Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: seeking answers about children of light

  • Nick Lawrance
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 29, 2006
      From Deb

      Hi Nick;

      You see there is the next question than, what would be the best
      ritual or group of rituals to do than?

      Sincerely,
      Deb

      Well personally I can not comment on the efficacy rituals as I have had no experience of them. The Gospel of Thomas is an excellent resource but it rejects the idea of ritual rather its Stresses the importance of self knowledge. Its a performative task whereby one is expected to work on answering the mostly cryptic and obscure riddles presented by Jesus. In Thomas  Jesus presents an alternative means of understanding oneself, God and the world and requires deep pondering, reflection and use of one's imagination. If successful it results in a transformation of ones consciousness and revelation of the kingdom. The challenge is to awaken the slumbering spirit within you so that it may unite with its heavenly counterpart. I suppose many people would not like Thomas because it gives you no clear cut answers but the whole point of Thomas in my opinion is the seeking and finding. In fact Thomas reminds me of a something I once read.

      Someone said to Bahaudin Naqshband:

      "You relate stories, but you do not tell us how to understand them.'
      He said: ' How would you like it if the man from whom you bought fruit consumed it before your eyes, leaving you only the skin?"

      Gnosticism place great emphasis on revealed knowing, all the knowledge one needs to find the kingdom is already within oneself and Thomas provides the necessary know how to access that knowledge.

      Nick

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 30, 2006
        Hey De

        >>>In seeing what your saying about this forum and I am not looking
        to state anything politcal in anyway except to discuss these gospels
        in a historical sense in a different way, which forum would you
        suggest to discuss this way in?<<<

        In an historical way? Then I would suggest THIS forum (this may be
        the most historical forum on this subject on the whole net). I got
        the impression that the points you were trying to bring up were more
        psychological than historical... is that right or do I misunderstand
        you?

        >>>I would more than happy to leave and go to there, since perhaps
        maybe I was mislead also initially when I started my discussion. So
        If you can recommend to me which would forum would be best, I
        apologize for this disruption.<<<

        No disruption, perhaps just different subject matters ;)

        Normally when people have had a wider interest in modern Gnostic
        (neo-Gnostic) thinking (or eastern thought within western New Age
        paradigm) instead of historical forums I have suggested the
        following group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DharmaGnosis/ However,
        in your case I am not sure if that is the best place for discussion
        either. Still, you may wish to try it. Otherwise, perhaps what you
        are really looking for is not a "Gnostic" group but instead
        a "mystic" and "psychological" group?

        Anyway, I am sorry we could not help you, but give the DharmaGnosis
        group a try. And if that does not work perhaps we can help find
        another group for you. I will try to do a search for you so we can
        find the people that can deal with your more sociological subject in
        a better way. We are honest about our limitations, and I would
        really love to see you find the group that can deal with the very
        importand subject that seems your passion.