Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: old or new?

  • --Michael
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2006
      [Somewhat off-topic -- apologies in advance]

      Hmmm.... Interesting. Same case with the Roman Catholics. The
      pre-Vatican II (ante 1965) Mass ("Tridentine") was done with the back
      of the priest to the congregation, never facing.

      After V. II, a new, much simpler (mostly three marble slabs) altar was
      added so the priest would face the people. Newer churches of course
      incorporated the revised liturgical practice.

      Personally, I prefer the older style. One sees that occasionally at
      Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian services in my diocese.

      As Debbie points out, change the traditional way of doing things and
      something is lost. The more "mystical" - if you will - aspects of the
      Latin Mass were lost after the changes. The language become the common
      vernacular, the Sacraments lost a great deal of their mystery, and so
      on. The entire "feel" was changed; it was not at all the same
      experience.

      Returning to Gnosticism, I fail to see how it can be modernized for
      reasons that have been hashed over here numerous times.

      That's not to say some form(s) Neo-Gnosticism can't be developed based
      on historical sources. I understand some groups have done just that
      (just as some Neo-Pagan groups have "reconstructed" ancient religions,
      e.g., Hellenismos and Kemeticism).

      Wicca, according to Gerald Gardner was a revived continuation of
      ancient British pagan practices (cf. Hutton). While the veracity of
      that claim is suspect, there is no doubt that Wicca "works" for quite a
      few.

      Presumably the same could be true of Neo-Gnosticism. Most any religious
      (or non-religious) system can find at least a few followers.

      --Michael

      --- debbie wheeler <mer248lina@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      > I do not know enough about the rituals yet but i am minded to bring
      up what for me is an interesting point. Prior to the 1980 version of
      the Book of Common Prayer in the anglian church, the priest during
      invocation stood at the alter with arms lifted and his back to the
      devoteres. In the 1980s book there was a change in this stance so
      that the priest then came forward and was facing the devotees so that
      God was seen to be among people rather than afar off. this change
      mostly went unnoticed by attendees in terms of the
      idealogical/doctinal meaning of the shift of the ritual. If gnostic
      rituals were to be modernised, might such subltle changes also occur,
      thereby changing relationships between people and the divine?. Of
      course i appreciate that in gnosticsm the divine is withheld within -
      so to speak- and am unable to offer a suitable analogy.

      [snip]

      http://mail.yahoo.com