Re: Tillich and the Demiurge

  • Verna Leigh Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
      This reminded me of something I saw quoted in someone's signature
      (can't remember where) but it said,
      I say there are many gods, but one God of all these gods,
      incomprehensible and unknown to all, ... a Power of immeasurable and
      ineffable Light, whose greatness is held to be incomprehensible, a
      Tower which the maker of the world does not know.
      I don't know what the quote was from.
      blessings and peas
      DarkCHylde

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <larockpitts@...> wrote:

      > It appears that others have also made this connection between
      Tillich
      > and his idea of "a God beyond God" with the Gnostic understanding
      of
      > God.
      >
      > "Some of the Gnostic views of cosmology were different than both
      > Jewish and Christian traditional interpretations. Like Paul
      Tillich,
      > they asked the question is there a "God beyond God"? So in their
      > attempt to define or explain evil , they said there was a more
      > perfect God than the one who created and observes all the evil on
      > earth. Is our God too small? Maybe as Tillich questioned there is
      > God beyond the God we create."
      > http://gnosticschristians.com/wst_page4.html
      >
      > The Genesis Factor, by Stephan A. Hoeller
      > "While the concept of two Gods is horrifying to the
      monotheistically
      > conditioned mind, it is not illogical or improbable. Modem
      > theologians, particularly Paul Tillich, have boldly referred
      to "the
      > God above God." Tillich introduced the term "ground of being" as
      > alternative language to express the divine. The ideas of the old
      > Gnostics seem not so outdated after all."
      > http://www.gnosis.org/genesis.html
      >
      > It also seems that even during Tillich's lifetime he was accused of
      > being a "modern Gnostic" and did his best to refute this.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <larockpitts@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Paul Tillich (1868-1965), a liberal Christian theologian, felt
      that
      > the
      > > concept of a "Personal God" as held by many main-line Christians
      > was a
      > > concept that destroyed any meaningful idea of God. Instead, he
      > spoke
      > > of a "God" that was above this personal God, a "God above God,"
      > which
      > > he understood as the "Ground of Being." Since all language, when
      > it
      > > comes to describing God, is metaphorical and reflects the culture
      > in
      > > which it arose, I am wondering if Tillich--not intentionally or
      > > consciously--is merely restating, in the
      philosophical/theological