Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Rex Mundi film,

  • Michael Leavitt
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 12, 2007
      > Greetings, Mike and PMCV:
      >
      > AMEN! It's about time that people accept that, in fact, "The Da Vinci
      > Code" is a book of fictions, not inspired by the True God, but
      > comprised of a clever concoction of facts but mostly theories put
      > together to make money, promote movies, and to be the new hot topic of
      > bloggers galore. Furthermore, a lot of his "facts and theories" are
      > imperfectly understood and, consequently, render a very imperfect
      > "gnostic" revelation. Besides, in the final analysis, you will never
      > find Truth in any form of written literature, not even the NHL et al.
      > but solely through experiential Gnosis. The written words have their
      > place, to be sure, but they are at best vague adumbrations of how and
      > what Truth might appear as.

      Right on both points. _The Da Vinci Code_ is no better than _Holy
      Blood, Holy Grail._
    • Michael Leavitt
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 12, 2007
        lady_caritas wrote:
        > You mention that written works have their place. If I may ask, what
        > place is that? If Truth is found "only through experiential Gnosis,"
        > what does the adjective "experiential" encompass? From your reading
        > of the NHL you mention and other literature, what would the ancients
        > take this to mean?

        To me Cari, the books are the lead into the experiential thing, no more
        no less, sort of like a road map. Now I'll shut up and let the two of
        you talk.
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 12, 2007
          Hey Tau Mar Thoma

          >>>AMEN! It's about time that people accept that, in fact, "The Da
          Vinci Code" is a book of fictions, not inspired by the True God, but
          comprised of a clever concoction of facts<<<

          I go even further than that, in that I question whether these
          supposed "facts" really are facts at all.

          Anyway, I will be interested to hear your take on Lady Cari's
          questions.

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 26, 2007

            > lady_caritas wrote:
            > > You mention that written works have their place. If I may ask,
            what
            > > place is that? If Truth is found "only through experiential
            Gnosis,"
            > > what does the adjective "experiential" encompass? From your
            reading
            > > of the NHL you mention and other literature, what would the
            ancients
            > > take this to mean?
            > >

            > To me Cari, the books are the lead into the experiential thing, no
            more
            > no less, sort of like a road map. Now I'll shut up and let the two
            of
            > you talk.

            Hi, Mike. Certainly there is no need to "shut up." Silence can be
            deafening at times. ;-)

            So, if "books are the lead into the experiential thing," as you say,
            could one also place other things like ritual as part of the
            direction, part of the "road map"? Actually, does one even need
            books or rituals in order to generate whatever this "experiential
            thing" is you mention? Or are you referring to a
            unique "experiential thing"? I guess what I'm thinking is that
            specific guides might influence direction or quality or framework of
            a certain "experiential thing." In fact, all these could be
            considered part of the whole experiential process, even as various
            facets could be readdressed during an ongoing progression?

            And even though many different written words and everyday life
            rituals could influence a mystical episode or a progression of
            spiritual occurrences and inner exploration in someone's life, it
            seems that there are specific paths that rely on particular
            precedents, taken together as an interrelated whole, in order to
            accomplish desired results within a distinctive context. Gaining
            inner knowledge or spiritual clarity or whatever is sought after is
            not always a free-for-all, taking various elements out of context,
            when it comes to methodology.

            A question might remain whether all the guides make any difference in
            the uniqueness or authenticity of a mystical experience. And that is
            outside the scope of our group. What seems apparent to me, however,
            is that how one interprets the experience, how much emphasis one
            places on a mystical episode in relation to other aspects of the
            process, and how one proceeds in this existent life are factors that
            can be observed, apart from judging as to efficacy. And the Gnostic
            writings do give us some information on that score.

            Anyway, I'll stop here for now to allow for others' coments.

            Cari
          • Michael Leavitt
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 26, 2007
              lady_caritas wrote:
              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
              >

              >> lady_caritas wrote:
              >>
              >>> You mention that written works have their place. If I may ask,
              >>>
              > what
              >
              >>> place is that? If Truth is found "only through experiential
              >>>
              > Gnosis,"
              >
              >>> what does the adjective "experiential" encompass? From your
              >>>
              > reading
              >
              >>> of the NHL you mention and other literature, what would the
              >>>
              > ancients
              >
              >>> take this to mean?
              >>>

              >> To me Cari, the books are the lead into the experiential thing, no
              >>
              > more
              >
              >> no less, sort of like a road map. Now I'll shut up and let the two
              >>
              > of
              >
              >> you talk.
              >>

              > Hi, Mike. Certainly there is no need to "shut up." Silence can be
              > deafening at times. ;-)
              >
              > So, if "books are the lead into the experiential thing," as you say,
              > could one also place other things like ritual as part of the
              > direction, part of the "road map"? Actually, does one even need
              > books or rituals in order to generate whatever this "experiential
              > thing" is you mention? Or are you referring to a
              > unique "experiential thing"? I guess what I'm thinking is that
              > specific guides might influence direction or quality or framework of
              > a certain "experiential thing." In fact, all these could be
              > considered part of the whole experiential process, even as various
              > facets could be readdressed during an ongoing progression?
              >
              > And even though many different written words and everyday life
              > rituals could influence a mystical episode or a progression of
              > spiritual occurrences and inner exploration in someone's life, it
              > seems that there are specific paths that rely on particular
              > precedents, taken together as an interrelated whole, in order to
              > accomplish desired results within a distinctive context. Gaining
              > inner knowledge or spiritual clarity or whatever is sought after is
              > not always a free-for-all, taking various elements out of context,
              > when it comes to methodology.
              >
              > A question might remain whether all the guides make any difference in
              > the uniqueness or authenticity of a mystical experience. And that is
              > outside the scope of our group. What seems apparent to me, however,
              > is that how one interprets the experience, how much emphasis one
              > places on a mystical episode in relation to other aspects of the
              > process, and how one proceeds in this existent life are factors that
              > can be observed, apart from judging as to efficacy. And the Gnostic
              > writings do give us some information on that score.
              >
              > Anyway, I'll stop here for now to allow for others' coments.
              >
              > Cari

              I agree, and ritual has its part. Being ordained a Deacon and then a
              Priest were numinous experiences, but geared to service, and initiation
              in support thereof. The mass can do this to you as can Golden Dawn
              rituals, these are all I'm familiar with. All have had their effect.
              Reading Zostranos, I was there with him for a while, and that was not
              the only instance. When I read Gareth Knight on the paths, I worked
              them. My psyche got thrown all over the place. So reading has its place.