Re: Question from New Member

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2007
      Hey Nick You respond to Dorina...

      >>>I am surprised that in studying Gnosticism you still see the
      Gnostic God as some sort of aloof deity like the Old Testament God
      of Orthodoxy. The Gnostic concepts as posted below from mainly Web
      sources make it quite clear that the Transcendent God in a sense
      suffers with us. God as something separate from ourselves is foreign
      to Gnosticism the spark of the divine is within all creatures.

      "They say that the same soul is scattered about in animals, beasts,
      fish, snakes, humans, trees, and products of nature. [Epiphanius,
      Panarion, 26.9.1.]" (Gospel of Eve)

      "But I say that God is the spiritual one. Man has taken shape from
      the substance of God. The divine soul shares partly in this one;
      furthermore, it shares partly in the flesh. "(Teachings of Silvanus)
      <<<

      I did want to point out that the Teachings of Silvanus is likely not
      a "Gnostic" text. In the intro to the text that we find in
      Robinson's Nag Hammadi Library, Peel and Zandee even go so far as to
      suggest part of it may have been meant as an attack on Gnostic
      thinking.

      Also, I believe that this description in Epiphanius was very likely
      talking about the world soul rather than "God" or the spiritual
      source.

      This isn't to necessarily disagree with your point, but simply to
      point out that I am not sure we can use these passages to imply
      anything about a Gnostic theology.

      Yeah, I know, I am being too picky again *lol*. The reason I mention
      it though is that if we don't have those two passages informing the
      theology, it opens up a number of other possible interpretations for
      the texts that are Gnostic. It makes the notion of pantheism a good
      deal less explicit in general Gnostic thinking, as well as opening
      the question of just how the spark could relate to the source in
      Gnostic texts.