Re: Classifications among the Valentinians

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 29, 2007
      dwain,

      I would agree it is valuable to see something from a multitude of
      perspectives--and often the more radically opposite the perspective,
      the more it may help bring that "something" into focus. Due in large
      part to the Nag Hammadi discoveries and others, the orthodox
      persepctive is now one among many and we are the richer for that. I
      am fond of a quote from Jeffrey Butz's book, _The Brother of Jesus_
      (p. 162), "Orthodoxy is merely the most successful heresy."

      BTW, I like your Kandinsky quote and the way it speaks to the
      relationship between form and content.

      Mark

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, dwain <dwain.alford@...> wrote:

      > Mark wrote:
      > >
      > > dwain,
      > >
      > > I deal with this alternate interpretation as I deal with all the
      > > alternates: I pick the one that speaks to me. Hearing that which
      > > speaks to one is part of one's gnosis. If this alternate
      > > interpretation speaks to you, I affirm your gnosis.
      > >
      > > Mark
      > >
      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>, dwain <dwain.alford@>
      wrote:

      > > with
      > > > >

      > > > how do you deal with the alternate gnostic approach that the
      > > crucifixion was a sham and also that jesus was satan and that john
      > > the baptist was the true messiah?
      > > >
      > > > dwain
      > > > --
      > > > Dwain Alford
      > > > web: http://www.studiokdd.com <http://www.studiokdd.com>
      > > >
      > > > "The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
      > > > for his inner impulse must find suitable expression." Kandinsky
      > > >

      > it's not that i think it is correct, it is one of the alternates,
      as you
      > call it, that adds perspective to any understanding. questions are
      good
      > in that they allow for growth. i assume that if one was raised in
      > christian atmosphere, this thinking would seem at odds with what
      one was
      > raised to "believe". in fact, gnosticism is at odds
      with "catholic"
      > (read universal) orthodoxy.
      >
      > dwain
      >
      > --
      > Dwain Alford
      > web: http://www.studiokdd.com
      >
      > "The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
      > for his inner impulse must find suitable expression." Kandinsky

    • dwain
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 29, 2007
        Mark wrote:

        > dwain,
        >
        > I would agree it is valuable to see something from a multitude of
        > perspectives--and often the more radically opposite the perspective,
        > the more it may help bring that "something" into focus. Due in large
        > part to the Nag Hammadi discoveries and others, the orthodox
        > persepctive is now one among many and we are the richer for that. I
        > am fond of a quote from Jeffrey Butz's book, _The Brother of Jesus_
        > (p. 162), "Orthodoxy is merely the most successful heresy."
        >
        > BTW, I like your Kandinsky quote and the way it speaks to the
        > relationship between form and content.
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>, dwain <dwain.alford@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mark wrote:
        > > >
        > > > dwain,
        > > >
        > > > I deal with this alternate interpretation as I deal with all the
        > > > alternates: I pick the one that speaks to me. Hearing that which
        > > > speaks to one is part of one's gnosis. If this alternate
        > > > interpretation speaks to you, I affirm your gnosis.
        > > >
        > > > Mark
        > > >
        > > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>, dwain <dwain.alford@>

        > personal
        > better
        > > > with

        > > > crucifixion was a sham and also that jesus was satan and that john
        > > > the baptist was the true messiah?

        > <http://www.studiokdd.com <http://www.studiokdd.com>>

        > > it's not that i think it is correct, it is one of the alternates,
        > as you
        > > call it, that adds perspective to any understanding. questions are
        > good
        > > in that they allow for growth. i assume that if one was raised in
        > > christian atmosphere, this thinking would seem at odds with what
        > one was
        > > raised to "believe". in fact, gnosticism is at odds
        > with "catholic"
        > > (read universal) orthodoxy.
        > >
        > > dwain
        > >
        > > --
        > > Dwain Alford
        > > web: http://www.studiokdd.com <http://www.studiokdd.com>
        > >
        > > "The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
        > > for his inner impulse must find suitable expression." Kandinsky

        thanks. i rather like it too.

        a little off topic, but have you or any of the group read holy blood,
        holy grail? the authors talk of the gnostics and their contributions.

        dwain

        --
        Dwain Alford
        web: http://www.studiokdd.com