Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Old vs new

  • --Michael
    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 10, 2006
      Yeah, everything. That is, nothing should be changed.

      All I ask is a no more than provided by scholars writing for general
      (although educated and interested) audiences - a lengthy discussion of
      the background of the material (social, cultural, philosphical, etc.)
      and explanations of the always-necessary technical and untranslatable
      terms.

      This has been done, e.g., in scholarly books about Buddhism, the Shin
      sect for one (few though they may be). Likewise, Stoicism,
      Epicureanism, Skepticism, and so on; they're in my library.

      If there's some burning drive for a "modern Gnosticism," fine. Label it
      as Neo-Gnosticism, Revised Gnosticism, Regenerated, or whatever. Just
      don't pretend it's the same as it was quite a few centuries ago. A lot
      has changed over time.

      There are Neo-Stoics and Neo-Epicureans that attempt to expand upon and
      apply their respective doctrines as best as possible, considering
      modern conditions. They attempt to follow in the footsteps of the
      ancients with the necessary modifications to fit into the present. In
      fact, Stocism underwent many modifications over the course of
      centuries.

      But is there any reason for Gnosticism to be adapted to present times?

      The persons mentioned above are pretty "hard-core" in sticking with the
      core doctrines (as best as they are understood, since so much source
      material has been lost). That is to say, their adaptations are minimal.

      It's challenging enough to attempt to make an ancient Greek philosophy
      part of one's life. Wouldn't that be even more so with Gnosticism?

      Michael

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 97 of 97 , Aug 20, 2006
        Michael

        >>>How could one ever conceive of Garnerian Wicca being in the least
        G/gnostic?<<<

        Er... my point exactly.