RE : [Gnosticism2] Re: What is knowledge?

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
      Souran, does it not occur to you that Mark's gentle levity could have
      served to bring your attention to the officious, irritating tone of
      your sentence,
      "and please do NOT beat about the bush!"?

      Does it not occur to you that no one else has responded to you
      perhaps because your first post in the group came on like
      gangbusters? And please, no more comments will be tolerated about
      being "blind at heart" or such further insults.

      I'm curious. Do YOU "identify gnosticism with knowledge"? Do you
      have some background or have you read about this subject?

      For starters, a list of attributes of Gnosis can be found in
      our "Files" section:

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Soran Mardini <souranmardini@...>

      _______
      > Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez vos mails vers
      Yahoo! Mail

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
        Wow, my previous message came in as SPAM in my Yahoo mailbox. Gotta
        love Yahoo. *lol*

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
          Souran

          >>>bush with small letter unlike Mark with Capital
          letter, for those who are not blind at heart.<<<

          As Cari points out, we all understood Mark's humor and it did not
          invite attack.

          Ok, to your original question.

          >>>If you identify gnosticism with knowledge, then, what IS
          knowledge? and please do NOT beat about the bush!<<<

          You are actually raising two different issues with this question.
          One is an issue of translation, and the other is one of epistemology.

          In order to not beat around the bush let me start out by stating it
          is not a matter of "IF" for the identification of gnosis with
          knowledge. If you have a good dictionary you can look the word up
          and find that the root meaning (and root word) is in fact simpy an
          etymological fact. You may notice the odd g at the beginning of one
          word, and the odd k on the other. The (overly) simple version of the
          story is that this g eventually turned into a k in the English
          language. We actually do still have English words that have the
          original spelling, such as "prognosis".

          So... in the original Greek, terms that use this root (gignosko,
          gnosis) are generally translated as know, knowing, knowledge, etc.

          Now on to your question of what is knowledge. Entire books have been
          written on this subject, so I can't assume you would really like
          somebody to fully address the whole topic in a single post. Besides
          that, since this forum deals specifically with traditional
          Gnosticism I have to assume you really meant only to ask about what
          the term means in the context of traditional Gnostic thinking.

          We have actually discussed this topic at lenght in here previously,
          so it is possible to look up the previous conversations if you wish.
          Also, Cari points out that we have some definitions and outlines in
          our files section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/files/
          and that you can find in our links
          http://www.geocities.com/pmcvflag/lexicon.html

          The first of the two urls I just posted deals specifically with
          attributes that I believe are present in relation to the concept of
          Gnosis in the historical Gnostic texts. In other words, this is what
          I think the Gnostics of old meant by the concept of "Gnosis".