Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Daily Enlightenment

  • Melissa McIntyre
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
      HHmmm, ok I never got a message from Lady Cari, but to answer your question, the book that I am referring to is dealing with some Gnostic texts. The back of the book states....Decoding original messages to humankind. In Secrets from the Lost Bible, Hebrew scholar Kenneth Hanson, Ph.D., uncovers the long-suppressed teachings in the books of the --Kabbalah, Dead Sea Scrolls, GNOSTIC TEXTS, Aprocrypha, and Pseudepigrapha.  Just thought it might be interesting to some people. Sorry to be excited about something and what to share with people, I guess that is wrong to do in an email group. We should all keep quiet huh, or ask approval before we post something.

      Melissa

      Hello again Melissa

      Say, I wasn't sure if you had intended to answer Lady Cari, but I
      thought I would restate her question to you in a less subtle way.

      This forum deals very specifically with Gnosticism in the more
      technical meaning of the word. We understand very well that we all
      have books and teachings outside of Gnostic thinking that inspire,
      influence, and inform us. I, for instance, also have a heavy
      interest in specific forms of esoteric romance. In other groups I
      talk often about Dante, about Classical Hermetic thought, about art
      and passion and music. However, this group really is a bit more
      specifically about Gnosticism so here is Lady Cari's question in my
      words...

      Your book is surely interesting, but do you have any thoughts on
      what it has to do with our topic? Can you compare it to any Gnostic
      texts for us, or how it may be similar or different to specific
      aspects of Gnostic thinking that you are aware of?

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@ yahoogroups. com, Melissa McIntyre
      <oakraven71@ ...> wrote:

      > Greetings everyone,
      >
      > I must say it again, I love this book!!!! When I read this
      segment thoughts of some people here came to mind. So I would like
      to share it with you all. Of course, if you already don't know it is
      the book Secrets from the Lost Bible, by Kenneth Hanson. Great
      Author I must say, the way he puts things into perspective is really
      inspiring. Hope I do as well as he does when I write my book. I am a
      writer in progress. That is why I do so much theology research and
      discussions. I must say, I have got many positive feedback from
      people on my theories, opinions and beliefs. Thank you all that want
      to hear more.

      > He writes:
      >
      > The World of Being allows us to recognize ourselves for who we
      really are, and to recognize the aspect of the divine in all people.
      A very nice thought, but what can we do about it? Take the advice of
      Emerson and the Transcendentalists. Cultivate stillness, practice
      meditative silence, and take every opportunity to observe the world
      of nature---the Garden of Being. Even in Eden, a bit of denial
      (Satan) is still there, but it mustn't interfere with our
      perception. We realize that we are all part of the whole, the divine
      Source. It is only when we forget that greater reality that we
      perpetrate negativity, doing things that are not Godlike.

      > Yes, we need to do this in order to become part of the World of
      Being. We need to step back, take a breath, and just slow down.
      Meditate everyday, rid ourselves of negative energy, and instill
      positive energy. Get rid of things that encourage negativity. Start
      thinking about what would make a positive influence in your life.

      > I have been doing this in my life and the big one is where I
      live. So, I am planning a move out of state. Rid myself of the
      negativity that has been holding me and my family back to our goal.
      Which is to become more in tune with the World of Being. It takes a
      lot of sacrifice, but in the end it is worth it. The more positive
      energy you have yourself surrounded by, the more positive
      experiences you will have. Giving to others is a positive
      experience, which is why I told everyone about the Operation
      Christmas Child. I thought I would have got more of a response from
      that, but evidently some people don't feel that enthusiastic as I
      did. But, I won't let that negativity put me down, because I did get
      some very positive responses. And on that note, take care and have a
      great day!

      > Melissa
      >

      > The Dragon Speaks...... Listen.
      >
      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Sponsored Link
      >
      > Get a free Motorola Razr! Today Only! Choose Cingular, Sprint,
      Verizon, Alltel, or T-Mobile.

