Re: Rex Mundi film,

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 26, 2007

      > lady_caritas wrote:
      > > You mention that written works have their place. If I may ask,
      what
      > > place is that? If Truth is found "only through experiential
      Gnosis,"
      > > what does the adjective "experiential" encompass? From your
      reading
      > > of the NHL you mention and other literature, what would the
      ancients
      > > take this to mean?
      > >

      > To me Cari, the books are the lead into the experiential thing, no
      more
      > no less, sort of like a road map. Now I'll shut up and let the two
      of
      > you talk.

      Hi, Mike. Certainly there is no need to "shut up." Silence can be
      deafening at times. ;-)

      So, if "books are the lead into the experiential thing," as you say,
      could one also place other things like ritual as part of the
      direction, part of the "road map"? Actually, does one even need
      books or rituals in order to generate whatever this "experiential
      thing" is you mention? Or are you referring to a
      unique "experiential thing"? I guess what I'm thinking is that
      specific guides might influence direction or quality or framework of
      a certain "experiential thing." In fact, all these could be
      considered part of the whole experiential process, even as various
      facets could be readdressed during an ongoing progression?

      And even though many different written words and everyday life
      rituals could influence a mystical episode or a progression of
      spiritual occurrences and inner exploration in someone's life, it
      seems that there are specific paths that rely on particular
      precedents, taken together as an interrelated whole, in order to
      accomplish desired results within a distinctive context. Gaining
      inner knowledge or spiritual clarity or whatever is sought after is
      not always a free-for-all, taking various elements out of context,
      when it comes to methodology.

      A question might remain whether all the guides make any difference in
      the uniqueness or authenticity of a mystical experience. And that is
      outside the scope of our group. What seems apparent to me, however,
      is that how one interprets the experience, how much emphasis one
      places on a mystical episode in relation to other aspects of the
      process, and how one proceeds in this existent life are factors that
      can be observed, apart from judging as to efficacy. And the Gnostic
      writings do give us some information on that score.

      Anyway, I'll stop here for now to allow for others' coments.

      Cari
    • Michael Leavitt
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 26, 2007
        lady_caritas wrote:
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
        >

        >> lady_caritas wrote:
        >>
        >>> You mention that written works have their place. If I may ask,
        >>>
        > what
        >
        >>> place is that? If Truth is found "only through experiential
        >>>
        > Gnosis,"
        >
        >>> what does the adjective "experiential" encompass? From your
        >>>
        > reading
        >
        >>> of the NHL you mention and other literature, what would the
        >>>
        > ancients
        >
        >>> take this to mean?
        >>>

        >> To me Cari, the books are the lead into the experiential thing, no
        >>
        > more
        >
        >> no less, sort of like a road map. Now I'll shut up and let the two
        >>
        > of
        >
        >> you talk.
        >>

        > Hi, Mike. Certainly there is no need to "shut up." Silence can be
        > deafening at times. ;-)
        >
        > So, if "books are the lead into the experiential thing," as you say,
        > could one also place other things like ritual as part of the
        > direction, part of the "road map"? Actually, does one even need
        > books or rituals in order to generate whatever this "experiential
        > thing" is you mention? Or are you referring to a
        > unique "experiential thing"? I guess what I'm thinking is that
        > specific guides might influence direction or quality or framework of
        > a certain "experiential thing." In fact, all these could be
        > considered part of the whole experiential process, even as various
        > facets could be readdressed during an ongoing progression?
        >
        > And even though many different written words and everyday life
        > rituals could influence a mystical episode or a progression of
        > spiritual occurrences and inner exploration in someone's life, it
        > seems that there are specific paths that rely on particular
        > precedents, taken together as an interrelated whole, in order to
        > accomplish desired results within a distinctive context. Gaining
        > inner knowledge or spiritual clarity or whatever is sought after is
        > not always a free-for-all, taking various elements out of context,
        > when it comes to methodology.
        >
        > A question might remain whether all the guides make any difference in
        > the uniqueness or authenticity of a mystical experience. And that is
        > outside the scope of our group. What seems apparent to me, however,
        > is that how one interprets the experience, how much emphasis one
        > places on a mystical episode in relation to other aspects of the
        > process, and how one proceeds in this existent life are factors that
        > can be observed, apart from judging as to efficacy. And the Gnostic
        > writings do give us some information on that score.
        >
        > Anyway, I'll stop here for now to allow for others' coments.
        >
        > Cari

        I agree, and ritual has its part. Being ordained a Deacon and then a
        Priest were numinous experiences, but geared to service, and initiation
        in support thereof. The mass can do this to you as can Golden Dawn
        rituals, these are all I'm familiar with. All have had their effect.
        Reading Zostranos, I was there with him for a while, and that was not
        the only instance. When I read Gareth Knight on the paths, I worked
        them. My psyche got thrown all over the place. So reading has its place.