About Zoroasterism and its connection with Gnosticism?

  • the_passerby7777
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2007
      Hello,

      I have been a member of this forum for years but have never been
      compelled to post, but I have enjoyed the discussions on the history
      of Gnosticism, I have definitely learned a thing or two from this
      place about historical Gnosticism (especially from PMCV - btw I am
      apart of The_Way forums and I participate often on there and I am
      apart of the Gnostic Pearl msn forum, where I am having a dispute with
      an individual about Gnosticism). But I have a bit of an issue. Someone
      from another forum, once told me this, "Zoroaster was the first
      historical personality to attain Gnosis." and how a person isn't a
      Gnostic unless they find agreement or are in harmony with what
      Zoroaster taught. He goes on to explain how Zoroaster influenced
      everything, and is pretty much where Gnosticism came from. Should I
      inform myself on Persian influence via Zoroastrism on Grecian thought
      and pretty much on Gnosticism in general to be well informed about
      Gnosticism?

      While I will not ask this individual about it, because he has an issue
      with me and I don't believe Zoroastrism really is that much like
      Gnosticism, the little that I have read up on it (its essential
      themes). So I am asking here since many of the individuals here know
      their stuff and can shed light on the historical significance of
      Zoroastrism on Gnosticism. Admittedly I am not a historian or scholar,
      which is why if I Zoroastrism is that relevant as this individual
      claims, then I should really not say a word about Gnosticism.

      Thanks,

      Shalom

      Ra.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "the_passerby7777"
        <rahimalka@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >

        > I have been a member of this forum for years but have never been
        > compelled to post, but I have enjoyed the discussions on the history
        > of Gnosticism, I have definitely learned a thing or two from this
        > place about historical Gnosticism (especially from PMCV - btw I am
        > apart of The_Way forums and I participate often on there and I am
        > apart of the Gnostic Pearl msn forum, where I am having a dispute
        with
        > an individual about Gnosticism). But I have a bit of an issue.
        Someone
        > from another forum, once told me this, "Zoroaster was the first
        > historical personality to attain Gnosis." and how a person isn't a
        > Gnostic unless they find agreement or are in harmony with what
        > Zoroaster taught. He goes on to explain how Zoroaster influenced
        > everything, and is pretty much where Gnosticism came from. Should I
        > inform myself on Persian influence via Zoroastrism on Grecian
        thought
        > and pretty much on Gnosticism in general to be well informed about
        > Gnosticism?
        >
        > While I will not ask this individual about it, because he has an
        issue
        > with me and I don't believe Zoroastrism really is that much like
        > Gnosticism, the little that I have read up on it (its essential
        > themes). So I am asking here since many of the individuals here know
        > their stuff and can shed light on the historical significance of
        > Zoroastrism on Gnosticism. Admittedly I am not a historian or
        scholar,
        > which is why if I Zoroastrism is that relevant as this individual
        > claims, then I should really not say a word about Gnosticism.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Shalom
        >
        > Ra.

        Greetings, Ra. I notice no one has jumped in yet to respond to you.
        Perhaps they feel as I do in that I don't want to become involved
        here in a dispute occurring in a different forum, particularly when
        one member apparently has a very strong belief about which historical
        personality was the first to attain gnosis.

        That said, I see no problem in investigating influences that
        contributed to the various syncretistic historical Gnostic groups.
        I'm going to throw the ball back in your yard. You say you've read a
        little about Zorastrianism. As far as our interest in this forum, on
        one hand, how closely did any various historical Gnostic groups
        identify themselves with Zoroaster? To what extent did they
        find `agreement' with what Zoroaster taught? On the other hand, upon
        examination, what types of Zoroastrian influences do you find in the
        ancient Gnostic sects, their cosmologies, etc.? And in what ways do
        they differ?

        Anyone care to bounce around some ideas or offer some readings we can
        discuss?