Re: knowledge

    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 29, 2007
      Hey Gort

      >>>This group is hard to keep up with<<<

      Sorry it sometimes takes me so long to get back to conversation. As
      Lady Cari points out I have been very busy (and that has been true
      of her and our other mod Gerry as well as some of the regular
      posters in here lately). This forum is recently slower than most of
      the other forums in this subject heading, but I would rather
      critical perspective over volume in any case.

      >>>Well thats interesting , 'understand' in latin is AGNOSTO , and
      surprisingly also VIDEO !!! Do you think maybe the coptic predated
      the latin ? Is it right to say latin came from coptic ?<<<

      I am not sure (please correct me if I am wrong), but perhaps the
      word you intended was "agnosco" rather than "agnosto"? The root of
      the Latin in the former case is "noscere", and it does have a very
      similar meaning to the Greek "gnosis". Video also can have a similar
      meaning (to see), just as you point out.

      As for the Coptic texts we are talking about, they borrow the word
      from the Greek (which does predate Latin, of course). Most of the
      texts we are talking about here survive in Coptic, but they were
      originally written in Greek. Not only Greek in the general usage,
      but specifically the Platonist Greek esoteric lingo that informed
      the historical category of "Gnosticism". It is that meaning of the
      word "Gnosis" (with a capital "G") that we try to explore here.

      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 5 4:42 PM

        I started a post in answer to this same querry, but I had not been
        able to get back to complete it before today. I knew Lady Cari was
        busy, but I also knew that as dedicated as she is she would jump
        right back in the mix as soon as she was able.... so I was trying to
        get to it to give her some time off. I was about two thirds done,
        but since I see that Lady Cary expressed almost identical
        observations (and as always, much better than I generally can) I'll
        just erase my own response and say "ditto".

        I'll try to concentrate on the other post I was working on at the
        same time conversing with some of Chester's points instead.

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>