Re: Daily Enlightenment

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Melissa McIntyre <oakraven71@...>
      wrote:

      > One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email group.
      >
      > Melissa

      Hi, Melissa. I'm just catching up now.

      Members of our list can choose whether to receive direct e-mails and
      respond from their e-mail accounts or else read messages at our
      website and respond directly to posts on the message board.

      Here's the homepage:

      Feel free to sign in and explore the links on the left side of the
      homepage.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
        Hey Melissa

        >>>One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email
        group.<<<

        Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
        you the URL for the forum...

        Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
        could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
        group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
        joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
        emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
        are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
        coming from a forum.

        PMCV
      • Melissa McIntyre
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
          I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the individual emails.

          Melissa

          Hey Melissa

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/gnosticism 2/

          Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
          could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
          group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
          joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
          emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
          are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
          coming from a forum.

          PMCV

          The Dragon Speaks......Listen.

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
            Melissa

            >>>I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the
            individual emails.<<<

            AH! Ok. So you should have been redirected to our homepage when you
            first joined. There was that snake picture and all that. If you answer
            posts from the "messages" page you get options for adding colors to
            your posts and all kinds of things. You also get access to photos,
            reading lists, descriptions of primary categories of Gnosticism (what
            the difference is between Sethains and Valentinians), and even a
            little dictionary of Gnostic terms that I wrote up for people who may
            be new to them (Barbelo, Bythos, Saklas, Sophia, and all those terms
            that sometimes are very unfamiliar to people).

            PMCV
          • Michael Leavitt
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
              pmcvflag wrote:
              > Hey Melissa

              > group.<<<
              >
              > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
              > you the URL for the forum...

              > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
              > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
              > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
              > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
              > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
              > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
              > coming from a forum.
              >
              > PMCV

              I don't remember how I joined, but email has been dependable on both
              this an d my prior computers, and that is how I get the messages from
              the forum, unless I want to go back and trace an old message.

            • gnostic_ken
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006

                > Hey Melissa

                > group.<<<
                >
                > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
                send
                > you the URL for the forum...

                > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
                people
                > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
                the
                > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
                without
                > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
                here
                > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                > coming from a forum.
                >
                > PMCV

                Hi PMCV,
                One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
                gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
                understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
                GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
                list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
                clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
                blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
                the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
                in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
                sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
                their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
                SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
                inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.

                So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.

                Hope this helps.

                Ken
              • Michael Leavitt
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006
                  gnostic_ken wrote:
                  > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hey Melissa

                  >> group.<<<
                  >>
                  >> Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
                  >>
                  > send
                  >
                  >> you the URL for the forum...

                  >> Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
                  >>
                  > people
                  >
                  >> could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
                  >>
                  > the
                  >
                  >> group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
                  >>
                  > without
                  >
                  >> joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                  >> emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
                  >>
                  > here
                  >
                  >> are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                  >> coming from a forum.
                  >>
                  >> PMCV
                  >>

                  > Hi PMCV,
                  > One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
                  > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
                  > understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
                  > GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
                  > list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
                  > clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
                  > blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
                  > the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
                  > in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
                  > sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
                  > their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
                  > SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
                  > inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.
                  >
                  > So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                  > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                  > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Ken

                  Good point. All my spam mail goes to a junk folder first. I always
                  check it and found, for the first time, one of PMCV's in there.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                    Ken

                    gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<

                    AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                    >>>I understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I
                    started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                    internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                    For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                    yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                    how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<

                    Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                    we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                    larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                    also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                    was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                    our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                    1970 *lol*.

                    >>>Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts sent by e-mail
                    they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                    are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                    will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                    they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<

                    We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                    their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                    the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                    actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                    >>>So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                    getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                    filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<

                    Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                    access to a number of resources.

                    PMCV
                  • Michael Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                      pmcvflag wrote:
                      > Ken

                      > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<
                      >
                      > AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                      > started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                      > internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                      > For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                      > yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                      > how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<
                      >
                      > Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                      > we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                      > larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                      > also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                      > was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                      > our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                      > 1970 *lol*.

                      > they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                      > are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                      > will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                      > they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<
                      >
                      > We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                      > their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                      > the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                      > actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                      > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                      > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<
                      >
                      > Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                      > access to a number of resources.
                      >
                      > PMCV

                      I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                      for looking up old posts./

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006

                        > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                        > for looking up old posts./

                        Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group" messages, and much prefer Web access.  Since I ended up sacrificing four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike.  ;-)

                        Gerry

                      • Michael Leavitt
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006
                          Gerry wrote:

                          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                          > > for looking up old posts./
                          > >

                          > Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group"
                          > messages, and much prefer Web access. Since I ended up sacrificing
                          > four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on
                          > some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where
                          > to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike. ;-)
                          >
                          > Gerry

                          To each his/her own.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                            Hey Mike

                            >>>I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                            for looking up old posts./<<<

                            Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                            got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                            know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                            quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                            email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                            the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                            fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                            group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                            answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                            because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                            formatting.

                            In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                            problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                            have just been lost).

                            I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                            were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                            on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                            suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                            posts in email form.

                            Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                            the home page that Gerry made for us! :)

                            PMCV
                          • Michael Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                              pmcvflag wrote:
                              > Hey Mike

                              > for looking up old posts./<<<
                              >
                              > Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                              > got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                              > know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                              > quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                              > email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                              > the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                              > fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                              > group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                              > answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                              > because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                              > formatting.
                              >
                              > In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                              > problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                              > have just been lost).
                              >
                              > I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                              > were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                              > on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                              > suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                              > posts in email form.
                              >
                              > Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                              > the home page that Gerry made for us! :)
                              >
                              > PMCV

                              I'm an old hand at email and none of that bothers me, I guess but I
                              can't stand blogs or forums either one. But then I hate using a
                              browser to communicate. Surfing is it.