      The Dragon Speaks......Listen.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
        Melissa

        >>>HHmmm, ok I never got a message from Lady Cari,<<<

        Ah, I take it you may be reading responses in you email rather than on
        the forum page? That is a difficulty in the Yahoo forums. Since the
        pages are not really meant to be email lists, but rather discussion
        forums that are answered from the home page, often people who are
        answering from their emails don'tget all the responses sent to them.

        >>>but to answer your question, the book that I am referring to is
        dealing with some Gnostic texts. The back of the book
        states....Decoding original messages to humankind. In Secrets from the
        Lost Bible, Hebrew scholar Kenneth Hanson, Ph.D., uncovers the long-
        suppressed teachings in the books of the --Kabbalah, Dead Sea Scrolls,
        GNOSTIC TEXTS, Aprocrypha, and Pseudepigrapha.<<<

        Sure, I understand that... however, that wasn't what I was asking. The
        fact that the book deals at some point with Gnostic text is great, but
        since the specific parts you raise don't do so I was asking if you had
        any thoughts about how it would reconcile with, or disagree with
        Gnostic thinking, in your view. I am trying to encourage you to also
        explore and consider the more specifically Gnostic aspect of the
        issue, and how it may or may not relate to the other ideas you are
        presenting.

        >>>Just thought it might be interesting to some people. Sorry to be
        excited about something and what to share with people, I guess that is
        wrong to do in an email group. We should all keep quiet huh, or ask
        approval before we post something.<<<

        Imagine for a moment that you signed up for a seminar style class at
        your local university, or perhaps a symposium dealing with this
        subject. These would be organized study groups with certain codes of
        conduct concerning focus, methods of communication, and so forth...
        correct? One who participates in them does so by privalage, not by
        right.

        Now think about this forum for a moment. We offer a chance to deal
        with the subject of Gnosticism in a way that is much more specific in
        focus than most of the other forums on this subject, but that does
        come at a price. What we gain in depth we lose in breadth.

        This is not what everyone is looking for. Some people prefer light
        simple discussion or a wider focus on esoteric or spiritual subjects
        in general. That is fine, and I often post links for other forums that
        deal with a wider subject matter. There is nothing wrong with either
        method, they have their strenghts and weaknesses. However, it is
        unfair for you to be huffy that we happen to pick this method rather
        than the one used by the other 200 forums on this subject. Would you
        walk into the seminar on Gnosticism and get angry that they did not
        talk about chemistry? Of course not.

        We are happy to talk about the things that excite you. We may ask
        questions, we may express agreement or disagreement on various levels.
        Sometimes in order to keep focus we may ask something like "do you
        feel this agrees or disagrees with the ancient Gnostic thinking?",
        or "do you know of any Gnostic texts that you feel deels with this
        issue as well?" This is all meant to encourage friendly discussion
        that allows for personal interest, but also tries to connect that
        personal interest to the subject of historical Gnosticism.

        PMCV
      • Melissa McIntyre
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
          One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email group.

          Melissa

          Melissa

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
            wrote:

            > One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email group.
            >
            > Melissa

            Hi, Melissa. I'm just catching up now.

            Members of our list can choose whether to receive direct e-mails and
            respond from their e-mail accounts or else read messages at our
            website and respond directly to posts on the message board.

            Here's the homepage:

            Feel free to sign in and explore the links on the left side of the
            homepage.

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 9, 2006
              Hey Melissa

              >>>One question.....the forum??? I just thought this was an email
              group.<<<

              Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
              you the URL for the forum...

              Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
              could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
              group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
              joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
              emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
              are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
              coming from a forum.

              PMCV
            • Melissa McIntyre
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
                I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the individual emails.

                Melissa

                Hey Melissa

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/gnosticism 2/

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
                  Melissa

                  >>>I just did a search for yahoo groups and joined and opted for the
                  individual emails.<<<

                  AH! Ok. So you should have been redirected to our homepage when you
                  first joined. There was that snake picture and all that. If you answer
                  posts from the "messages" page you get options for adding colors to
                  your posts and all kinds of things. You also get access to photos,
                  reading lists, descriptions of primary categories of Gnosticism (what
                  the difference is between Sethains and Valentinians), and even a
                  little dictionary of Gnostic terms that I wrote up for people who may
                  be new to them (Barbelo, Bythos, Saklas, Sophia, and all those terms
                  that sometimes are very unfamiliar to people).

