RE: [Gnosticism2] Re: Classifications among the Valentinians

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
      Hi everyone,
      I've been a member here for a little while but not sure I've ever posted.
      Sorry if this is way off topic but it seems to apply to this conversation :)
      If anyone (Mark ?) has an opinion about Interfaith Seminary schools (for
      example: http://newseminary.org/ ) and ordination as an Interfaith Minister
      I would love to read it.

      Thanks!
      Lisa

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 28, 2007
        Mark wrote:

        > dwain,
        >
        > I deal with this alternate interpretation as I deal with all the
        > alternates: I pick the one that speaks to me. Hearing that which
        > speaks to one is part of one's gnosis. If this alternate
        > interpretation speaks to you, I affirm your gnosis.
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>, dwain <dwain.alford@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mark wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Cari,
        > > >
        > > > The person directly experiences the
        > > > presence of the risen Christ in the form of his or her personal
        > > > angel." This interpretation of this experience resonates better
        > with
        > > > me.
        > > >

        > > how do you deal with the alternate gnostic approach that the
        > crucifixion was a sham and also that jesus was satan and that john
        > the baptist was the true messiah?
        > >
        > > dwain
        > > --
        > > Dwain Alford
        > > web: http://www.studiokdd.com <http://www.studiokdd.com>
        > >
        > > "The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
        > > for his inner impulse must find suitable expression." Kandinsky

        it's not that i think it is correct, it is one of the alternates, as you
        call it, that adds perspective to any understanding. questions are good
        in that they allow for growth. i assume that if one was raised in a
        christian atmosphere, this thinking would seem at odds with what one was
        raised to "believe". in fact, gnosticism is at odds with "catholic"
        (read universal) orthodoxy.

        dwain

        --
        Dwain Alford
        web: http://www.studiokdd.com

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 29, 2007

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <larockpitts@...> wrote:

          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas no_reply@ wrote:
          >

          > > I was under the impression that most hospitals ask if one has a
          > > religious preference in order to better facilitate "spiritual"
          > > care from pastors, etc. This past year I was in a surgical lounge of
          > > metropolitan hospital with a relative who was awaiting surgery.
          > > I've never experienced this before, but a pastor moved around the
          > > room talking with individual groups of people, asking if people wanted
          > > to pray with him. He was offering a Christian prayer. I'm sure
          > > many of the Christians would find this appropriate; however, the
          > pastor
          > > initially wouldn't have known whether they were Jews, Muslims,
          > > Buddhists, atheists, etc. unless they spoke up. One might even run
          > into
          > > a Mandaean. ;-)
          > >

          > Concerning this pastor and his actions: as the hospital staff chaplain
          > I would ask him to leave and not come back and call security if needed
          > (as I have done before if I find a pastor visiting people who are not
          > of their faith tradition and invited). This kind of "pastoral care" is
          > inappropriate in a multi-cultural, multi-faith setting such as most
          > healthcare institutions today. Board certified chaplains today are
          > trained to work with a variety of faiths or no faith in the provision
          > of spiritual care. You may read an article I wrote on this topic at
          > http://www.hds.harvard.edu/news/bulletin/articles/larocca-pitts.html.

          Mark, thank you for the article.  It was very informative.  I can see that when approached with training and sensitivity, a hospital staff chaplain's work can be quite challenging as well as satisfying.

          I'll repost your link without the added ending period, so that members can access the article more easily:

          http://www.hds.harvard.edu/news/bulletin/articles/larocca-pitts.html

          > I generally find my work more satisfying the less traditional a
          > person's spiritual path is. I am a seeker who has found a path that
          > feeds my soul and enjoy traveling with others on other paths that feed
          > them. Within Valentinus and Sethian traditions I have found much that
          > speaks to me and that is currently informing my path.
          >
          > I will check out your link on angels. Thanks!
          >
          > Mark

          You're welcome, Mark.  I'll be interested to hear whatever you care to share about Valentinians and Sethians that speaks to you, whenever you have some time.

