Re: Genuine Gnostics

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 11, 2006

      > lady_caritas wrote:
      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hey Mike

      > >> Since Lady Cari is the more skilled of the two of us I think the
      > >>
      > > fact
      > >
      > >> I could even be remotely compared with her is quite a compliment
      > >> me. Of course, all three of us mods are basically in agreement
      as

      > >> the focus of our little tea party and how it should be hosted,
      in
      > >> spite of our stylistic differences. Maybe the more surprising
      (and
      > >> funny) perspective comes from those people here who find so much
      > >> difference in us in spite of the fact that we are often saying
      > >>
      > > exactly
      > >
      > >> the same things in only slightly different ways.
      > >>
      > >> Anyway, all, I have been offline for a bit but I am back and
      should

      > > be
      > >
      > >> able to get in the swing of things within the next few days.
      Sorry
      > >> about any posts I left unanswered.
      > >>
      > >> PMCV
      > >>

      > > Dear PMCV, thank you for your gracious support; however, I
      > > interpreted Mike's comments as complimentary in relation to
      *your*
      > > skillfulness as a barometer. ;-)
      > >
      > > Besides, I'm not past feeling clumsy in my communication
      attempts, by
      > > any means. *lol*
      > >
      > > Welcome back.
      > >

      > > Cari fear not, you both have great ability. Stylistically it
      sounded like Karl.

      Ah, thanks for that, Mike. So, I was expressing myself like PMCV?
      *lol* As long as this expression remains literary and doesn't take a
      physical turn. I'm really not ready to shave my head. ;-)

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 12, 2006
        Great post, Cari.

        ""Experience the Truth for themselves"? A thought: Valentinian
        cosmology shows the aeon Truth not alone, but rather paired with its
        consort, Intellect."

        I am still amazed sometimes that no matter how explicit the ancient
        Gnostics were about the importance of reason and intellect in the
        concept of Gnosis, there are people who seem to breeze past such
        passages in the text as if they were not there.

        PMCV
      • Michael Leavitt
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 12, 2006
          lady_caritas wrote:
          > Ah, thanks for that, Mike. So, I was expressing myself like PMCV?
          > *lol* As long as this expression remains literary and doesn't take a
          > physical turn. I'm really not ready to shave my head. ;-)
          >
          > Cari

          Heaven forfend!
        • Michael Leavitt
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2006
            pmcvflag wrote:
            > Great post, Cari.
            >
            > ""Experience the Truth for themselves"? A thought: Valentinian
            > cosmology shows the aeon Truth not alone, but rather paired with its
            > consort, Intellect."
            >
            > I am still amazed sometimes that no matter how explicit the ancient
            > Gnostics were about the importance of reason and intellect in the
            > concept of Gnosis, there are people who seem to breeze past such
            > passages in the text as if they were not there.
            >
            > PMCV

            I'm tempted to say it is because they are airheads, but probably it is
            lazyness, as thought is difficult especially about symbolic visions and
            experiences, it is easier just to "intuit" and go on. Real intuition is
            seeing everything at once on any given matter, abstract thought, so even
            here things get messed up. Maybe this whole thing is why old Max
            Heindel once said, you never understand anything until you have
            explained it to another.
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 17, 2006
              What? The shaved head isn't sexy? Drat!

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 17, 2006
                Mike...

                >>>I'm tempted to say it is because they are airheads, but probably
                it is lazyness, as thought is difficult especially about symbolic
                visions and experiences, it is easier just to "intuit" and go on.<<<

                I am REALLY glad you said it and not me *lol*. Well, I do like to
                try and play "good cop" SOMETIMES ;) Seriously though, I think what
                you point out is a common problem with popular postmodernist belief.

                >>>Real intuition is seeing everything at once on any given matter,
                abstract thought, so even here things get messed up.<<<

                Indeed. In fact, maybe we should not blame the people who are simply
                taking this word in common English usage, but instead the
                translators who mistakenly put the term in the texts. Many people
                simply assume it is some kind of "gut feeling" or "precognition"
                (common to modern usage), when in fact the texts talk about it in a
                very different way.

                >>>Maybe this whole thing is why old Max Heindel once said, you
                never understand anything until you have explained it to another.<<<

                Don't know so much about Max, but it does remind me of a much older
                saying... "one who does not know the words does not know the
                meanings"