Gnostic Texts in the Oxyrhynchus Papyri

  • smithand44
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007
      I had been claiming that there were no Gnostic writings found in the
      Oxyrhynchus papyri, apart from the Gospel of Thomas fragments, which
      are arguably Gnostic, but then I decided to check. To my surprise I
      came up with the following, some of which are debatably Gnostic. (The
      Oxford University Oxyrhynchus Online site has photographs of most of
      the fragments and transcriptions and translations of many.)

      pOxy 1, 654, 655
      These are the Greek Gospel of Thomas fragments

      P.Oxy.L 3525
      Gospel of Mary

      P.Oxy 924
      P.Oxy.XVI 2061
      P.Oxy.XVI 2063
      P.Oxy.XVI 2062
      The above are "Gnostic Charms"

      P.Oxy 1060
      Gnostic Amulet

      These magical charms and amulet are sometimes considered Gnostic by
      virtue of the gods mentioned in the texts.

      P.Oxy 2074
      A.S. hunt thought that this was a fifth century "Apostrophe to Wisdom"
      by Melito of Sardes. But David Brons claimed it as "A Hymn to Sophia",
      an anonymous Valentinian writing, although I don't know what the
      grounds were for this. See
      http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Valentinian_Writings.htm
      Also, according to an indexed Google extract from a subscription only
      article, there are "striking similarities between Melito and a corrupt
      text preserved in a fifth century papyrus from Oxyrhynchus (P. Oxy. 2074)"

      "The Homily on the Passion" by Melito Bishop of Sardis and Some
      Fragments of the Apocryphal Ezekiel by Campbell Bonner, Journal of
      Biblical Literature, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar., 1941), pp. 81-88

      Does anyone know anything further about P.Oxy 2074?

      Best Wishes

      Andrew
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "smithand44" <smithand44@...>
        wrote:

        > I had been claiming that there were no Gnostic writings found in the
        > Oxyrhynchus papyri, apart from the Gospel of Thomas fragments, which
        > are arguably Gnostic, but then I decided to check. To my surprise I
        > came up with the following, some of which are debatably Gnostic.
        (The
        > Oxford University Oxyrhynchus Online site has photographs of most of
        > the fragments and transcriptions and translations of many.)

        Here's a Table of Contents for The Oxyrhynchus Papyri online, for
        anyone interested:
        http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/papyri/tocframe.htm

        > P.Oxy 2074
        > A.S. hunt thought that this was a fifth century "Apostrophe to
        Wisdom"
        > by Melito of Sardes. But David Brons claimed it as "A Hymn to
        Sophia",
        > an anonymous Valentinian writing, although I don't know what the
        > grounds were for this. See
        > http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/Valentinian_Writings.htm
        > Also, according to an indexed Google extract from a subscription
        only
        > article, there are "striking similarities between Melito and a
        corrupt
        > text preserved in a fifth century papyrus from Oxyrhynchus (P. Oxy.
        2074)"

        > "The Homily on the Passion" by Melito Bishop of Sardis and Some
        > Fragments of the Apocryphal Ezekiel by Campbell Bonner, Journal of
        > Biblical Literature, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar., 1941), pp. 81-88
        >
        > Does anyone know anything further about P.Oxy 2074?
        >
        > Best Wishes
        >
        > Andrew

        Hi, Andrew. What an assignment. *lol*

        I'm curious. Did Arthur Hunt list his grounds for proposing Melito
        as author?

        "Apostrophe" could be a direct address to a personified abstraction,
        and this address could very well be in the form of a hymn. "Wisdom,"
        of course, could be "Sophia."

        As far as original authorship, I don't have enough information under
        my belt to even suggest whether this might be Melito or some unknown
        Valentinian. Also, by the fifth century there possibly could have
        been revisions from the original. Did you find any translations
        readily available?

        Cari
      • smithand44
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
          The Oxyrhynchus Online Site just refers the reader to the printed
          volumes of the Oxy papyri for a transcription and translation. I don't
          know anything more on this yet.