Mike Leavitt, Books to read on theGnostic gospels?

  • eagleeyedwildwoman
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 10, 2006
      What books do you all recommend?, I want to read translations the
      scriptures. I went to my local books store and found these books
      possibilities:

      The Gospel of Thomas: The Gnostic Wisdom of Jesus

      by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
      Avg customer review:
      Usually ships in 24 hours
      Price: $9.72

      The Gospel of Philip : Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and the Gnosis of
      Sacred Union

      by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
      Avg customer review:
      Usually ships in 24

      The Gospel of Mary Magdalene

      by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
      Avg customer review:
      Usually ships in 24 hours
      Price: $9.72

      Gnostic Gospel Of St. Thomas

      by Tau Malachi
      Avg customer review:
      Usually ships in 24 hours
      Price: $11.67

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 10, 2006
        Hey Darkchylde

        >>>So I adamantly refuse to think of another's beliefs as "wrong".<<<

        I applaud your open-mindedness. I do think it is important to
        understand, though, that the Gnostics were actually quite willing to
        think of the beliefs of others as "wrong". Now, of course anyone is
        welcome to disagree with the Gnostics here, but it is also to disagree
        with the ancient meaning of the very word "Gnosis", since the whole
        point of that word was to draw a line between what they viewed as a
        right understanding vs a wrong one.

        >>>So how can we say someone is wrong because they do not see as we
        do? Aren't we more enlightened than that?<<

        How do you logically justify the assumption that enlightenment equates
        with un-critical acceptance of anything anyone says? I ask that
        honestly and out of curiousity. Some would argue that if we were
        enlightened we should accept the notion that WE can be wrong, and toss
        things out for the sake of debate so that we can really test them (a
        basic notion of the "Enlightenment Era").

        The reason I am curious about this is that is all seems so
        inconsistant with the fact that you also talk about "Truth". If no one
        can be wrong, then there can be no such thing as "Truth" other than
        the one truth that no one is wrong. What I mean is, if everyone is
        already right, then there is simply no need to look any further for
        not only any kind of scientific "truth", but also for any spiritual
        truth. It also means, that in thier own world even those who think
        others are "wrong" are right to do so... and justified in whatever
        action they take. What, then, would even be the point of questioning
        the fact that anyone says others are wrong, since they would be right
        to do so?

        If all that is true... what is the point of being interested in
        Gnosticism other than for the sake of personal entertainment?

        PMCV
      • Michael Leavitt
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 10, 2006
          eagleeyedwildwoman wrote:
          > What books do you all recommend?, I want to read translations the
          > scriptures. I went to my local books store and found these books
          > possibilities:
          >
          > The Gospel of Thomas: The Gnostic Wisdom of Jesus
          >
          > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
          > Avg customer review:
          > Usually ships in 24 hours
          > Price: $9.72
          >

          > The Gospel of Philip : Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and the Gnosis of
          > Sacred Union
          >
          > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
          > Avg customer review:
          > Usually ships in 24
          >

          > The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
          >
          > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
          > Avg customer review:
          > Usually ships in 24 hours
          > Price: $9.72
          >
          > Gnostic Gospel Of St. Thomas
          >
          > by Tau Malachi
          > Avg customer review:
          > Usually ships in 24 hours
          > Price: $11.67

          All of Stephan Hoeller's books on Gnosticism, if I may plug my Bishop.
          The Nag Hammadi Library in English ed.by Robinson, The Gnostic Bible and
          the Gnostic scriptures are good too. The Gnostic Paul and The Johanine
          Gospel in Gnostic Exegesis by Pagels, etc. Kurt Rudolph's book on
          Gnosticism is good too. Check out the bookstore at
          <http://www.gnosis.org> for still other titles.

          --
          Mike Leavitt
        • Michael Leavitt
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 10, 2006
            pmcvflag wrote:
            > Hey Darkchylde

            > I applaud your open-mindedness. I do think it is important to
            > understand, though, that the Gnostics were actually quite willing to
            > think of the beliefs of others as "wrong". Now, of course anyone is
            > welcome to disagree with the Gnostics here, but it is also to disagree
            > with the ancient meaning of the very word "Gnosis", since the whole
            > point of that word was to draw a line between what they viewed as a
            > right understanding vs a wrong one.

            > do? Aren't we more enlightened than that?<<
            >
            > How do you logically justify the assumption that enlightenment equates
            > with un-critical acceptance of anything anyone says? I ask that
            > honestly and out of curiousity. Some would argue that if we were
            > enlightened we should accept the notion that WE can be wrong, and toss
            > things out for the sake of debate so that we can really test them (a
            > basic notion of the "Enlightenment Era").
            >
            > The reason I am curious about this is that is all seems so
            > inconsistant with the fact that you also talk about "Truth". If no one
            > can be wrong, then there can be no such thing as "Truth" other than
            > the one truth that no one is wrong. What I mean is, if everyone is
            > already right, then there is simply no need to look any further for
            > not only any kind of scientific "truth", but also for any spiritual
            > truth. It also means, that in thier own world even those who think
            > others are "wrong" are right to do so... and justified in whatever
            > action they take. What, then, would even be the point of questioning
            > the fact that anyone says others are wrong, since they would be right
            > to do so?
            >
            > If all that is true... what is the point of being interested in
            > Gnosticism other than for the sake of personal entertainment?
            >
            > PMCV

            When ever get into an argument, I always remember I might be the one
            who is wrong (perhaps not likely :-)) and that the other guy might be
            right. A little humility never heart anyone, even PMCV. :-)

            --
            Mike Leavitt
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006

              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, eagleeyedwildwoman <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > What books do you all recommend?, I want to read translations the
              > scriptures. I went to my local books store and found these books
              > possibilities:
              >
              > The Gospel of Thomas: The Gnostic Wisdom of Jesus
              >
              > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
              > Avg customer review:
              > Usually ships in 24 hours
              > Price: $9.72
              >

              > The Gospel of Philip : Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and the Gnosis of
              > Sacred Union
              >
              > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
              > Avg customer review:
              > Usually ships in 24
              >

              > The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
              >
              > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
              > Avg customer review:
              > Usually ships in 24 hours
              > Price: $9.72
              >
              > [ . . . ]

              On the one hand, you mention visiting your local bookstore, but you also appear to have pasted the above information from an on-line dealer.  Either way, I'm curious as to how your searches were narrowed down to so many titles by Leloup?

