Who is the reader of The Gospel of Judas

  • colona_141099
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2006
      Dear, groups!

      Is the coptic church in Egypt is the reader of the Gospel of Judas? Why
      Irenaeus challanged this gospel, and why, on the next, that gospel must
      be translated in Coptic, from Greek?

      I realize a problem of christianity in the 3rd century. So we must need
      a hermeneutic method toward the appocripha.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
        Colona

        >>>Is the coptic church in Egypt is the reader of the Gospel of Judas?
        <<<

        No, the Coptic church doesn't use Judas. Judas had disappeared until
        it was very recently published.

        >>>Why Irenaeus challanged this gospel, and why, on the next, that
        gospel must be translated in Coptic, from Greek?<<<

        Irenaeus challenged the gospel because he was a heresiologist and
        figured this book to be heretical.

        Most of the Gnostic texts survive in Coptic because they seem to have
        remained in usage longer (or perhaps more widely) in the Coptic
        speaking world. Alexandria was a major source for the Platonized
        Hellenistic religious structures we call "Middle Platonism" and "neo-
        Platonism", and a number of closely related systems of thought
        including the Merkabah of Philo, both forms of Gnosticism, Hermetism,
        etc.. Greek was the language of the educated in Alexandria, but
        Coptic could reach a wider readership. Therefore it is no surprize
        that the copies that survive would be Coptic translations of Greek
        originals.