Re: What is knowledge?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2007
      What does Bush have to do with knowledge or gnosticism?

      Mark (sorry, I couldn't resist)

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "souranmardini" <souranmardini@...>
      wrote:

      > If you identify gnosticism with knowledge,
      > then, what IS knowledge? and please do NOT beat about the bush!
      > Souran

    • Soran Mardini
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 2007
        bush with small letter unlike Mark with Capital
        letter, for those who are not blind at heart.
        (I couldn't resist either)
        Souran

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
          Souran, does it not occur to you that Mark's gentle levity could have
          served to bring your attention to the officious, irritating tone of
          your sentence,
          "and please do NOT beat about the bush!"?

          Does it not occur to you that no one else has responded to you
          perhaps because your first post in the group came on like
          gangbusters? And please, no more comments will be tolerated about
          being "blind at heart" or such further insults.

          I'm curious. Do YOU "identify gnosticism with knowledge"? Do you
          have some background or have you read about this subject?

          For starters, a list of attributes of Gnosis can be found in
          our "Files" section:

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Soran Mardini <souranmardini@...>

          _______
          > Ne gardez plus qu'une seule adresse mail ! Copiez vos mails vers
          Yahoo! Mail

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
            Wow, my previous message came in as SPAM in my Yahoo mailbox. Gotta
            love Yahoo. *lol*

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
              Souran

              >>>bush with small letter unlike Mark with Capital
              letter, for those who are not blind at heart.<<<

              As Cari points out, we all understood Mark's humor and it did not
              invite attack.

              Ok, to your original question.

              >>>If you identify gnosticism with knowledge, then, what IS
              knowledge? and please do NOT beat about the bush!<<<

              You are actually raising two different issues with this question.
              One is an issue of translation, and the other is one of epistemology.

              In order to not beat around the bush let me start out by stating it
              is not a matter of "IF" for the identification of gnosis with
              knowledge. If you have a good dictionary you can look the word up
              and find that the root meaning (and root word) is in fact simpy an
              etymological fact. You may notice the odd g at the beginning of one
              word, and the odd k on the other. The (overly) simple version of the
              story is that this g eventually turned into a k in the English
              language. We actually do still have English words that have the
              original spelling, such as "prognosis".

              So... in the original Greek, terms that use this root (gignosko,
              gnosis) are generally translated as know, knowing, knowledge, etc.

              Now on to your question of what is knowledge. Entire books have been
              written on this subject, so I can't assume you would really like
              somebody to fully address the whole topic in a single post. Besides
              that, since this forum deals specifically with traditional
              Gnosticism I have to assume you really meant only to ask about what
              the term means in the context of traditional Gnostic thinking.

              We have actually discussed this topic at lenght in here previously,
              so it is possible to look up the previous conversations if you wish.
              Also, Cari points out that we have some definitions and outlines in
              our files section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gnosticism2/files/
              and that you can find in our links
              http://www.geocities.com/pmcvflag/lexicon.html

              The first of the two urls I just posted deals specifically with
              attributes that I believe are present in relation to the concept of
              Gnosis in the historical Gnostic texts. In other words, this is what
              I think the Gnostics of old meant by the concept of "Gnosis".