              Here's the thing.  In the past, I haven't minded being critical of various authors and editors on the subject of Gnosticism, but I have generally managed to find something positive to say about all of them, even if their works were not among my favorites.  I have to tell you (and everyone else here) that I have been particularly bothered over recent months by some of the pseudo-scholarship that is becoming increasingly available to the public.  I have even felt that certain instances deserved mentioning here, but the difficulty for me has been in figuring out how to go about basically trashing an author's work without it looking like a libelous attack.  At this point, my attitude is pretty much one of "appearances be damned"—I feel a need to get something off my chest.

              I have promised a number of times to wrap us some thoughts on a discussion on Critical Reading that began several months ago.  My new computer system is on order, so I'll hopefully have both the means and the time to get around to resuming that message thread over the next couple of weeks.  As it was, we looked at the ways in which one passage from a Gnostic text might be rendered by various translators.  Most were good translations, but, depending upon the criteria one might use to evaluate them, some could simply be deemed "better."  Personally, I wondered if it might be helpful to include some other versions that I found to be altogether bad.  And I don't mean that they simply are not my favorites, or that by comparison to certain others they simply weren't as good.  No, I mean BAD.

              Well, now that Leloup's name has been brought up, I have to say that from what I've seen of his work, anyone interested in a serious exploration of Gnosticism would do well to steer clear of that author.  He was, in fact, the worst offender I encountered.  The misrepresentations found in the commentaries of certain of these alleged "experts" in the field are bad enough, but when it comes to downright fabrications in their "translations" that are ostensibly based on the Coptic originals, I find myself left with no respect whatsoever for these individuals.  There's simply no reason for anyone to rely on such unscrupulous sources when one might just as easily choose to become acquainted with the work of reputable scholars.  Even among these genuine scholars, we may continue to question their work and the conclusions they've drawn, but if we limit ourselves to the works peddled by those other folks advocating one conspiracy theory after another, then we may as well be meeting at one of the numerous "Dan Brown" or "Holy Blood" sites that are available (ad nauseam) on the Internet.

              I'll try to jump back into the mix here as soon as I'm able, but as difficult as it is for me to keep my PC running at the moment, I still have some research to do this morning for a couple of friends who have no computer at all.

              Gerry

            • eagleeyedwildwoman
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                Dearest Darkchylde,

                When I wrote my critique on the Da Vinci Code I was giving another
                point of view, my point of view. If you read Plato you will see the
                Greek Intellectuals gathered at places like the Lyceum to debate
                ideas, this was stimulating to the brain function and thought
                processes, it can be described as a Mind Walk. This is why I am
                here. I was expressing my view point, this is all. I am hoping to
                find people to discuss ideas and to have cordial exchange of
                thoughts on the subject of Gnosis and transcendence, not just people
                taking sides but people who really do say something and think things
                through. I hope you will enjoy this type of thought process, where
                it is allowed even encouraged to have a dissenting point of view.
                One question to ask is why you think that way or try to find where
                someone is coming from. By the way, the Gnostics called the
                Literalists Babies or Children as they believed their approach
                towards spirituality to be undeveloped and childish, now would you
                want to debate that? With Love, Aleada

                > Hey Darkchylde

                > I applaud your open-mindedness. I do think it is important to
                > understand, though, that the Gnostics were actually quite willing
                > think of the beliefs of others as "wrong". Now, of course anyone
                is
                > welcome to disagree with the Gnostics here, but it is also to
                disagree
                > with the ancient meaning of the very word "Gnosis", since the
                whole
                > point of that word was to draw a line between what they viewed as
                > right understanding vs a wrong one.

                > do? Aren't we more enlightened than that?<<
                >
                > How do you logically justify the assumption that enlightenment
                equates
                > with un-critical acceptance of anything anyone says? I ask that
                > honestly and out of curiousity. Some would argue that if we were
                > enlightened we should accept the notion that WE can be wrong, and
                toss
                > things out for the sake of debate so that we can really test them
                (a
                > basic notion of the "Enlightenment Era").
                >
                > The reason I am curious about this is that is all seems so
                > inconsistant with the fact that you also talk about "Truth". If no
                one
                > can be wrong, then there can be no such thing as "Truth" other
                than
                > the one truth that no one is wrong. What I mean is, if everyone is
                > already right, then there is simply no need to look any further
                for
                > not only any kind of scientific "truth", but also for any
                spiritual
                > truth. It also means, that in thier own world even those who think
                > others are "wrong" are right to do so... and justified in whatever
                > action they take. What, then, would even be the point of
                questioning
                > the fact that anyone says others are wrong, since they would be
                right
                > to do so?
                >
                > If all that is true... what is the point of being interested in
                > Gnosticism other than for the sake of personal entertainment?
                >
                > PMCV

              • bkimbell98
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                  Gerry,

                  Please list some of the authors you recommend on Gnostic Gospels.

                  Thanks,
                  Barbara

                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > for anyone to rely on such unscrupulous sources when one might
                  just as
                  > easily choose to become acquainted with the work of reputable
                  scholars.
                  > Even among these genuine scholars, we may continue to question
                  their
                  > work and the conclusions they've drawn, but if we limit ourselves
                  > the works peddled by those other folks advocating one conspiracy
                  theory
                  > after another, then we may as well be meeting at one of the
                  numerous
                  > "Dan Brown" or "Holy Blood" sites that are available (ad
                  > nauseam) on the Internet.
                  >
                  > I'll try to jump back into the mix here as soon as I'm able, but
                  > as difficult as it is for me to keep my PC running at the moment, I
                  > still have some research to do this morning for a couple of

                • bkimbell98
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                    The older I get and the more I read, the more I understand that
                    EVERYTHING is based on perception - and it follows that if
                    everything is based on perception, there is no absolute truth. What
                    makes you think the ancient Gnostics had absoulte truth? It seems
                    that if they had, they would have been the victors instead of the
                    orthodox Christian group and the world would be an entirely
                    different place!
                    (I say all this as a point of argument - not as an attack) I see
                    Gnostics as no different than any of those living today who are on a
                    path to enlightenment. As a matter of fact, they had less info,
                    because they did not have as complete an understanding of the world
                    as we do today - we have explored the universe and know that heaven
                    is not tiered - there is no such thing as heaven being 'up there' in
                    the clouds - we have a better understanding of DNA, infection,
                    mental illness, etc. than those who lived 2000 years ago. And yet,
                    we understand so little of the world and the living beings who
                    inhabit it!
                    At best, we are viewing the world as a shadow-play on the walls of a
                    darkened cave - as the ancient parable suggests. We seem to have
                    progressed very little in 2000 years, largely, I believe, because we
                    refused to let go of the idea that the ancients held the secret to
                    knowing God.

