Re: Al-Gurna New?.

  • imdarkchylde
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2006
      Blessings!!
      Is there a website for this information? Hadn't heard anything about
      it but you most assuredly have my interest.
      Dan Brown. (Snicker)
      Love and inner peas
      DarkChylde

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Unknown" <hey_market@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys. Long time since I've been here to post, although I still
      check in on discussions
      > whenever I can. To that end, IMHO, it's worth noting that this
      remains the best site of its
      > kind by far. Keep up the good work.
      >
      > Meanwhile, today I'm just popping in to see if you guys had any
      information about last year's
      > discovery of Gnostic manuscripts at Al-Gurna? Not much has leaked
      out about this project,
      > but I know that the moderators of this group often dig up nuggets
      of Gnostic news otherwise
      > unavailable on the net. So, whaddyaknow?
      >
      > Although Zawi Hawass initially hailed the find as as being equal to
      Nag Hammadi in its
      > significance, I've heard and read otherwise--that it's something of
      a shrug of the shoulders.
      > A few rerums of Nag material, miscellaneous other stuff, end of
      story.

      > In any case, I fully realize that Hawass isn't immune to hyperbole,
      and that's probably what's
      > at work here. Of course, history has shown that these things can
      take time to come to light,
      > for innumerable reasons. I just hope they share something,
      anything, before Dan Brown &
      > company start speculating.

    • spcdbrs
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 15, 2006
        There has been some additional information released on these coptic manuscripts.
        However, the codices did not contain Gnostic material after all. Rather, they contained the
        Canons of Pseudo-Basil, an Encomion on St Pisenthios, and a translation of Isaiah.

        http://www.centrumarcheologii.uw.edu.pl/cas/pliki/nwsl13.pdf
        http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/coptic_codex.htm

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 15, 2006
          Hi Hey_Market, long time no see.

          >>>Meanwhile, today I'm just popping in to see if you guys had any
          information about last year's discovery of Gnostic manuscripts at Al-
          Gurna? Not much has leaked out about this project, but I know that the
          moderators of this group often dig up nuggets of Gnostic news otherwise
          unavailable on the net. So, whaddyaknow?<<<

          I haven't kept up with this one more recently so I don't know if
          anything new has been discovered or published. Last I had heard the
          texts had been identified and in spite of early speculation none of
          them wound up being Gnostic. I don't remember all the details, but I
          recall that they were later texts than the Nag Hammadi, and it turned
          out there were only three books. They were identified as follows; A
          Copitc copy of Isaiah, a biography of some Coptic saint that I can't
          remember, and a rule book for Christian living.

          I have been trying to keep up with Oxyrhynchus, though, and I think
          there is a good chance that many more interesting discoveries are
          likely to come from there.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 15, 2006
            Hey Space Debris, welcome to the group!

            >>>There has been some additional information released on these coptic
            manuscripts. However, the codices did not contain Gnostic material
            after all. Rather, they contained the Canons of Pseudo-Basil, an
            Encomion on St Pisenthios, and a translation of Isaiah.

            http://www.centrumarcheologii.uw.edu.pl/cas/pliki/nwsl13.pdf
            http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/coptic_codex.htm<<<

            Well crud! When I started my post I didn't see yours yet (Yahoo has
            been odd tonight). Looks like you answered the question better than I
            did.