Re: Scholarship on the Terms: Gnosis vs. Gnostic

  • imdarkchylde
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2006
      I too try to unite rather than seperate, and I too look to what we
      all, Gnostic (if you call yourself that), Christian, Muslim, Sufi,
      Buddhist- I believe all paths to be different roads to the same
      light.
      However, I have to support Cari, whose research in this is probably
      more in scope than Wikipedia, and I have noticed that religions who
      ascribe to the same core will fight more vehemently over
      translations than they will over completely different beliefs.
      Hence the anamosity between the suni and the shite, the catholic and
      the protestant- need I cite more examples? I suspect this existed
      with the ancient Gnostics as well. Sometimes we are less tolerant
      of someone who believes as we do but doesn't agree with us than
      someone with different views altogether, as seems to be the reality
      for other beliefs or religions.
      Also, and I could be wrong in this (I personally always TRY to leave
      myself open to the 'possibility') but I doubt if the ancients
      called themselves 'gnostic' anymore than the ancient Vikings called
      themselves Vikings. They called themselves the Northmen, and only
      thier enemies called them Vikings. I wonder if since a great deal
      of the info we have on the ancient Gnostics was written by thier
      enemies, we must be careful what can be gleaned from that.
      And although the Gnostics might not have elaborated on themselves as
      much, there IS much on how they defined Gnosis.
      Knowledge in itself is taken for granted nowdays, in our age
      of 'instant information'. Perhaps because of this fact the
      definition of knowledge as we know it has undergone a change, and we
      do not appreciate knowledge for itself. I have found in my personal
      life that all bigotry, prejudice and chavenism is due to ignorance-
      ignorance for what it is like to walk in another's shoes. Once one
      has taken that journey, ignorance dies and true understanding takes
      place. We are well educated in today's world, we talk openly and
      without the fear of retribution for our beliefs, which existed in
      the world before, and which I feel is the reason gnostism was
      exclusified by the elite was because the common man as it were
      couldn't buck conventional religion without fear, much like the guy
      in the fancy car gets by with infractions because he can afford the
      high-priced lawyer to get him out, while the person in the beat-up
      pinto gets reamed because he can't afford the same representation,
      and the officer issuing citations is well aware of that. The rich
      and powerful have never been under the same rules as the rest of us,
      and I'm sure that was as true then as it is now.
      I would really do some serious research before one takes up cudgels
      in this group.*LOL*
      Love and peas
      Darkchylde

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@...>