                    As Dorothy realized, in the end, that she had the ability all along
                    to get out of Oz, we, also, have the ability to 'see God '- and we,
                    too, have had it all along. It is our misguided beliefs that hold
                    us back.

                    Barbara

                    <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > the one truth that no one is wrong. What I mean is, if everyone
                    is
                    > > already right, then there is simply no need to look any further
                    > for
                    > > not only any kind of scientific "truth", but also for any
                    > spiritual
                    > > truth. It also means, that in thier own world even those who
                    think
                    > > others are "wrong" are right to do so... and justified in
                    whatever
                    > > action they take. What, then, would even be the point of
                    > questioning
                    > > the fact that anyone says others are wrong, since they would be
                    > right
                    > > to do so?
                    > >
                    > > If all that is true... what is the point of being interested in
                    > > Gnosticism other than for the sake of personal entertainment?

                  • eagleeyedwildwoman
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                      Thank you Mike, I want some boks that give interpetations of the
                      Gnostic Gospels, I went to Barnes and Nobel and I tought these books
                      seemed pretty good but it looks like I may be wrong and that's why I
                      asked, I know different interpetations can affect meaning. After
                      going to B & N I looked up the books on Amazon to read more, and
                      then I put them on my wish list, I should of given only the title, ,
                      sorry. I will look up the books you recomended, thanks again. AA

                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...>
                      wrote:

                      > eagleeyedwildwoman wrote:
                      > > What books do you all recommend?, I want to read translations
                      the
                      > > scriptures. I went to my local books store and found these books
                      > > possibilities:
                      > >
                      > > The Gospel of Thomas: The Gnostic Wisdom of Jesus
                      > >
                      > > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
                      > > Avg customer review:
                      > > Usually ships in 24 hours
                      > > Price: $9.72
                      > >

                      > > The Gospel of Philip : Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and the Gnosis of
                      > > Sacred Union
                      > >
                      > > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
                      > > Avg customer review:
                      > > Usually ships in 24
                      > >

                      > > The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
                      > >
                      > > by Jean-Yves Leloup, Jacob Needleman (Foreword)
                      > > Avg customer review:
                      > > Usually ships in 24 hours
                      > > Price: $9.72
                      > >
                      > > Gnostic Gospel Of St. Thomas
                      > >
                      > > by Tau Malachi
                      > > Avg customer review:
                      > > Usually ships in 24 hours
                      > > Price: $11.67
                      > >

                      > All of Stephan Hoeller's books on Gnosticism, if I may plug my
                      Bishop.
                      > The Nag Hammadi Library in English ed.by Robinson, The Gnostic
                      Bible and
                      > the Gnostic scriptures are good too. The Gnostic Paul and The
                      Johanine
                      > Gospel in Gnostic Exegesis by Pagels, etc. Kurt Rudolph's book
                      on
                      > Gnosticism is good too. Check out the bookstore at
                      > <http://www.gnosis.org> for still other titles.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Mike Leavitt

                    • imdarkchylde
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
> [...]
                        > respect whatsoever for these individuals. There's simply no reason
                        > for anyone to rely on such unscrupulous sources when one might just
                        as
                        > easily choose to become acquainted with the work of reputable
                        scholars.
                        > Even among these genuine scholars, we may continue to question their
                        > work and the conclusions they've drawn, but if we limit ourselves to
                        > the works peddled by those other folks advocating one conspiracy
                        theory
                        > after another, then we may as well be meeting at one of the numerous
                        > "Dan Brown" or "Holy Blood" sites that are available (ad
                        > nauseam) on the Internet.
                        >
                        > I'll try to jump back into the mix here as soon as I'm able, but
                        > as difficult as it is for me to keep my PC running at the moment, I
                        > still have some research to do this morning for a couple of friends

                        I must recommend a few books myself. I keep rereading Tau Malachi's
                        Gnosis of the Cosmic Christ. I was given it as a Christmas present,
                        and I messed the cover up and will continue to wear the pages thin
                        with rereading. It deals with Christian Gnostism, but the parallels
                        drawn in from other beliefs are enhanced and even supported by the
                        Kabbala. Much of the more enigmatic aspects of Kabbalistic reasoning
                        and instruction are explained and there is much of practical
                        application for daily life as well. I have read (and different
                        translations still tend to impart the same message) everything from
                        the Hymn of the Pearl (a personal favorite) to the Pistis Sophia.
                        Bert Ehrman has an excellent compilation of texts in his Lost
                        Scriptures, although he draws some conclusions from orthodox and
                        gnostic gospels I don't agree with in Lost Christianities-but his
                        research is good. I believe it does us no good to pigeonhole any
                        translations being "good" or "bad". What you can't get from one
                        translation you may get for another, for there is a reason for all
                        things. I tend to brace when I hear that someone is "wrong" for
                        their belief, interpretation, whatever. Perhaps it would be more
                        enlightened of us to say "different". As I told my parents when I
                        was accused of thinking the cannonized scripture as "incorrect" Not
                        incorrect, I told them, but incomplete.

                        Also, the Sophian Fellowship has wonderful thoughts and quotes from
                        the 'gnostic' texts on their website, as well as a mentoring program
                        I am getting involved in as soon as possible. I too have some
                        technical problems.

                        Love and peas
                        Darkchylde
                      • imdarkchylde
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "bkimbell98" <bkimbell98@...>
                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > the one truth that no one is wrong. What I mean is, if everyone
                          > is
                          > > > already right, then there is simply no need to look any further
                          > > for
                          > > > not only any kind of scientific "truth", but also for any
                          > > spiritual
                          > > > truth. It also means, that in thier own world even those who
                          > think
                          > > > others are "wrong" are right to do so... and justified in
                          > whatever
                          > > > action they take. What, then, would even be the point of
                          > > questioning
                          > > > the fact that anyone says others are wrong, since they would be
                          > > right
                          > > > to do so?
                          > > >
                          > > > If all that is true... what is the point of being interested in
                          > > > Gnosticism other than for the sake of personal entertainment?

