Re: Mysticism a Regressional Experience?

  • gnostic_ken
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 8, 2007

      > DharmaGnosis is a group run by Tom Ragland. The subject matter as
      > understand it is a sort of Jungian conjuction between Kabbalah,
      > Eastern mysticism (especially Buddhism), and a notion of gnosis as
      > sort of general mystical realization. Though it does not seem to
      be
      > the focus, the forum has not discouraged critical discussion when
      > the subject has come up.

      Hi PMCV,
      Tom is also a moderator of GnosticThought.

      > Gnostic_Cafe is run by Ms Jenny (aka Vee). The subject matter is a
      > wider and looser grouping of modern spiritual mystical thinking in
      > very informal setting (as I guess the word "Cafe" in the title
      would
      > suggest).

      Jenny is Jungian Gnostic. She has disappeared as she does from time
      to time. The last time she disappeared she deleted her Jung cafe
      group. This time she left her cafe running on automatic.

      > GnosticThought is run by GnosticKen (aka George). It deals with
      what
      > Ken has termed "New Age" Gnostic thinking (which I think may be
      > similar to what I would call "eclectic relativism", but I could be
      > wrong and I don't intend to put words in Ken's mouth), and allows
      > for some exploration of a number of systems from personal
      > perspectives.

      GnosticThought is only "New Age" in the same sense this group
      is "New Age." That is we are not traditional Christian
      as "Christian" has been defined for the past 1600 or so years. We
      are part of the new age of openness, diversity and tolerance. When I
      said "we are all of the new age" I was including you ;-)

      GnosticThought could be defined as having the exact opposite focus
      of this group. While this group is about historical gnosticism and
      modern personal experiences are not off topic so long as they are
      related to historical gnosticism in some way, GnosticThought is
      about modern personal Gnosis and related mystic experiences with
      some historical discussion hopefully relating to modern personal
      experiences.

      I don't remember ever saying GnosticThought is "New Age" because
      spelling it with capital letters usually refers to the loose
      movement personified by Shirley MacLaine. The only Gnostic movement
      I know of that would fit that definition of New Age would be Sylvia
      Browne's Gnostics. While Sylvia Browne Gnostics are welcome on
      GnosticThought they are generally not real comfortable with the
      range of viewpoints there. They generally want to talk about
      Sylvia's personal mythology and most of us relate more to historical
      Gnostic mythology than to Sylvia's mythology. Several, such as Tom
      and Steve, seem to relate most to Buddhism.

      Ken
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 8, 2007
        Hey Ken

        >>>Tom is also a moderator of GnosticThought.<<<

        Ah, yes... and after I posted I thought about at and realized I
        should have posted all of the mods of the groups. Isn't Brenda also
        a mod there?

        >>>GnosticThought is only "New Age" in the same sense this group
        is "New Age." That is we are not traditional Christian
        as "Christian" has been defined for the past 1600 or so years. We
        are part of the new age of openness, diversity and tolerance. When I
        said "we are all of the new age" I was including you ;-)<<<

        That sounds like what I picked up as well. So my term "eclective
        relativism" seems not so far off the mark in intent.

        >>>GnosticThought could be defined as having the exact opposite focus
        of this group. While this group is about historical gnosticism and
        modern personal experiences are not off topic so long as they are
        related to historical gnosticism in some way, GnosticThought is
        about modern personal Gnosis and related mystic experiences with
        some historical discussion hopefully relating to modern personal
        experiences.<<<

        I think that is a good observation of the primary differences
        between the groups. I am glad to see that there are others here who
        understand how this forum is meant to function so that it is not
        simply that us mods have completely failed to communicate it.

        PMCV
      • gnostic_ken
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 9, 2007

          > Hey Ken

          > Ah, yes... and after I posted I thought about at and realized I
          > should have posted all of the mods of the groups. Isn't Brenda
          also
          > a mod there?

          > is "New Age." That is we are not traditional Christian
          > as "Christian" has been defined for the past 1600 or so years. We
          > are part of the new age of openness, diversity and tolerance. When
          > said "we are all of the new age" I was including you ;-)<<<
          >
          > That sounds like what I picked up as well. So my term "eclective
          > relativism" seems not so far off the mark in intent.

          > of this group. While this group is about historical gnosticism and
          > modern personal experiences are not off topic so long as they are
          > related to historical gnosticism in some way, GnosticThought is
          > about modern personal Gnosis and related mystic experiences with
          > some historical discussion hopefully relating to modern personal
          > experiences.<<<
          >
          > I think that is a good observation of the primary differences
          > between the groups. I am glad to see that there are others here
          who
          > understand how this forum is meant to function so that it is not
          > simply that us mods have completely failed to communicate it.
          >
          > PMCV

          Hi PMCV,
          Yes Brenda is also one of the GnosticThought moderators.

          You have always been quite clear about the focus of this group. I
          have no idea why so many people seem to misunderstand.

          I do know from experience that no matter how clear we try to be
          somebody will always misunderstand. Those who misunderstand seem to
          talk (write) the most ;-)

          So my point is it's certainly not your fault. You are and always
          have been as clear as you possibly can be.

          Ken
        • gnostic_ken
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 26, 2007
            > Jenny is Jungian Gnostic. She has disappeared as she does from time
            > to time. The last time she disappeared she deleted her Jung cafe
            > group. This time she left her cafe running on automatic.

            Update: Jenny is now back.

            Ken