Re: Old vs new

    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 8, 2006
      Ok, since this groups is too old to have the "poll" feature I am
      kind of keeping a running tally here.

      -Mike L., if I understand you it seems you feel that the system
      itself is complete and needs no change, but that perhaps a more
      modern lingo could be good.

      -George offers some interesting points... but I am not sure if they
      deal much with my questions so I wasn't sure where in the spectrum
      you were positing. If I may make a few leaps and tie a few strings
      (only hinted at), I THINK (please correct me if I misunderstand)
      that you are saying that the Gnostic system itself has not specific
      validity other than what it shares in common with other systems of
      mysticism. Change, or no change, would be irrelevant.

      -Tom, if I understand you it seems that you believe the ancient
      Gnostics were essentially the precursers to modern popular
      postmodernism in thier eclecticism. Therefore, any change that may
      happen isn't REALLY a change at all.... but just a continuation of a
      style of searching.

      -Michael, you were very clear with your point. Like Mike previously,
      it seems you do find the terms at least need some explination, but
      you obviously feel the system itself is as valid today as it ever
      was.

      Since Jana was asking me for clerification on the question, I'll
      deal with her points in another post. I am going to tentatively
      tally the score this way...

      2= Ancient Gnosticism needs no updating or modernization. (Mike and
      Michael)

      1= Modern Gnosticism is really no different from traditional
      Gnosticism since it's main attribute is some kind of eclectic
      methodology (Tom)

      1= Gnosticism has no special validity, but instead only a certain
      core that has survived in many other religions (George).

      I'm still hoping many more people will comment on this, since it
      really could be a fruitful subject matter to explore.

      Message 97 of 97 , Aug 20, 2006
        Michael

        >>>How could one ever conceive of Garnerian Wicca being in the least
        G/gnostic?<<<

        Er... my point exactly.