Re: Daily Enlightenment

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
      Hey Melissa

      >>>One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email
      group.<<<

      Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
      you the URL for the forum...

      Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
      could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
      group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
      joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
      emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
      are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
      coming from a forum.

      PMCV
    • Melissa McIntyre
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
        I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the individual emails.

        Melissa

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/gnosticism 2/

        Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
        could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
        group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
        joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
        emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
        are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
        coming from a forum.

        PMCV

        The Dragon Speaks......Listen.

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
          Melissa

          >>>I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the
          individual emails.<<<

          AH! Ok. So you should have been redirected to our homepage when you
          first joined. There was that snake picture and all that. If you answer
          posts from the "messages" page you get options for adding colors to
          your posts and all kinds of things. You also get access to photos,
          reading lists, descriptions of primary categories of Gnosticism (what
          the difference is between Sethains and Valentinians), and even a
          little dictionary of Gnostic terms that I wrote up for people who may
          be new to them (Barbelo, Bythos, Saklas, Sophia, and all those terms
          that sometimes are very unfamiliar to people).

          PMCV
        • Michael Leavitt
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
            pmcvflag wrote:
            > Hey Melissa

            > group.<<<
            >
            > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
            > you the URL for the forum...

            > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
            > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
            > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
            > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
            > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
            > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
            > coming from a forum.
            >
            > PMCV

            I don't remember how I joined, but email has been dependable on both
            this an d my prior computers, and that is how I get the messages from
            the forum, unless I want to go back and trace an old message.

          • gnostic_ken
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006

              > Hey Melissa

              > group.<<<
              >
              > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
              send
              > you the URL for the forum...

              > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
              people
              > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
              the
              > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
              without
              > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
              > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
              here
              > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
              > coming from a forum.
              >
              > PMCV

              Hi PMCV,
              One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
              gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
              understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
              GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
              list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
              clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
              blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
              the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
              in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
              sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
              their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
              SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
              inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.

              So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
              getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
              filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.

              Hope this helps.

              Ken
            • Michael Leavitt
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006
                gnostic_ken wrote:
                > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hey Melissa

                >> group.<<<
                >>
                >> Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
                >>
                > send
                >
                >> you the URL for the forum...

                >> Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
                >>
                > people
                >
                >> could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
                >>
                > the
                >
                >> group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
                >>
                > without
                >
                >> joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                >> emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
                >>
                > here
                >
                >> are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                >> coming from a forum.
                >>
                >> PMCV
                >>

                > Hi PMCV,
                > One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
                > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
                > understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
                > GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
                > list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
                > clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
                > blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
                > the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
                > in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
                > sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
                > their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
                > SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
                > inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.
                >
                > So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.
                >
                > Hope this helps.
                >
                > Ken

                Good point. All my spam mail goes to a junk folder first. I always
                check it and found, for the first time, one of PMCV's in there.

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                  Ken

                  gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<

                  AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                  >>>I understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I
                  started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                  internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                  For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                  yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                  how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<

                  Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                  we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                  larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                  also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                  was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                  our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                  1970 *lol*.

                  >>>Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts sent by e-mail
                  they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                  are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                  will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                  they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<

                  We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                  their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                  the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                  actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                  >>>So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                  getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                  filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<

                  Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                  access to a number of resources.

                  PMCV
                • Michael Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                    pmcvflag wrote:
                    > Ken

                    > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<
                    >
                    > AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                    > started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                    > internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                    > For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                    > yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                    > how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<
                    >
                    > Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                    > we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                    > larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                    > also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                    > was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                    > our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                    > 1970 *lol*.

                    > they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                    > are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                    > will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                    > they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<
                    >
                    > We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                    > their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                    > the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                    > actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                    > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                    > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<
                    >
                    > Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                    > access to a number of resources.
                    >
                    > PMCV

                    I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                    for looking up old posts./

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006

                      > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                      > for looking up old posts./

                      Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group" messages, and much prefer Web access.  Since I ended up sacrificing four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike.  ;-)

                      Gerry

                    • Michael Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006
                        Gerry wrote:

                        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                        > > for looking up old posts./
                        > >

                        > Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group"
                        > messages, and much prefer Web access. Since I ended up sacrificing
                        > four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on
                        > some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where
                        > to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike. ;-)
                        >
                        > Gerry

                        To each his/her own.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                          Hey Mike

                          >>>I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                          for looking up old posts./<<<

                          Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                          got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                          know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                          quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                          email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                          the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                          fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                          group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                          answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                          because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                          formatting.

                          In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                          problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                          have just been lost).

                          I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                          were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                          on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                          suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                          posts in email form.

                          Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                          the home page that Gerry made for us! :)

                          PMCV
                        • Michael Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                            pmcvflag wrote:
                            > Hey Mike

                            > for looking up old posts./<<<
                            >
                            > Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                            > got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                            > know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                            > quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                            > email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                            > the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                            > fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                            > group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                            > answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                            > because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                            > formatting.
                            >
                            > In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                            > problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                            > have just been lost).
                            >
                            > I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                            > were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                            > on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                            > suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                            > posts in email form.
                            >
                            > Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                            > the home page that Gerry made for us! :)
                            >
                            > PMCV

                            I'm an old hand at email and none of that bothers me, I guess but I
                            can't stand blogs or forums either one. But then I hate using a
                            browser to communicate. Surfing is it.