A Personal Introduction

  • i_eat_pi_at_314
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2006
      Many years before I ever knew what gnosticism was, I had a
      dream. There's this impossibly high rock "finger" jutting up from the
      ground. I began to climb it. I occasionally pass human bones which
      have ossified and blended into the stone surface. There's no
      vegetation, just igneous-like rock.
      I eventually leave the clouds far below me. I'm very near the
      top. Just as the blue sky begans to darken, I find a decapitated
      snake. It's body is wiggling and the tongue continues to flicker.
      Somehow I know to stick the head back on the body. The snake then
      crawls up a narrow path to the top and into the sky. I start to climb
      after it. I slip on the snake's deciduous skin and fall over the side
      into the gloom. Then I abrumptly woke up.
      This dream has more religious significance for me than any other
      experience. No sunrise, no thought, nothing has ever been so numinous
      or poignant. The dream remains enigmatic, yet the feel of the stone
      and the snake's cool muscular body were as real as anything I've ever
      touched. It's more vivid than most of my so-called memories.
      As with many, my introduction to gnosticism was Elaine Pagel's
      book "The Gnostic Gospels." I grew up in a protestant church which
      frowned on charismatic insights. I never knew the early church had
      fought against religiously significant dreams such as mine. I was
      taught that God spoke through an established canon which was then
      filtered by community standards of truth. Pagels showed me that
      direct revelation from God was historically possible.
      Was my dream a revelation from God? Ironically, the inability to
      answer this question clearly makes me wonder all the more. I received
      no message; there was no moral chart encoded in stone on the
      mountain. Yet, it's as if my whole body participated in the dream,
      not just my head. That's the one time in my life when I felt
      "whole". My church had claimed that only Jesus Christ could endow me
      with wholeness, integrating my spiritual and carnel selves. Although
      I've not climbed that mountain in years, I know it's there. That's
      enough to debunk orthodoxy for me.
      I have access to an academic library which has an extensive
      collection of books on gnosticism and related topics. Still, I lack
      people with whom I can discuss the ideas I read about. Even as
      misanthropic a gnostic as myself needs a community of like-minded
      believers. That's why I'm giving this group a try. Gnosticism springs
      from the border town between light and darkness. It's dangerous to go
      there alone. Perhalps there are those willing to go with me.
      Sincerely,
      A New Member
    • imdarkchylde
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
        What a fascinating dream!! I do believe it to be an allagory (isn't
        everything) for your search for truth, and that you weren't willing
        to take what others told you to be truth, you seek it out for
        yourself. I believe the snake you 'helped' to be your guide,
        although perhaps not the way you might have thought.
        When I had my first out-of-body- experiecnce, I didn't look down and
        see myself as I have heard others describe it (I'm not negating
        anyone who had such an experience, mind you, mine was just different)
        but i was suddenly enveloped in a darkness so black, so engulfing,
        and I could feel it seemed limitless. This scared the bejesus out of
        me and I found myself back in my own skin. I haven't dared to cross
        the threshold since, but my studies in Gnosticism and other beliefs
        have helped me do discover what that void is and I am no longer
        afraid, although I haven't tried another OBE yet. Perhaps
        your 'fall' in your dream is similar, and the blackness is not to be
        feared even though that is the most predictable and understandable
        reaction.
        Welcome to the group!!!

        Love and inner peas,
        DarkChylde

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "i_eat_pi_at_314"
        <i_eat_pi_at_314@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > "whole". My church had claimed that only Jesus Christ could endow
        me
        > with wholeness, integrating my spiritual and carnel selves.
        Although
        > I've not climbed that mountain in years, I know it's there. That's
        > enough to debunk orthodoxy for me.
        > I have access to an academic library which has an extensive
        > collection of books on gnosticism and related topics. Still, I lack
        > people with whom I can discuss the ideas I read about. Even as
        > misanthropic a gnostic as myself needs a community of like-minded
        > believers. That's why I'm giving this group a try. Gnosticism
        springs
        > from the border town between light and darkness. It's dangerous to
        go
        > there alone. Perhalps there are those willing to go with me.

      • marinas_snake
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
          Fascinating dream!

          Marina