                          Barbara
                          Please forgive if I sounded as though I didn't respect your opinion.
                          My heartfelt apologies. I cetainly did not mean that, and I must not
                          have communicated what I meant. When I am working with a horse I
                          know the horse technically doesn't do wrong- he (or she) is acting on
                          instinct and impulse and I inadvertantly triggered a response that is
                          detrimental to the training process. WHereas the horse would not be
                          considered wrong, I, as the human, being more enlightened and I AM
                          the one bothering him in the first place (they don't come in my
                          living room and run me off the couch on a whim to go for a run)I can
                          be wrong in that I would give into frustration and anger and
                          aggression and abuse an animal that wouldn't be doing anything but
                          grazing if it wasn't for me anyway. So instead I realise that the
                          horse is only being a horse and it is I who must evolve to get the
                          responce I seek. Those who do not understand there is no need for
                          fear and dominance and superiority would be drawn to religions that
                          promote such ideas. I feel gnostics rise above those tendencies (or
                          should) in order that there path make way for a spiritual
                          transformation that should be ever evolving and growing that becomes
                          apparent in their everday lives and with every person they meet and
                          every choice they make. Then they are like the good horse whisperer
                          that knows the animal he is working with is not on lis level of
                          rational or intellect, yet this is not from superiority or judgement
                          but rather by respect for the parameters that animal can function
                          in. Those who are not in "the know" are simply not there because
                          they are still burdened by superior thinking and judgement.
                          Rally, I beg forgiveness at any offense I gave.
                          Love and peas forever
                          Darkchylde

                          PMCV
                          So much to reply to. I do not see it as an attack (although it seems
                          my opinion might have been taken as one.) As a gnostic I avoid
                          anything that smacks of domination, and I believe the only absolute
                          truth is that we are all in this together. Have a problem with
                          dissention? Quite the contrary, my point is that we cannot judge
                          anothers beliefs to be wrong. That hardly sounds like there is no
                          room for dissention. And I do believe(this doesn't make it truth,
                          albeit MY truth) that enlightment will not come if there is not a
                          tolerance for ALL beliefs and faiths. I can only speak from my
                          person experience, but I have searched many faiths, and even put my
                          name to a few of them, and my present evolution has led me to
                          gnostism. I worshiped the Gad and the Goddess as a wiccan, and I now
                          understand that I was not 'wrong' but incomplete with my awareness
                          and knowledge now. And I might point out gnosis means knowledge, and
                          that can take many forms and have many names but you will know it to
                          be the truth when you FEEL it, as I do. Christ never told anyone
                          they were wrong, yet he imparted a belief that I believe brought
                          people around because of that fact. Perhaps you miss the point with
                          so much polartization and judgement on what is "wrong" and what
                          is "right". I do not even believe that you are wrong for casting
                          judgement. I do not believe I am right in my views that no jugement
                          should be cast. But I will remind that to dominate, to make oneslef
                          superior for what is believed or not is the very urges I seek to
                          eliminate on my effort to expand the Christ consciouness within me.
                          I was unaware that Gnosis meant "right" anything. I was under the
                          impression it meant knowledge and didn't make such constrictive and
                          human confines on ideas that extend beyond the physical realm.
                          Uncritical acceptance is not what I have for the traditions of
                          others, but rather a healthy respect and the true spirit of
                          compassion and acceptance for anyone - which cannot exist in my heart
                          while I harbor judgemnt and critism. I have enjoyed the postings by
                          Tau Malachi and have read the work of Bishop Hoeller on their
                          thoughts on Sufism, Islam and the like and never once was there a
                          judgement or accusation of the belief as wrong. And to think that I
                          excuse all behavior because I refuse to think another is wrong shows
                          you have made judgments on my rationallizing that are incomplete, as
                          you do not know me very well. If as a gnostic I seek to elimiate
                          cosmic ignorance then I would do well to steer away from judgements
                          or condemnations. My heart, which I have learned to listen to, tells
                          me that my head is right.
                          I do find it much more interesting with different points of view.
                          After all, aren't we just individual flames of a larger fire?
                          Love and peas and compassion
                          Darkchylde
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                            Barbara

                            >>>What makes you think the ancient Gnostics had absoulte truth? It
                            seems that if they had, they would have been the victors instead of
                            the orthodox Christian group and the world would be an entirely
                            different place!<<<

                            It is not my intent to state whether the Gnostics HAD the absolute
                            truth. You misunderstand my point there, Barbara. My point is that
                            the Gnostics of old BELIEVED there is an absolute truth (even if
                            sometimes they admitted that they didn't completely have it, they
                            believed it was there all the same). How do I know they believed
                            that? Because they tell us over and over that it is core to the very
                            function of thier system.

                            No one here can completely refute the notion of absolute relativism,
                            nor can they refute the notion of absolute truth. It is not my place
                            or intent to convince you either way, I am not here to be a
                            spiritual guru. That is a question you have to answer for yourself,
                            and let others answer for themselves. Instead we are simply here to
                            try and see how the Gnostics looked at the situation so that we can
                            understand what they believed accurately before we either agree or
                            disagree with them. After that it is your own business. And heck, in
                            the process of understanding them, they may even make us think about
                            it and help us define our own thinking a bit better.... even if we
                            disagree with them.

                            Now, if you wish to talk about it on a more philosophical level,
                            then we need not even drag the Gnostics into it... but then we
                            wouldn't really be talking about the focus of this group (which is
                            Gnosticism). However, talking about it that way would require some
                            smoothing out of what appears to be some serious core
                            inconsistancies in your points (or at least the way you communicated
                            those points). Not to say you are right or wrong, just that you seem
                            to be hopping over the fence and making points for both sides
                            without seeming to realize it. Or maybe you do realize and you are
                            just trying to confuse poor ol' befuddled minds like mine ;)

                            PMCV
                          • bkimbell98
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                              PMCV

                              I agree that it is facinating to try to understand what the Gnostics
                              of old thought - but understanding at the same time, that this was
                              not a homgeneous group, by any stretch. I do think it's very
                              curious that there were so many different groups of Christian
                              communities in the first few hundred years with so many disparate
                              views. There was much controversy. How could it be that Jesus left
                              so many different impressions among his followers? Surely what he
                              was teaching had a hidden meaning - some 'got it' or thought they
                              did and others took his teachings literally, interpreting it as best
                              they could... on and on throughout the millennia.

                              My whole point is this - it can only be informed speculation on our
                              part. Somewhere else in this website, someone made the comment that
                              personal experience is also necessary - not just special knoweldge
                              or understanding. That is the point I am trying to make (although
                              not clearly, as you point out). The only thing about which we can
                              be sure is our own personal experience. We can then interpret the
                              books in that light.

