Re: Daily Enlightenment

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
      Melissa

      >>>HHmmm, ok I never got a message from Lady Cari,<<<

      Ah, I take it you may be reading responses in you email rather than on
      the forum page? That is a difficulty in the Yahoo forums. Since the
      pages are not really meant to be email lists, but rather discussion
      forums that are answered from the home page, often people who are
      answering from their emails don'tget all the responses sent to them.

      >>>but to answer your question, the book that I am referring to is
      dealing with some Gnostic texts. The back of the book
      states....Decoding original messages to humankind. In Secrets from the
      Lost Bible, Hebrew scholar Kenneth Hanson, Ph.D., uncovers the long-
      suppressed teachings in the books of the --Kabbalah, Dead Sea Scrolls,
      GNOSTIC TEXTS, Aprocrypha, and Pseudepigrapha.<<<

      Sure, I understand that... however, that wasn't what I was asking. The
      fact that the book deals at some point with Gnostic text is great, but
      since the specific parts you raise don't do so I was asking if you had
      any thoughts about how it would reconcile with, or disagree with
      Gnostic thinking, in your view. I am trying to encourage you to also
      explore and consider the more specifically Gnostic aspect of the
      issue, and how it may or may not relate to the other ideas you are
      presenting.

      >>>Just thought it might be interesting to some people. Sorry to be
      excited about something and what to share with people, I guess that is
      wrong to do in an email group. We should all keep quiet huh, or ask
      approval before we post something.<<<

      Imagine for a moment that you signed up for a seminar style class at
      your local university, or perhaps a symposium dealing with this
      subject. These would be organized study groups with certain codes of
      conduct concerning focus, methods of communication, and so forth...
      correct? One who participates in them does so by privalage, not by
      right.

      Now think about this forum for a moment. We offer a chance to deal
      with the subject of Gnosticism in a way that is much more specific in
      focus than most of the other forums on this subject, but that does
      come at a price. What we gain in depth we lose in breadth.

      This is not what everyone is looking for. Some people prefer light
      simple discussion or a wider focus on esoteric or spiritual subjects
      in general. That is fine, and I often post links for other forums that
      deal with a wider subject matter. There is nothing wrong with either
      method, they have their strenghts and weaknesses. However, it is
      unfair for you to be huffy that we happen to pick this method rather
      than the one used by the other 200 forums on this subject. Would you
      walk into the seminar on Gnosticism and get angry that they did not
      talk about chemistry? Of course not.

      We are happy to talk about the things that excite you. We may ask
      questions, we may express agreement or disagreement on various levels.
      Sometimes in order to keep focus we may ask something like "do you
      feel this agrees or disagrees with the ancient Gnostic thinking?",
      or "do you know of any Gnostic texts that you feel deels with this
      issue as well?" This is all meant to encourage friendly discussion
      that allows for personal interest, but also tries to connect that
      personal interest to the subject of historical Gnosticism.

      PMCV
    • Melissa McIntyre
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
        One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email group.

        Melissa

        The Dragon Speaks......Listen.

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Melissa McIntyre <oakraven71@...>
          wrote:

          > One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email group.
          >
          > Melissa

          Hi, Melissa. I'm just catching up now.

          Members of our list can choose whether to receive direct e-mails and
          respond from their e-mail accounts or else read messages at our
          website and respond directly to posts on the message board.

          Here's the homepage:

          Feel free to sign in and explore the links on the left side of the
          homepage.

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
            Hey Melissa

            >>>One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email
            group.<<<

            Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
            you the URL for the forum...

            Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
            could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
            group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
            joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
            emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
            are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
            coming from a forum.

            PMCV
          • Melissa McIntyre
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
              I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the individual emails.

              Melissa

              Hey Melissa

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/gnosticism 2/

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
                Melissa

                >>>I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the
                individual emails.<<<

                AH! Ok. So you should have been redirected to our homepage when you
                first joined. There was that snake picture and all that. If you answer
                posts from the "messages" page you get options for adding colors to
                your posts and all kinds of things. You also get access to photos,
                reading lists, descriptions of primary categories of Gnosticism (what
                the difference is between Sethains and Valentinians), and even a
                little dictionary of Gnostic terms that I wrote up for people who may
                be new to them (Barbelo, Bythos, Saklas, Sophia, and all those terms
                that sometimes are very unfamiliar to people).

                PMCV
              • Michael Leavitt
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
                  pmcvflag wrote:
                  > Hey Melissa

                  > group.<<<
                  >
                  > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
                  > you the URL for the forum...