          Cari

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 29, 2007
            dwain,

            I would agree it is valuable to see something from a multitude of
            perspectives--and often the more radically opposite the perspective,
            the more it may help bring that "something" into focus. Due in large
            part to the Nag Hammadi discoveries and others, the orthodox
            persepctive is now one among many and we are the richer for that. I
            am fond of a quote from Jeffrey Butz's book, _The Brother of Jesus_
            (p. 162), "Orthodoxy is merely the most successful heresy."

            BTW, I like your Kandinsky quote and the way it speaks to the
            relationship between form and content.

            Mark

            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, dwain <dwain.alford@...> wrote:

            > Mark wrote:
            > >
            > > dwain,
            > >
            > > I deal with this alternate interpretation as I deal with all the
            > > alternates: I pick the one that speaks to me. Hearing that which
            > > speaks to one is part of one's gnosis. If this alternate
            > > interpretation speaks to you, I affirm your gnosis.
            > >
            > > Mark
            > >
            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>, dwain <dwain.alford@>
            wrote:

            > > with
            > > > >

            > > > how do you deal with the alternate gnostic approach that the
            > > crucifixion was a sham and also that jesus was satan and that john
            > > the baptist was the true messiah?
            > > >
            > > > dwain
            > > > --
            > > > Dwain Alford
            > > > web: http://www.studiokdd.com <http://www.studiokdd.com>
            > > >
            > > > "The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
            > > > for his inner impulse must find suitable expression." Kandinsky
            > > >

            > it's not that i think it is correct, it is one of the alternates,
            as you
            > call it, that adds perspective to any understanding. questions are
            good
            > in that they allow for growth. i assume that if one was raised in
            > christian atmosphere, this thinking would seem at odds with what
            one was
            > raised to "believe". in fact, gnosticism is at odds
            with "catholic"
            > (read universal) orthodoxy.
            >
            > dwain
            >
            > --
            > Dwain Alford
            > web: http://www.studiokdd.com
            >
            > "The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
            > for his inner impulse must find suitable expression." Kandinsky

          • dwain
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 29, 2007
              Mark wrote:

              > dwain,
              >
              > I would agree it is valuable to see something from a multitude of
              > perspectives--and often the more radically opposite the perspective,
              > the more it may help bring that "something" into focus. Due in large
              > part to the Nag Hammadi discoveries and others, the orthodox
              > persepctive is now one among many and we are the richer for that. I
              > am fond of a quote from Jeffrey Butz's book, _The Brother of Jesus_
              > (p. 162), "Orthodoxy is merely the most successful heresy."
              >
              > BTW, I like your Kandinsky quote and the way it speaks to the
              > relationship between form and content.
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>, dwain <dwain.alford@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Mark wrote:
              > > >
              > > > dwain,
              > > >
              > > > I deal with this alternate interpretation as I deal with all the
              > > > alternates: I pick the one that speaks to me. Hearing that which
              > > > speaks to one is part of one's gnosis. If this alternate
              > > > interpretation speaks to you, I affirm your gnosis.
              > > >
              > > > Mark
              > > >
              > > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > > <mailto:gnosticism2%40yahoogroups.com>, dwain <dwain.alford@>

              > personal
              > better
              > > > with

              > > > crucifixion was a sham and also that jesus was satan and that john
              > > > the baptist was the true messiah?

              > <http://www.studiokdd.com <http://www.studiokdd.com>>

              > > it's not that i think it is correct, it is one of the alternates,
              > as you
              > > call it, that adds perspective to any understanding. questions are
              > good
              > > in that they allow for growth. i assume that if one was raised in
              > > christian atmosphere, this thinking would seem at odds with what
              > one was
              > > raised to "believe". in fact, gnosticism is at odds
              > with "catholic"
              > > (read universal) orthodoxy.
              > >
              > > dwain
              > >
              > > --
              > > Dwain Alford
              > > web: http://www.studiokdd.com <http://www.studiokdd.com>
              > >
              > > "The artist may use any form which his expression demands;
              > > for his inner impulse must find suitable expression." Kandinsky

              thanks. i rather like it too.

              a little off topic, but have you or any of the group read holy blood,
              holy grail? the authors talk of the gnostics and their contributions.

              dwain

              --
              Dwain Alford
              web: http://www.studiokdd.com