                              Barbara

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                                Hey Darkchylde

                                >>>When I am working with a horse I know the horse technically
                                doesn't do wrong- he (or she) is acting on instinct and impulse and
                                I inadvertantly triggered a response that is detrimental to the
                                training process. WHereas the horse would not be considered wrong,
                                I, as the human, being more enlightened and I AM
                                the one bothering him in the first place (they don't come in my
                                living room and run me off the couch on a whim to go for a run)I can
                                be wrong in that I would give into frustration and anger and
                                aggression and abuse an animal that wouldn't be doing anything but
                                grazing if it wasn't for me anyway.<<<

                                I like that picture you paint. It allows for openness towards
                                other's beliefs without stating that we must throw out critical
                                perspective in the mix.

                                >>>So much to reply to. I do not see it as an attack (although it
                                seems my opinion might have been taken as one.)<<<

                                Don't worry, Darkchylde, most of us in this group actually respect
                                and enjoy a little bit of a friendly challenge ;) . Honestly, you
                                don't need to apologize. We test ideas and debate as friends here.
                                Not everyone is able to do that, and when they find this to be a
                                threat they write us off as "silly academics". You are welcome to
                                question my ideas, but expect me to question in return. Keep in mind
                                that this should always be brought back to the subject at hand....
                                not just our personal views (that rule applies to me as well).

                                >>>As a gnostic I avoid anything that smacks of domination, and I
                                believe the only absolute truth is that we are all in this
                                together.<<<

                                Very understandable, though I would question whether it is
                                indicative of being a Gnostic. Of course, the Gnostic was a rebel
                                against temporal authority, Yaldebaoth and maybe even the Roman
                                occupation, but on the other hand the Gnostic also believed in a
                                rightful cosmic order. Personally, I probably still have some of
                                that punk rock anarchism in me from my youth, but it would not be
                                right of me to foist that on to historical Gnostic thinking.

                                >>>Have a problem with dissention? Quite the contrary, my point is
                                that we cannot judge anothers beliefs to be wrong. That hardly
                                sounds like there is no room for dissention. And I do believe(this
                                doesn't make it truth, albeit MY truth) that enlightment will not
                                come if there is not a tolerance for ALL beliefs and faiths.<<<

                                I can certainly sympathize, but I am not so sure the Gnostics would.
                                Think about it another way, Yaldebaoth can be seen as an allegory
                                for the those very religions you say we should respect (and I
                                generally feel ambivalent for). In fact, that is actually partly
                                what his function is. It becomes very clear in the Gospel of Judas
                                that the Demiurge is intended as an attack on religious faith. This
                                is not what we can call tolerance of all beliefs and faiths, but
                                just the opposite... it is a rejection of blind faith and poorly
                                thought beliefs.

                                Now, I am not saying the Gnostics must be right about this. Once
                                again, that is for people figure out on their own. What I AM saying
                                is that no one can say that the Gnostics were particularly
                                relativist.

                                >>>I can only speak from my person experience, but I have searched
                                many faiths, and even put my name to a few of them, and my present
                                evolution has led me to gnostism.<<<

                                I'm sure nearly everyone here can sympathise with the growth process.

                                >>>And I might point out gnosis means knowledge, and that can take
                                many forms and have many names but you will know it to
                                be the truth when you FEEL it, as I do.<<<

                                Well, actually that isn't really an accurate meaning for the
                                word "Gnosis" as the Gnostics used it. This is a subject this forum
                                does tend to revisit pretty often.

                                >>>Christ never told anyone they were wrong, yet he imparted a
                                belief that I believe brought people around because of that fact.<<<

                                I guess that depends on who's version we are reading. ;) In the
                                Bible the "Christ" is quite direct in calling people hypocrites,
                                etc.. However, we don't have to take the Bible seriously here if we
                                don't want. There is no assumption of scriptural validity here.

                                >>>Perhaps you miss the point with so much polartization and
                                judgement on what is "wrong" and what is "right". I do not even
                                believe that you are wrong for casting judgement.<<<

                                I didn't cast any judgement, Darkchylde. I am simply trying to
                                present a historically acurate understanding of the Gnostic belief
                                system so people can think and talk about about them in an informed
                                way. Please don't assume that I am some kind of missionary for that
                                position.

                                >>>But I will remind that to dominate, to make oneslef superior for
                                what is believed or not is the very urges I seek to eliminate on my
                                effort to expand the Christ consciouness within me.<<<

                                No one is trying to dominate here, Darkchylde. This forum deals with
                                historical forms of Gnosticism, and all we want to do is make sure
                                that it is understood.... not agreed with.

                                impression it meant knowledge and didn't make such constrictive and
                                human confines on ideas that extend beyond the physical realm.<<<

                                Like I mentioned above, we do try to stick with the historical
                                Gnostic meaning of the word "Gnosis" in this group.... for the sake
                                of communication. I think you will find that Gnostic ideas were very
                                open in many ways that many people find very interesting today, but
                                maybe not in the ways that many would LIKE them to be open.

                                >>>Uncritical acceptance is not what I have for the traditions of
                                others, but rather a healthy respect and the true spirit of
                                compassion and acceptance for anyone - which cannot exist in my heart
                                while I harbor judgemnt and critism.<<<<

                                Respect and tolerence is not the same as agreement. Glad you pointed
                                that out.

                                >>>And to think that I excuse all behavior because I refuse to think
                                another is wrong shows you have made judgments on my rationallizing
                                that are incomplete, as you do not know me very well.<<<

                                Hmmmmm, maybe you are right. However, on what grounds do you NOT
                                excuse a behavior? How can you say something is not ok if you can't
                                say it is wrong? What is the arbitrary difference you assign?

                                >>>If as a gnostic I seek to elimiate cosmic ignorance then I would
                                do well to steer away from judgements or condemnations. My heart,
                                which I have learned to listen to, tells me that my head is right.<<<

                                You needn't defend your heart here (the head may be something a bit
                                more testable), thit is your own. Honestly, it simply isn't the
                                point of this forum. What we are talking about is Gnosticism.

                                >>>I do find it much more interesting with different points of view.
                                After all, aren't we just individual flames of a larger fire?<<<

                                I find various views interesting as well. After all, without the
                                challenge I would not have been able to test my own views. Sometimes
                                I have been wrong (yes, I can say "wrong"), but I think the trick
                                has been to accept that with humility rather than saying nobody can
                                be wrong therefore I must be right (Thanks Mike.... I think *lol*).

