Re: Old vs new - Who decides?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 31, 2006

> [...]
      > those would be hard to deny. I'm not talking about arcane
      > implications lifted via difficult hermeneutic theories.

      > spells this out.<<<
      >
      > Well, the little allegory admittedly depends on the debatable point
      > of whether or not these texts were meant to be allegory at all.
      > This, however, only applies to the that aspect and not to the
      direct
      > defining points that I previously listed.

      > Plotinus seriously, and can only assume that he was, in fact,
      > aquainted with a group or groups that were cosmo-phobic and
      > elitist.<<<
      >
      > Oh, I take Plotinus seriously as well. However, it doesn't follow
      > that simply because he was in contact with some people he is
      > debating that he understood them fully. Perhaps he did, but without
      > knowing exactly who he was talking to it is hard to be sure.... we
      > are only hearing one side of the debate and that is never a good
      > thing. If, as some evidence suggests, Allogenes was one of the
      > specific texts he was trying to refute, then we do have to leave
      > some room for the book (and movement) to speak for itself.
      >
      > I think there is no question that there were a number of
      > philosophies (including some Gnostics, though not necessarily all)
      > that held negative views of the Cosmos.

      > in a dualistic, cosmo-phobic world-view, so it doesn't trouble me
      > think that the author of the Secret Book of John might similarly
      > been stuck at what I now perceive to be a lower spiritual
      > understanding.<<<
      >
      > I have doubts that this is actually what AOJ was really trying to
      > convey, but you could be right. There are hints of apophatic
      > theology in it as well, though I agree they don't seem to be as
      > developed (or at least as fully stated) as some other texts. I
      think
      > either way we have to be careful about taking implications from a
      > text that may simply have no connection to the people Plotinus was
      > talking to. Not to say it isn't of value, just that we have to be
      > careful.

      > best available evidence. Unfortunately, in the case of Sethian and
      > Valentinian thought, this is complicated by the fact that we can
      > never know whether a particular mythological motif is to be taken
      > literally or symbolically.<<<
      >
      > I have to disagree with you here. There are several passages I can
      > think of off the top of my head where Gnostic texts warn the
      readier
      > explicitly to understand something as, if not allegory, at least
      > imperfect metephor.

      > makes no difference to me whatsoever.<<<
      >
      > I have a number of personal views that have not always found
      > reconciliation yet ;) For me, everything makes a difference... but
      > that annoys many others so I guess I should not always expect
      others
      > to be so anal as I am *lol*.
      >
      > PMCV

      > Hi Karl. My goodness, you are precise in your thinking! LOL! I'm
      afraid I'm not. OK, I'll bite. How, exactly, do you think that the
      Sethians defined the word, "gnosis"? Don't worry, I'm not trying to
      debate this, since I really don't know exactly what they might have
      meant. Maybe you could give us a 30-second "sound-bite" spelling-out,
      in plain straightforward language, what AOJ meant by the word. -Steve
      Message 97 of 97 , Aug 20, 2006
        Michael

        >>>How could one ever conceive of Garnerian Wicca being in the least
        G/gnostic?<<<

        Er... my point exactly.