                  PMCV
                • Michael Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 10, 2006
                    pmcvflag wrote:
                    > Hey Melissa

                    > group.<<<
                    >
                    > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also send
                    > you the URL for the forum...

                    > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that people
                    > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering the
                    > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so without
                    > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                    > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people here
                    > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                    > coming from a forum.
                    >
                    > PMCV

                    I don't remember how I joined, but email has been dependable on both
                    this an d my prior computers, and that is how I get the messages from
                    the forum, unless I want to go back and trace an old message.

                  • gnostic_ken
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006

                      > Hey Melissa

                      > group.<<<
                      >
                      > Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
                      send
                      > you the URL for the forum...

                      > Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
                      people
                      > could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
                      the
                      > group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
                      without
                      > joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                      > emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
                      here
                      > are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                      > coming from a forum.
                      >
                      > PMCV

                      Hi PMCV,
                      One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
                      gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
                      understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
                      GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
                      list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
                      clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
                      blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
                      the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
                      in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
                      sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
                      their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
                      SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
                      inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.

                      So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                      getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                      filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.

                      Hope this helps.

                      Ken
                    • Michael Leavitt
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 13, 2006
                        gnostic_ken wrote:
                        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Hey Melissa

                        >> group.<<<
                        >>
                        >> Just in case Lady Cari's post doesn't reach you again let me also
                        >>
                        > send
                        >
                        >> you the URL for the forum...

                        >> Now it is my turn to ask a question. Although I was aware that
                        >>
                        > people
                        >
                        >> could elect to get our messages through email rather than entering
                        >>
                        > the
                        >
                        >> group directly, I didn't realize that it was possible to do so
                        >>
                        > without
                        >
                        >> joining through the forum first. May I ask how you started getting
                        >> emails from us? How did you register? I wonder if other people
                        >>
                        > here
                        >
                        >> are getting emails from us without realizing that these emails are
                        >> coming from a forum.
                        >>
                        >> PMCV
                        >>

                        > Hi PMCV,
                        > One can get e-mails by sending an e-mail to
                        > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist. I
                        > understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I started the
                        > GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based internet e-mail
                        > list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups. For a while yahoo
                        > clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on yahoo. Finally yahoo
                        > blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's how you ended up with
                        > the 2 on the end of gnosticism. There was already a gnosticism list
                        > in yahoogroups. Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts
                        > sent by e-mail they are sent. If they don't get them then likely
                        > their SPAM filters are eating them. For some reason known only to
                        > SPAM filters they will let some posts through and send some to the
                        > inbox even though they are all from the same yahoogroup.
                        >
                        > So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                        > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                        > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps.
                        >
                        > Ken

                        Good point. All my spam mail goes to a junk folder first. I always
                        check it and found, for the first time, one of PMCV's in there.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                          Ken

                          gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                          That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<

                          AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                          >>>I understand that this group was formed as a yahoo club. I
                          started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                          internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                          For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                          yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                          how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<

                          Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                          we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                          larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                          also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                          was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                          our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                          1970 *lol*.

                          >>>Anyway, if someone is signed up to have the posts sent by e-mail
                          they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                          are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                          will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                          they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<

                          We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                          their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                          the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                          actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                          >>>So what I am trying to say is anyone who realizes they are not
                          getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                          filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<

                          Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                          access to a number of resources.

                          PMCV
                        • Michael Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 14, 2006
                            pmcvflag wrote:
                            > Ken

                            > gnosticism-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                            > That is a leftover from the days when yahoogroups was oneslist.<<<
                            >
                            > AHHHH! That explains a lot. Thanks Ken!

