Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Mani & The Manicheans this Sunday on Coffee, Cigs & Gnosis!!!

  • Miguel Conner
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi,

      Well, I think it's safe to say that there is always going to be some cross-pollination between competing religions.  And the fact the father of Christian theology, Saint Augustine, was, in a sense, playing both sides of the field.  Hopefully, Professor BeDuhn will come out with his new work on Augustine in the near future.

      Miguel

      Miguel and all

      >>>Hope you catch it. BeDuhn was a great interviewee. <<<

      SO, I did catch it... did anyone else here do so? Anyone have
      thoughts or comments about the interview, or about the subject?
      Questions? Criticisms? Debate points?

      I did notice a few things about the interview. I noticed how Dr
      BeDuhn seemed to concede the term "Gnosticism" for the sake of the
      interview, but vascilated between drawing the line and trying to make
      a concerted effort to use the term in a more popular way.

      I was also aware of his considerably more diplomatic presentation of
      various authors' method of popularizing Gnosticism, and the resulting
      information as it really relates to subject at hand. The point about
      accentuating certain popular attributes is a nice way of questioning
      the validity of those attributes and reliability of the picture those
      authors are presenting. If one wished to state that more simply they
      could say that many popular efforts are unfortunately based on gloss
      and spin.... but I am a bit more blunt than most ;)

      I was a little disappointed that Dr BeDuhn danced past the issue of
      the funtion of gnosis in Manichaean thought vs the function in
      Gnostic thinking, since it is so core to the issue of what the
      category of "Gnostic" is meant to communicate. I do, however,
      understand that simply going with the flow may have been easier
      considering the shortness of the interview and perhaps the fact that
      the audience was likely to be new to the subject. Of course, in this
      forum we try to go a bit deeper into this kind of issue. Even in this
      forum it has sometimes been difficult to convey for some people that
      the Gnostic concept of "Gnosis" is different from the Catholic
      concept of "gnosis", because when people see the word they tend to
      automatically assume a whole host of connections.

      I have often argued that the Manichaean concept of "gnosis", is far
      closer to the orthodox Christian (especially Catholic) usage than to
      the Gnostic one. However, I leave that open to discussion and debate.

      PMCV

      Visit http://thegodabovegod.com/ and become part of the new Renaissance of Gnosticism and Truthseeking.

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
        >>>Doh! I should have asked him how to pronounce his name since I'm
        the eternal autodidact! Oh well, you'd be surprised at how many guest
        mispronounce 'Miguel' during interviews.<<<

        LOL, yeah, but I bet I have it worse. My last name is Nygren... and I
        am trying to remember the last time somebody actually said it right.

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
          Hey Miguel

          >>>Well, I think it's safe to say that there is always going to be
          some cross-pollination between competing religions.<<<

          Very true. Especially when the religions in question are already a
          bit syncratic (or ecclectic, as the case may be). Still, it is even
          true of the "orthodox" religions, though many practitioners would
          like to believe otherwise.

          >>>Hopefully, Professor BeDuhn will come out with his new work on
          Augustine in the near future.<<<

          Yes. BTW, for those who may be interested Dr BeDuhn also wrote a book
          on New Testement translation called "Truth in Translation", you can
          get it on Amazon (plug). It may sound off topic, but I have some of
          Dr BeDuhn's own translations of New Testement texts, and it would
          shock many people how much more Valentinian Paul sounds (or maybe I
          should say how like Paul some Valentinian texts sound) when he is
          translated in a way that maintains words like "pleroma" the way they
          did with the Nag Hammadi texts in English.

          PMCV
        • Michael Leavitt
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
            Gee, I didn't know you were Vietnamese, common name there.

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
              Hey Mike

              >>Gee, I didn't know you were Vietnamese, common name there.<<

              Unless I am mistaken, I believe the name you may be thinking of is
              Nguyen. My name, Nygren, is Swedish.

              PMCV
            • Michael Leavitt
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 3, 2006