Re: [Gnosticism2] Old vs new

  • Tom Ragland
    Message 1 of 97 , Jul 7, 2006
      --- pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > I have seen many people suggest that modern notions
      > of Gnosticism
      > outweigh ancient forms. So here is the question; Why
      >
      > would "Gnosticism" need to "keep up with the times",
      > so to speak? In
      > what way would it need to be modernized, or what is
      > it failing by
      > modern standards?

      I got the feeling from reading the ancient texts
      that the gnostic thinkers back then were full tilt
      using every resource they had at their disposal
      to shift their paradigms into new ways of thinking.
      Given seven heavens, they quested for the eighth
      and ninth. Given Adam and Eve fallen in the
      garden, they wanted to know the Snake. They wanted
      to understand and surpass the archons and embrace
      a reality beyond. They took the best of Plato,
      of Hermes, of Judaism, of the Mysteries, and
      danced with a sense of psychological creativity
      that confused their opposition.

      Fast forward to modern times retaining the same
      gnostic spirit of daring thought process. Would
      not such a gnostic spirit explore and embrace
      and even surpass modern psychology and science,
      explore the opening up of the world's scriptures
      in translations and computer analysis, compare
      mystical paths from various traditions, and as
      such become neo-gnostic in the same way that
      ancient neo-platonists took the ideas of Plato
      into their then modern age?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 97 of 97 , Aug 20, 2006
        Michael

        >>>How could one ever conceive of Garnerian Wicca being in the least
        G/gnostic?<<<

        Er... my point exactly.