Re: knowledge

    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 4, 2007
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "gortoz77" <gortoz77@...> wrote:

      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "gortoz77" <gortoz77@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > […]
      > > > I aslo joined one other gnostic group when you were
      > > > away . This question was also raised there .
      > > > […]
      > > > Im not sure if this is correct , but , the original word
      > > > jealous was checked to translate into 'unceasing'. Thats a lot
      > > > different than jealous .
      > > > […]
      > > >
      > > > From Gort ,
      > > >

      > > Indeed, Gort, I would have to agree that "unceasing" is quite
      > > different from "jealous." Given that you seem to have an
      > > aversion to conducting further research in books regarding these
      > > questions due to what you deem contradictory claims, I'm somewhat
      > > disappointed that you seem far more willing to accept information
      > you
      > > encounter on the Internet with less of a critical eye—especially
      > > when your gut instinct appears to raise a red flag on the issue.
      > Please
      > > find below some links that will clarify the definition of the
      word
      > (and
      > > its original root) used in the OT verses:
      > >

      > Hi Gerry ,
      > Thanks for the links , but words do get a little
      > limited at times . I've learnt to avoid 'expert' opinions .
      > Why should the internet and peoples opinions and
      > experiences , be any less authorative than a boook ? Many
      > books arent worth the paper they are written on . But thats
      > just my opinion .
      > Books are roads , some good some bad , they are NOT the
      > destination . Many books can lead you down the wrong road .
      > True understanding or gnosis of things above , can never
      > ever be found in a book .
      > Did the serpent offer them a book ? Reading about
      > apples is no substitute for tasting one . Dont you agree ?
      >
      > Regards Gort ,

      Hi there, Gort.

      I don't see where Gerry suggested that people's opinions on the
      internet were any less authoritative than a book. I believe he was
      talking about being equally critical of information found on the
      internet. Also, I'm not sure how critiquing the definition
      of "jealousy" ended up being associated with Gnosis in books, but, in
      any event, you are not the first one to express an aversion to so-
      called "experts" and their books. I do admit, though, that I also am
      baffled why you might consider an opinion from someone on the
      internet, whom you do not know, to be preferable to a so-called
      expert. They could both be hogwash. And, for that matter, an
      internet person might also be an author.

      Would you agree, or not, that many books are a means of relaying to
      others information derived from various sorts of experience? And
      that some of these might be written by people with much expertise in
      certain ways. Yes, some are reliable, and others are bunkum.

      Why should we pit one against the other ~ books and experience? Can
      they not work together as sources of information? Also, would you
      agree that experience could entail intellectual or technical
      experience as well as emotional or sensual experience? It's not
      evident that the Gnostics viewed mystical or spiritual experience as
      being solely in one camp or another.

      Tasting an apple is but part of the experience of learning about an
      apple. Besides, it is my opinion that "tasting" in this case is a
      metaphor for more than the literal sensual experience. But to use a
      practical example, the sensual experience of tasting might introduce
      one to a firsthand familiarity of an aspect of `apple'. It does not,
      however, let one know what variety of apple or whether the apple is
      rotten, for example, until one compares with other experiences, one's
      own and perhaps, for added perspective, those of other people through
      conversation, books, etc.

      There are other aspects of `apple' one might want to discover.
      Perhaps one could explore the apple more fully with other senses.
      Taste alone also involves the senses of touch and smell. Furthermore
      one even might read and mull over writings by others who have
      specialized in scientific analysis of an apple's chemical composition.
      http://fst.sagepub.com/cgi/content/refs/12/6/477

      What does "tasting" an apple mean in Genesis? To what extent one
      interprets this literally or metaphorically would have significance
      regarding meaning.

      In Gnostic literature, one might consider Allogenes as being a kind
      of expert. The Foreigner "prepared" himself and "deliberated for a
      hundred years" before having the abstract, mystical vision he wrote
      about. Then the luminaries instructed him to write down what he was
      told. So, that is what the Foreigner did for the sake of others to
      read who were "worthy."

      Is this book reliable or not?

      I suppose that is where critical judgment comes into play. And we
      might use all kinds of experience in making a decision, understanding
      that with further reliable experiential information we just might
      change our minds.

      If in your experience, Gort, you feel that "unceasing" is "a lot
      different than "jealous", you could just leave it at that. Or you
      could question the person who supplied that information as to how or
      where he obtained it. And you could even do a bit of research
      yourself to compare findings. There are lots of options, depending
      on your interest.

      One could have personal experience or vision or intellectual
      abstraction and call it Gnosis. Why not? In addition, one could
      call it Gnosis and still have an interest in other people's ideas
      of "Gnosis" for comparison. Some of these people might even be
      dead. And the only way we know of their thoughts and experiences
      would be through their writings. Some modern people even like to
      specialize in learning about these ancient writings to try to
      understand the authors' intentions. And there are different ways to
      approach these writings, just as there are different ways of knowing
      an actual apple or learning about jealousy.

      I guess my point is that no one here is asking anyone to accept
      others' beliefs, but it seems to me that avoiding particular
      opinions, just because they are considered by some to be "expert" and
      contained in a book, and relying more on random opinions and
      experiences expressed by people on the internet or in conversation
      would be passing up a possible valuable source of information. Why
      not consider a mix?

      I'll stop here before I end up being accused of writing an entire
      tome. *lol*

      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 5, 2007
        DOH!

        I started a post in answer to this same querry, but I had not been
        able to get back to complete it before today. I knew Lady Cari was
        busy, but I also knew that as dedicated as she is she would jump
        right back in the mix as soon as she was able.... so I was trying to
        get to it to give her some time off. I was about two thirds done,
        but since I see that Lady Cary expressed almost identical
        observations (and as always, much better than I generally can) I'll
        just erase my own response and say "ditto".

        I'll try to concentrate on the other post I was working on at the
        same time conversing with some of Chester's points instead.

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>