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                                  Hey Barbara

                                  >>>I agree that it is facinating to try to understand what the
                                  Gnostics of old thought - but understanding at the same time, that
                                  this was not a homgeneous group, by any stretch.<<<

                                  Very true, and VERY good point. There are important differences we
                                  really need to try and keep in mind. However, there are also things
                                  that tie these groups together. When I attempt to outline systems of
                                  Gnosticism I try to do my best and say things like "this is a
                                  Sethian version" or "this is Valentinian" when they do differ. On
                                  the other hand, there are important things that draw these groups
                                  into a single category, and I think we should not foget that either.

                                  >>>I do think it's very curious that there were so many different
                                  groups of Christian communities in the first few hundred years with
                                  so many disparate views. There was much controversy.<<<

                                  I agree absolutely! In fact, it is the study of Gnosticism that has
                                  really brought this realization to the academic community at large.
                                  However, it doesn't only apply to Gnostic groups. There were many
                                  non-Gnostic Christian groups as well. I don't find it curious in
                                  that I don't think there was as much of a genuine "system" from the
                                  very beginning. There is something called the "Eusebian Paradigm"
                                  that says there was one original church. Scholars today generally
                                  reject this "Eusebian Paradigm" because it just doesn't work with
                                  the historical info we have right now.

                                  >>>How could it be that Jesus left so many different impressions
                                  among his followers? Surely what he was teaching had a hidden
                                  meaning - some 'got it' or thought they did and others took his
                                  teachings literally, interpreting it as best they could... on and on
                                  throughout the millennia.<<<

                                  Well, outside the question of whether Jesus ever actually
                                  historically existed, I think it actually makes sense. The info we
                                  have shows even the very first generation of Christians looking at
                                  this message in many different ways. This is common for purely oral
                                  teaching.

                                  >>>My whole point is this - it can only be informed speculation on
                                  our part.<<<

                                  True. However, isn't informed speculation at least a little better
                                  than uninformed speculation? What I find so common today is that
                                  many people talking about "Gnosticism" do so in an uninformed way.
                                  It is not about whether I am right or wrong, I have learned from
                                  people less technically educated on the subject and I admit it up
                                  front. But, instead it is about whether somebody has simply really
                                  taken the time to stop and think about it critically rather than
                                  just trying to make the "Gnostics" fit thier own preconcieved idea.

                                  personal experience is also necessary - not just special knoweldge
                                  or understanding.<<<

                                  I have made that point myself. HOWEVER, I have also found myself
                                  having to make the point that it is NOT JUST personal experience
                                  either. BOTH must be there. Failure on EITHER side is failure to
                                  gain Gnosis (at least according to the historical meaning we see in
                                  the texts). There had been a common attempt today to equate "Gnosis"
                                  with personal experience, and that simply is not what the word meant
                                  in the Gnostic texts.

                                  >>>That is the point I am trying to make (although not clearly, as
                                  you point out). The only thing about which we can be sure is our own
                                  personal experience. We can then interpret the books in that
                                  light.<<<

                                  So you don't believe in the notion of the "Logos"? Does that mean
                                  you don't think the Sophia ever "fell"?

                                  PMCV
                                • eagleeyedwildwoman
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                                    Darkchylde, I Never said certin Christians were wrong in my first
                                    post on this line. I was expressing a point of view that we all have
                                    God in our DNA and that having the blood line of Jesus was, again in
                                    my opinion, of no consequence nor should it be. Also, I want to
                                    stress that the quest for Gnosis should be an individual matter with
                                    teachers along the way; but ultimately between you and God. If you
                                    read what I wrote this is it, so why the discussion about that I
                                    said someone was wrong? Unless we are continuing an argument from
                                    another group? Also consider dear Gnostics, that just because some
                                    in a certain Royal line in Europe claim heredity to Jesus does not
                                    make it so. It's a claim made by wealthy people that helps justify
                                    their leadership, also something to consider. I really don't want to
                                    be jumped all over when I try to make a point so please really
                                    consider what I write and don't read other things into it and I will
                                    try to do the same for you.

                                    Quietly, Aleada

                                    Hi I'm new here
                                    Looks like I'm come across an intelligent group of thinkers. I know
                                    I'm going to be a bit behind the times with this comment but perhaps
                                    I have something different to say on the subject so, here goes: I
                                    finally saw The Da Vinci Code at the movies Wednesday night. I will
                                    not give a movie review. I did not read the book. I do like that
                                    this movie and book get people interested in the alternative
                                    scriptures and therefore Gnostic thinking. But the idea of this
                                    woman descendant of Mary Magdalene and Jesus being the Holy Grail
                                    becomes a road block to Gnosis which is a direct knowledge of God.
                                    It is also a problem in the Omen which I know is pure fun but
                                    unfortunately is what many people believe, that is the idea of the
                                    big characters playing these big roles while we sit back a watch.
                                    Many people do not realize they are the Hero of their own story and
                                    have a direct connection to God or the Great Spirit. Our path is to
                                    realize that connection and have direct experience of this.
                                    Realization with direct experience of the Divine is Enlightenment or
                                    Gnosis and it may be so individual that it is experienced or related
                                    differently for each of us. Gnosis is an on going process, it is the
                                    road traveled ever onward. Leader or teacher come into our life and
                                    will help us on our way but it is we who decides and we who exert
                                    the effort, I mean to say don't rely on the way showers, it is your
                                    journey and all you really need is you. The blood line of Jesus was
                                    said to be part of the royal family of the Hapsburgs, who's line
                                    runs through most of the royal houses of Europe, this is another
                                    form of Hierarchy which is anti Gnostic thinking. I see little
                                    evidence of Jesus in the royal lines. I see more evidence among the
                                    rich about power, selfishness, and oppression. I see evidence of
                                    his teachings among those who relinquish power in favor of helping
                                    humanity. Sacred words from my own countries constitution say, All
                                    men are created equal and endowed by the Creator with unalienable
                                    rights of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. I believe
                                    Eve, our original Earth Mother chose Gnosis over obedience and
                                    opened the door for Men to become Gods which was the Creators test
                                    of our capacity to make our own way. We too become Gods and create
                                    our own Universes as Great Spirit wills it so, ever onward. Yes
                                    Barbara I too have visions and as the veil gets thinner it seems
                                    more of us are doing so. Some of the visions I have had are not all
                                    light and gold some are about being stripped naked of all beliefs
                                    and ego, some were harsh from where I have sat but I am thankful for
                                    all revelation which aids my souls growth. I am working each day to
                                    simplify my soul and be open to the purest gold the soul has to
                                    offer, Gnosis.