                            > started the GT list on onelist which was a subscribtion based
                            > internet e-mail list. egroups ate onelist then yahoo ate egroups.
                            > For a while yahoo clubs and yahoogroups operated side by side on
                            > yahoo. Finally yahoo blended yahoo clubs into yahoogroups. That's
                            > how you ended up with the 2 on the end of gnosticism.<<<
                            >
                            > Yes, and those who had the Clubs kind of got snubbed. Not only did
                            > we get the @ added (in spite of the fact that we were older and
                            > larger than the group that got to keep it's original name) but we
                            > also lost several years worth of archives. According to our list it
                            > was created at the end of 2001 rather than in 98, and according to
                            > our archives there are a whole bunch of missing posts from Dec 31,
                            > 1970 *lol*.

                            > they are sent. If they don't get them then likely their SPAM filters
                            > are eating them. For some reason known only to SPAM filters they
                            > will let some posts through and send some to the inbox even though
                            > they are all from the same yahoogroup.<<<
                            >
                            > We had been thinking about switching it so that no one would get
                            > their posts via email, but I think we gave up on that idea. I guess
                            > the fact that people can subscribe without even knowing there is an
                            > actual forum would make that even more difficult.

                            > getting all of their e-mail should check in whatever file their SPAM
                            > filter deposits things it thinks are SPAM.<<<<
                            >
                            > Or even better... come sign in to the forum where you can gain
                            > access to a number of resources.
                            >
                            > PMCV

                            I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                            for looking up old posts./

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006

                              > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                              > for looking up old posts./

                              Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group" messages, and much prefer Web access.  Since I ended up sacrificing four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike.  ;-)

                              Gerry

                            • Michael Leavitt
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 14, 2006
                                Gerry wrote:

                                > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                                > > for looking up old posts./
                                > >

                                > Since we're being honest here, I loathe and detest e-mails for "group"
                                > messages, and much prefer Web access. Since I ended up sacrificing
                                > four other chores today (and some sleep) so that I might catch up on
                                > some of my Internet correspondence, I'm glad that I knew right where
                                > to look in the archives so I could reply to this gem, Mike. ;-)
                                >
                                > Gerry

                                To each his/her own.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                                  Hey Mike

                                  >>>I frankly abhor forums, and much prefer email. /I only use the forum
                                  for looking up old posts./<<<

                                  Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                                  got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                                  know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                                  quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                                  email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                                  the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                                  fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                                  group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                                  answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                                  because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                                  formatting.

                                  In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                                  problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                                  have just been lost).

                                  I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                                  were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                                  on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                                  suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                                  posts in email form.

                                  Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                                  the home page that Gerry made for us! :)

                                  PMCV
                                • Michael Leavitt
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                                    pmcvflag wrote:
                                    > Hey Mike

                                    > for looking up old posts./<<<
                                    >
                                    > Really? You never use the links, or database, or photos, etc? I never
                                    > got the hang of how answering through emails works, so I don't really
                                    > know if I would like it better. However, I do know that it causes
                                    > quite a bit of trouble for us mods *lol*. We are often blamed for
                                    > email posts that don't get through. We are also sometimes blamed for
                                    > the ones that do. We have been accused of kicking people out when in
                                    > fact it was their email post that caused Yahoo to remove them from the
                                    > group. We have had so many people here who were not sure who they were
                                    > answering, which parts they were answering, and so forth... simply
                                    > because in their emails they could not see (or didn't understand) the
                                    > formatting.
                                    >
                                    > In fact, the post I just did for Pneuman demonstrates one of those
                                    > problems with email posting (which luckily us mods caught or it would
                                    > have just been lost).
                                    >
                                    > I am glad that you can keep it straight, and I didn't even realize you
                                    > were answering from your email because you seem to have a good handle
                                    > on how it works. However, for those less familiar I would really
                                    > suggest checking in the forum rather than setting yourself to get
                                    > posts in email form.
                                    >
                                    > Besides, those who look in the forum get to see that purdy picture on
                                    > the home page that Gerry made for us! :)
                                    >
                                    > PMCV

                                    I'm an old hand at email and none of that bothers me, I guess but I
                                    can't stand blogs or forums either one. But then I hate using a
                                    browser to communicate. Surfing is it.