                  > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
                  > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
                  > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
                  > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                  > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
                  > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                  > coming from a forum.
                  >
                  > PMCV

                  I don't remember how I joined, but email has been dependable on both
                  this an d my prior computers, and that is how I get the messages from
                  the forum, unless I want to go back and trace an old message.

                • gnostic_ken
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006

                    > Hey Melissa

                    > group.<<<
                    >
                    > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
                    send
                    > you the URL for the forum...

                    > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
                    people
                    > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
                    the
                    > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
                    without
                    > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                    > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
                    here
                    > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                    > coming from a forum.
                    >
                    > PMCV

                    Hi PMCV,
                    One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
                    gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
                    understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
                    GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
                    list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
                    clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
                    blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
                    the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
                    in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
                    sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
                    their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
                    SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
                    inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.

                    So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                    getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                    filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Ken
                  • Michael Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006
                      gnostic_ken wrote:
                      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hey Melissa

                      >> group.<<<
                      >>
                      >> Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
                      >>
                      > send
                      >
                      >> you the URL for the forum...

                      >> Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
                      >>
                      > people
                      >
                      >> could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
                      >>
                      > the
                      >
                      >> group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
                      >>
                      > without
                      >
                      >> joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                      >> emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
                      >>
                      > here
                      >
                      >> are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                      >> coming from a forum.
                      >>
                      >> PMCV
                      >>

                      > Hi PMCV,
                      > One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
                      > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
                      > understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
                      > GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
                      > list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
                      > clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
                      > blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
                      > the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
                      > in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
                      > sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
                      > their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
                      > SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
                      > inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.
                      >
                      > So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                      > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                      > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps.
                      >
                      > Ken

                      Good point. All my spam mail goes to a junk folder first. I always
                      check it and found, for the first time, one of PMCV's in there.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                        Ken

                        gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<

                        AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                        >>>I understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I
                        started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                        internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                        For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                        yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                        how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<

                        Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                        we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                        larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                        also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                        was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                        our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                        1970 *lol*.

                        >>>Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts sent by e-mail
                        they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                        are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                        will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                        they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<

                        We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                        their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                        the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                        actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                        >>>So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                        getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                        filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<

                        Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                        access to a number of resources.

                        PMCV
                      • Michael Leavitt
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                          pmcvflag wrote:
                          > Ken

                          > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                          > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<
                          >
                          > AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                          > started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                          > internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                          > For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                          > yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                          > how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<
                          >
                          > Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                          > we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                          > larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                          > also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                          > was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                          > our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                          > 1970 *lol*.

                          > they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                          > are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                          > will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                          > they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<
                          >
                          > We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                          > their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                          > the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                          > actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                          > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                          > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<
                          >
                          > Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                          > access to a number of resources.
                          >
                          > PMCV

                          I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                          for looking up old posts./

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006

                            > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                            > for looking up old posts./

                            Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group" messages, and much prefer Web access.  Since I ended up sacrificing four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike.  ;-)

                            Gerry

                          • Michael Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006
                              Gerry wrote:

                              > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                              > > for looking up old posts./
                              > >

                              > Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group"
                              > messages, and much prefer Web access. Since I ended up sacrificing
                              > four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on
                              > some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where
                              > to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike. ;-)
                              >
                              > Gerry

                              To each his/her own.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                                Hey Mike

                                >>>I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                                for looking up old posts./<<<

                                Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                                got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                                know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                                quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                                email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                                the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                                fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                                group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                                answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                                because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                                formatting.

                                In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                                problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                                have just been lost).

                                I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                                were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                                on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                                suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                                posts in email form.

                                Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                                the home page that Gerry made for us! :)

                                PMCV
                              • Michael Leavitt
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                                  pmcvflag wrote:
                                  > Hey Mike

                                  > for looking up old posts./<<<
                                  >
                                  > Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                                  > got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                                  > know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                                  > quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                                  > email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                                  > the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                                  > fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                                  > group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                                  > answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                                  > because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                                  > formatting.
                                  >
                                  > In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                                  > problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                                  > have just been lost).
                                  >
                                  > I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                                  > were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                                  > on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                                  > suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                                  > posts in email form.
                                  >
                                  > Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                                  > the home page that Gerry made for us! :)
                                  >
                                  > PMCV

                                  I'm an old hand at email and none of that bothers me, I guess but I
                                  can't stand blogs or forums either one. But then I hate using a
                                  browser to communicate. Surfing is it.