Re: Ario-Christianity in the Apocryphal Acts of Peter

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2006
      Since the Acts of Peter are not a Gnostic text (something
      Brightimperator seems a bit unclear about) I started to reject this
      post as off topic. However, I found that this post was a good
      example two things;

      1) how easily people can misread something to back whatever agenda
      they wish.

      This is why this group is so specific about defining important words
      accurately, and trying to avoid eisegesis.

      2) Just how vicious some of the attacks against the early Gnostics
      were.

      This woman that is being killed in Marcellus' dream is meant to
      symbolize the Gnostic heresy and the "ugly" filth the author wants
      us to believe it brings against the supposed true Christianity of
      Peter.

      While a close reading demonstrates that in fact the race of the
      woman is not what the author is identifying as dirty (the Egyptian
      is black as well, but common to the area. Instead it is meant to
      point out the author's belief that the theological views of these
      terrible Gnostics are not native to the soil they are being
      presented in, but foriegn intropolation), but it shows extreme the
      polemics against the Gnostics could be.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "brightimperator"
      <brightimperator@...> wrote:

      > One of the earliest of the apocryphal acts of the apostles, The
      Acts
      > of Peter, gives us a hint of the ancient White Christian
      experience
      > of "negritude" and a sobering perspective on theological
      > universalism. Marcellus describes to Peter a dream that featured
      an
      > evil-looking woman:
      >
      > http://www.gnosis.org/library/actpete.htm
      >
      > And Marcellus turned to sleep for a short space, and awoke and
      said
      > unto Peter: O Peter, thou apostle of Christ, let us go boldly unto
      > that which lieth before us. For just now when I turned myself to
      > sleep for a little, I beheld thee sitting in a high place and
      before
      > thee a great multitude, and a woman exceeding foul, in sight like
      an
      > Ethiopian (Aethiopissimam), not an Egyptian, but altogether black
      > (nigram) and filthy, clothed in rags, and with an iron collar
      about
      > her neck and chains upon her hands and feet, dancing. And when
      thou
      > sawest me thou saidst to me with a loud voice: Marcellus the whole
      > power of Simon and of his God is this woman that danceth; do thou
      > behead her. And I said to thee: Brother Peter, I am a senator of a
      > high race, and I have never defiled my hands, neither killed so
      much
      > as a sparrow at any time. And thou hearing it didst begin to cry
      out
      > yet more: Come thou, our true sword, Jesu Christ, and cut not off
      > only the head of this devil (daemonis), but hew all her limbs in
      > pieces in the sight of all these Whom I have approved in thy
      service.
      > And immediately one like unto thee, O Peter, having a sword, hewed
      > her in pieces: so that I looked earnestly upon you both, both on
      thee
      > and on him that cut in pieces that devil, and marvelled greatly to
      > see how alike ye were. And I awaked, and have told unto thee these
      > signs of Christ. And when Peter heard it he was the more filled
      with
      > courage, for that Marcellus had seen these things, knowing that
      the
      > Lord alway careth for his own. And being joyful and refreshed by
      > these words, he rose up to go unto the forum.
      >
      > Moronic mainline modernist Christians enslaved to cultural
      Bolshevism