Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Genuine Gnostics

  • Michael Leavitt
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 12, 2006
      lady_caritas wrote:
      > Ah, thanks for that, Mike. So, I was expressing myself like PMCV?
      > *lol* As long as this expression remains literary and doesn't take a
      > physical turn. I'm really not ready to shave my head. ;-)
      >
      > Cari

      Heaven forfend!
    • Michael Leavitt
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2006
        pmcvflag wrote:
        > Great post, Cari.
        >
        > ""Experience the Truth for themselves"? A thought: Valentinian
        > cosmology shows the aeon Truth not alone, but rather paired with its
        > consort, Intellect."
        >
        > I am still amazed sometimes that no matter how explicit the ancient
        > Gnostics were about the importance of reason and intellect in the
        > concept of Gnosis, there are people who seem to breeze past such
        > passages in the text as if they were not there.
        >
        > PMCV

        I'm tempted to say it is because they are airheads, but probably it is
        lazyness, as thought is difficult especially about symbolic visions and
        experiences, it is easier just to "intuit" and go on. Real intuition is
        seeing everything at once on any given matter, abstract thought, so even
        here things get messed up. Maybe this whole thing is why old Max
        Heindel once said, you never understand anything until you have
        explained it to another.
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 17, 2006
          What? The shaved head isn't sexy? Drat!

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 17, 2006
            Mike...

            >>>I'm tempted to say it is because they are airheads, but probably
            it is lazyness, as thought is difficult especially about symbolic
            visions and experiences, it is easier just to "intuit" and go on.<<<

            I am REALLY glad you said it and not me *lol*. Well, I do like to
            try and play "good cop" SOMETIMES ;) Seriously though, I think what
            you point out is a common problem with popular postmodernist belief.

            >>>Real intuition is seeing everything at once on any given matter,
            abstract thought, so even here things get messed up.<<<

            Indeed. In fact, maybe we should not blame the people who are simply
            taking this word in common English usage, but instead the
            translators who mistakenly put the term in the texts. Many people
            simply assume it is some kind of "gut feeling" or "precognition"
            (common to modern usage), when in fact the texts talk about it in a
            very different way.

            >>>Maybe this whole thing is why old Max Heindel once said, you
            never understand anything until you have explained it to another.<<<

            Don't know so much about Max, but it does remind me of a much older
            saying... "one who does not know the words does not know the
            meanings"