Re: What Gnosticism Means To Me

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2007
      Chester,

      Thank you for sharing these well written and thought-provoking
      reflections. I do have one question. You state the following:

      The disciples
      of Valentinus, a second century gnostic teach that an
      "elect", known as the pneumatics are destined to
      return to the ineffable god beyond this world. In
      effect, their spirits are the same divine essence as
      that of the ineffable god. Ritualized magic was
      therefore used to portend the elect's progression
      toward that perfection.

      I am curious to know more about these rituals. Can you direct me to
      some of the source material? Also, I am curious to know if these
      Valentinian practitioners actually understood these rituals
      as "ritualized magic."

      Thanks!
      Mark

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Chester Elders