                                    In Peace,
                                    Your Sister,
                                    Aleada Barbara Aine

> [...]
                                    > do well to steer away from judgements or condemnations. My heart,
                                    > which I have learned to listen to, tells me that my head is
                                    right.<<<

                                    > You needn't defend your heart here (the head may be something a
                                    bit
                                    > more testable), thit is your own. Honestly, it simply isn't the
                                    > point of this forum. What we are talking about is Gnosticism.

                                    > After all, aren't we just individual flames of a larger fire?<<<
                                    >
                                    > I find various views interesting as well. After all, without the
                                    > challenge I would not have been able to test my own views.
                                    Sometimes
                                    > I have been wrong (yes, I can say "wrong"), but I think the trick
                                    > has been to accept that with humility rather than saying nobody
                                    can
                                    > be wrong therefore I must be right (Thanks Mike.... I think *lol*).

                                  • imdarkchylde
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006

> [...]
                                      > say it is wrong? What is the arbitrary difference you assign?

                                      > do well to steer away from judgements or condemnations. My heart,
                                      > which I have learned to listen to, tells me that my head is
                                      right.<<<

                                      > You needn't defend your heart here (the head may be something a bit
                                      > more testable), thit is your own. Honestly, it simply isn't the
                                      > point of this forum. What we are talking about is Gnosticism.

                                      > After all, aren't we just individual flames of a larger fire?<<<
                                      >
                                      > I find various views interesting as well. After all, without the
                                      > challenge I would not have been able to test my own views.
                                      Sometimes
                                      > I have been wrong (yes, I can say "wrong"), but I think the trick
                                      > has been to accept that with humility rather than saying nobody can
                                      > be wrong therefore I must be right (Thanks Mike.... I think *lol*).

                                      First I would like to respond to our earlier exchange where the
                                      statement was made about why to get into gnostism. Well, I didn't
                                      get into it for entertainment but I didn't get into it so I could be
                                      right and everyone else be wrong. I could have stuck with most
                                      orthodox beliefs had that been my motivation. I also feel that since
                                      my beliefs are considered heresy by many in mainstream Christianity,
                                      that to be intolerate towards another's beliefs is to go against one
                                      of the main attractions that gnostism had for me, which is the
                                      freedom to interpret as I wish. And do not get hung up on the fact
                                      that I do not see a difference in what is good and what is evil. But
                                      to judge and condemn and critize, reguardless of justification, would
                                      I think expose one's cosmic ignorance, and align one to dark forces.
                                      You made an excellent point about Yeshua pointing out to the
                                      Pharisees and their hypocrisy, or his reaction to the temple
                                      merchants. Still, this showed thier ignorance, and Christ didn't
                                      tell the woman caught in adultry she was wrong. He also never told
                                      anyone that they were wrong that I could find, and he kept a careful
                                      balance of severity and mercy, the Middle Pillar concept of the
                                      Kabala if you will, and rather than telling people they were wrong he
                                      told them how to be right. As far as historical accuracy goes, we
                                      seem to rewrite history on a daily basis as new evidence come to
                                      light so I would warn against being to ridgid in what is believed to
                                      be accurate, because what is seen as historically accurate now may be
                                      seen to be inaccurate in the light of some future evidence. I
                                      believe the gnostic perspective to be a bit more far reaching, even
                                      with the ancients, as there were many factions then with differing
                                      views and opinions that perhaps didn't jive on one plae but when all
                                      are boiled down they come to the some conclusions. I am a Valentinian
                                      myself, but there is much diversity out there and I for one
                                      wholeheartedly embrace that. And I do not defend my heart or head,
                                      and as you pointed out the forum is on Gnostism and my heart and my
                                      head are gnostic so I believe I can include them in my discussion.
                                      You ask how I can say something is not okay if I can't say it is
                                      wrong. I do feel there are many things that are not "okay", such as
                                      killing, domination, and the like but I assign no difference,
                                      arbitrary or otherwise, that would make me jugde another because they
                                      do not think as I do. The Cathars were quite tolerant and were wiped
                                      out by a dominating presence that was not tolerant. When you truly
                                      are superior in your thinking, then like Christ you won't need to
                                      feel as you are superior and you would not communicate this
                                      superiority to others. The need to feel superior dissentegrates when
                                      your reasoning rises above it. Perhaps there are others who have
                                      differnet ideas on what should be expressed in this forum. And what
                                      you consider to be historically accurate might not be considered
                                      historically accurate and it not be, hmm, wrong.

                                      Love and peas
                                      Darkchylde
                                    • GP
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 11, 2006
                                        Hello,

                                        I'm not really new to Gnosticism. But I am struggling lately with some more or less obvious problems that I'm sure others of you have run into. I am wondering how you dealt with them.

                                        First, I realize that unlike Sophia, I don't know where I belong but I'm pretty sure it isn't "here." So, how do you find out where you belong? Do you wait until grace is offered from another plane much as Christ offered grace to Sophia because she prayed so fervently?

                                        Second, it has occurred to me that perhaps this IS where I belong despite my dissatisfaction with where I am. I long for something more free -- less burdened by the heaviness of the physical, but is that really an indication that I belong somewhere else? Perhaps I could be of the world but not in it (as some religious groups advise) and simply be of service to what seems best in this Malcut of a place (sorry for the place name dropping!)

                                        Finally, I ain't no intellectual. Most of what I know is um....empirical or has been taught me orally or by demonstration. How important is book learning to the pursuit of understanding ourselves? (I can't think how to phrase this without it sounding um....smartalecy.....not meant in that way!) I read lots but retain little from books. Thanks for your responses.

                                        GP

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                                      • Thomas Leavitt
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 12, 2006
                                          I really like Bentley Layton's translations.

                                          http://www.yale.edu/religiousstudies/facultypages/cvbl.html

                                          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385478437/103-1005991-0341427?v=glance&n=283155

                                          Thomas

                                          --
                                          Thomas Leavitt <thomas@...> - 831-295-3917
                                          Godmoma's Forge, LLC - www.godmomasforge.com

                                          Encrypted public key at http://www.thomasleavitt.org/thomas.asc

                                          Download GnuPG (including for Windows) at
                                          http://www.gnupg.org/download/ to read .asc attachment (encrypted signature)
                                        • bkimbell98
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 13, 2006
                                            "So you don't believe in the notion of the "Logos"? Does that mean
                                            you don't think the Sophia ever "fell"?"

