Re: Depth, Bythos, Abyss?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@...> wrote:

      > It appeared that your interest in locating the Greek term for Depth
      was
      > to see what Hebrew word might best correspond to the Valentinian
      > expression of this concept, but I reckon you lost me when you
      seemed to
      > answer your own question by mentioning the very word that I was
      going to
      > suggest—even before your other post showed up:
      >
      > "tehom"

      I was certainly hoping that the Greek word Bythos was the translation
      for tehom, but it is not. Instead, bythos is used most often to
      translate Hebrew words based on the root ayin, mem, koph (though by
      no means exclusively so [see Hatch & Redpath, Concordance to the
      Septuagint (LXX)--I forgot I had this book in my home library]). In
      some passages, LXX bythos shares in the symantic field of bythos as
      in some gnostic texts (see Job 11:8; 12:2 ["mysterious"]; Ps 63:6;
      Prov 18:4; 20:5; 25:3; Eccl 7:24; Dan 2:22 ["profound"]). Wisdom
      10:19 and Sirach 24:5 use both bythos and abussos as in "the depths
      of the abyss."

      It makes more sense that the Hebrew AMK instead of TEHOM would be
      translated by bythos since TEHOM/abussos is a place and as such can
      be defined and located and limited, whereas AMK/Bythos is a
      quantifying concept and as such can be limitless and without
      boundaries. I am glad my first hope was not fulfilled--it would have
      been limiting.

      This study has presented me with some new concepts and opened a whole
      new symantic field.

      > Since you've clarified that one, I'm still curious as to what
      > you had considered for Silence (Gr. sigê) in Hebrew:
      >
      > "demamah"?

      I had thought this would be the word also. But the Hebrew DMH is
      translated with sige only once in Lam 3:49 (again using Hatch &
      Redpath). The most common Hebrew roots translated by sige is ChRSh
      and ChShH, but all in all, sige is a fairly rare word in the LXX.

      > In the translation of the Valentinian Myth (according to Irenaeus)
      that
      > Bentley Layton includes in his anthology, The Gnostic Scriptures,
      his
      > notes include a number of parallels to other works from the same
      > school—mostly the Gospel of Truth. Unless you are married to the OT
      > usage of Ábyssos, you may enjoy comparing and contrasting parts of
      > that text with Genesis.

      When it comes to Sacred texts, I am a polygamous: the Hebrew Bible is
      my first love, but she allows (amd encourages!) my love affairs with
      other texts. One thing that has delighted me in my studies in the
      Gnostic traditions and texts is that some of the insights I have had
      in studying the Hebrew Bible--and that are far from "orthodox"--I
      have found confirmation for in the Gnostic texts.

      > Gerry

      Mark