess
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2007
      Greetings all!
      I am researching that specific feature of ancient Egyptian religion
      whereby the speaker identifies himself with a deity. I call it 'auto-
      apotheosis', but is there a formal term for it among scholars? It goes
      back at least to the PT, is prominent in the BD and in the PMD, but how
      was it understood by the ancients? What were their expectations when
      they used it? Does anyone know where I can find some scholarly
      treatments of this particular magical manoeuvre?

      It seems like the ancient writers simply charged ahead and deified
      themselves, often with multiple divinities of either sex.
      So amazing, profound & intriguing, yet so enigmatic! Iamblichus does
      touch on it at points and says the "divine emblems and symbols" empower
      the priests to identify themselves with the gods. The emblems he lists
      are the familiar painted images of the winged sun disk, Re in his boat
      and Harpocrates on the lotus.

      Perhaps you have already had such a discussion and can direct me to the
      past files? Thanx!!