The Early Church and Gnostic Thought

  • George
    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 16, 2006
      To PMCV:

      Such a large post!

      Let's see if I can give it justice.

      You write:

      "Do you mean we need one term? How about "movements that call for a
      > raising of the spirit".

      I find this to be a rather incomplete definition.
      The term needs to include at least half of the forms of
      Christianity. Don't you agree?

      You write:
      > Making a category that is overly inclusive is generally frowned in
      > academic practice, since it can too easily be used to gloss and
      > misrepresent."

      This is pretty much my point. Outsiders and insiders seem to
      obscure the common gnostic thread in much of modern religion.

      You write:
      > Whether there was a line between Christianity and Gnosticism is
      > something historians are still debating."

      Would this be a debate on this particular list? Which Christian
      sects of the early Church would NOT have been gnostic?

      This may be the crux of our discussion!

      Regards,

      George
      Message 97 of 97 , Aug 20, 2006
        Michael

        >>>How could one ever conceive of Garnerian Wicca being in the least
        G/gnostic?<<<

        Er... my point exactly.