Re: Follow-up to an Earlier Post: Why I'm a Gnostic

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2006
      Hello Colona

      I am going to try to see if I can talk about the issues you raise,
      but I have to admit that your English is a bit difficult to follow so
      please be patient if I misunderstand the points you are trying to
      raise.

      You start...

      >>>I have a problem to understand The Gospel of Judas, as a gnostic
      gosel. What I think, why church was to harmonize with helenistic and
      not with gnosticism.<<<

      The historical movement known as "Gnosticism" was within the larger
      movement of "Hellenism". That is to say, Gnosticism was a Hellenized
      system.

      >>>If Judas be the diligent disciple among other, the author of the
      Gospel of Judas might show his argumentation, that the Sethian never
      explain their Christology in the Gospel of Judas. They try to
      promote Jesus as a humanbeing (as Arius, contrary with Athanasius).<<<

      There is quite a bit of range in the literary category
      of "Sethianism". Remember, the Sethain form is not the same as the
      Sethian sect. The most obvious attributes that generally cause a text
      to be placed in the literary group of "Sethian" are listed in our
      links section. In Judas we see the essential Sethian cosmology, such
      as figures like Barbelo.

      >>>The humanbeing of Jesus make the new sense in the church. Why we
      might to believe Him as God, if the real God is not like bible says.
      Jesus, acording to The Gospel of Judas, was looking of the real God,
      and he didn't find Him.<<<

      What we may personally feel about the "truth" of Jesus and God is
      basically meaningless for the focus of this forum. We are not here to
      discover if the Gospel of Judas is true or valid, but instead we are
      here to talk about what it means and who used it so that you can make
      up your own mind in an informed way.

      >>>If Jesus want to realize his human body to the spiritual body, the
      incarnation is the "deity method" to present Jesus in the earth.
      Wherever, I don't find the story of Who is the real Jesus in The
      Gospel of Judas.<<<

      To some extent this is because Judas most likely assumes a prior
      understanding of the context it was written in. For those who already
      have the introduction to Sethian thought these aspects stand out a
      bit more fully. Still, talking about who Jesus is simply isn't the
      fuction of this text. Rather it is meant to be a polemic pointing out
      what the Gnostic author felt to be grave mistakes in the
      understanding of the newly growing "orthodox" movement.

      We have to be careful not to understand this text only as it would be
      compared to the Gospels we are familiar with. Instead it needs to be
      understood in the function for which it was intended to be used.