                                            I do believe in Logos and I do believe in the myth of Sophia. If
                                            that were not true, we'd not be searching for meaning in life,
                                            knowing that this physical world is not our true home. The problem
                                            is how to get back to paradise. Another problem is that 90% or
                                            greater of earth's population doesn't even question this human
                                            dilemma.

                                            I have often contemplated whether some of these 2000 year old
                                            writings are descriptions of personal mystical experience, which
                                            these individuals interpreted (rightly or wrongly, just as we do)
                                            based upon their own personal experience in a world of Roman
                                            occupation, Jewish law, poverty, etc. One also has to think about
                                            the fact that Jesus, if he was actually one person (as you point
                                            out), and his initial followers may have been illiterate - and all
                                            that is written is oral tradition changed a thousand times and
                                            passed through several generations before it was written by persons
                                            who never had 'gnosis'. And it certainly was used by the Roman
                                            empire for control of its population - it was then that it seemed to
                                            take on more and more pagan/mystery religion ideas and ritual - so
                                            it was more easily incorporated into Roman society. And gnosis got
                                            forgotten in the process . Sophia seems forever doomed!

                                            Although this type of forum is great to discuss ideas, it also is
                                            difficult to get ideas across!

                                            Thanks for your comments.

                                            Barbara

> [...]
                                            > or understanding.<<<
                                            >
                                            > I have made that point myself. HOWEVER, I have also found myself
                                            > having to make the point that it is NOT JUST personal experience
                                            > either. BOTH must be there. Failure on EITHER side is failure to
                                            > gain Gnosis (at least according to the historical meaning we see
                                            in
                                            > the texts). There had been a common attempt today to
                                            equate "Gnosis"
                                            > with personal experience, and that simply is not what the word
                                            meant
                                            > in the Gnostic texts.

                                            > you point out). The only thing about which we can be sure is our
                                            own
                                            > personal experience. We can then interpret the books in that
                                            > light.<<<
                                            >
                                            > So you don't believe in the notion of the "Logos"? Does that mean

                                          • Michael Leavitt
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 13, 2006
                                              bkimbell98 wrote:
                                              > "So you don't believe in the notion of the "Logos"? Does that mean
                                              > you don't think the Sophia ever "fell"?"
                                              >
                                              > I do believe in Logos and I do believe in the myth of Sophia. If
                                              > that were not true, we'd not be searching for meaning in life,
                                              > knowing that this physical world is not our true home. The problem
                                              > is how to get back to paradise. Another problem is that 90% or
                                              > greater of earth's population doesn't even question this human
                                              > dilemma.
                                              >
                                              > I have often contemplated whether some of these 2000 year old
                                              > writings are descriptions of personal mystical experience, which
                                              > these individuals interpreted (rightly or wrongly, just as we do)
                                              > based upon their own personal experience in a world of Roman
                                              > occupation, Jewish law, poverty, etc. One also has to think about
                                              > the fact that Jesus, if he was actually one person (as you point
                                              > out), and his initial followers may have been illiterate - and all
                                              > that is written is oral tradition changed a thousand times and
                                              > passed through several generations before it was written by persons
                                              > who never had 'gnosis'. And it certainly was used by the Roman
                                              > empire for control of its population - it was then that it seemed to
                                              > take on more and more pagan/mystery religion ideas and ritual - so
                                              > it was more easily incorporated into Roman society. And gnosis got
                                              > forgotten in the process . Sophia seems forever doomed!
                                              >
                                              > Although this type of forum is great to discuss ideas, it also is
                                              > difficult to get ideas across!
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for your comments.
                                              >
                                              > Barbara

                                              Clear as a bell.

                                              --
                                              Mike Leavitt
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 13, 2006
                                                Hey Barbara

                                                >>>I do believe in Logos and I do believe in the myth of Sophia. If
                                                that were not true, we'd not be searching for meaning in life,
                                                knowing that this physical world is not our true home. The problem
                                                is how to get back to paradise. Another problem is that 90% or
                                                greater of earth's population doesn't even question this human
                                                dilemma.<<<<

                                                I think you are right. However, I would also point out that without
                                                the ability to state the possibility that something is "wrong" we
                                                throw out the allegorical function of the Logos. This is why I
                                                thought perhaps you were against the notion. Gnostics never cared
                                                about "paradise", it was not the point of their notions of
                                                salvation. That is an idea connected to the religion of the very
                                                same common folk you just mentioned in a negative way.

                                                writings are descriptions of personal mystical experience, which
                                                these individuals interpreted (rightly or wrongly, just as we do)
                                                based upon their own personal experience in a world of Roman
                                                occupation, Jewish law, poverty, etc.<<<

                                                I really like the fact that you point out the interpative aspect of
                                                the mystical expeirence. Many people today deny such a thing exists
                                                while presenting the opposite view that everything is about personal
                                                experience. Whether or not I feel you have presented an over all
                                                consistant point, I have to give you kudos for doing so in this
                                                particular area. If everything is personal interpretation, then so
                                                too must be the mystical experience.

                                                However, in the end we have to remember that whether or not WE feel
                                                this way, the Gnostics of old did not. The function of the Logos in
                                                the liturature is pretty clearly presented as an external and
                                                objective force.

                                                The notion of objective and empirical truth vs falsehood is so
                                                deeply core to historical Gnosticism, that it is possible to
                                                genuinely say that modern relativism is anti-Gnostic on this front.
                                                To say that there can be no wrong, is to say that one does not agree
                                                with the myth of the Logos and the fall of Sophia. Now I am not
                                                saying THAT is right or wrong, just that it is a disagreement with
                                                the historical Gnostics.

                                                >>>One also has to think about the fact that Jesus, if he was
                                                actually one person (as you point out), and his initial followers
                                                may have been illiterate - and all that is written is oral tradition
                                                changed a thousand times and passed through several generations
                                                before it was written by persons who never had 'gnosis'. And it
                                                certainly was used by the Roman empire for control of its
                                                population - it was then that it seemed to take on more and more
                                                pagan/mystery religion ideas and ritual - so it was more easily
                                                incorporated into Roman society. And gnosis got forgotten in the
                                                process . Sophia seems forever doomed!<<<

                                                If we can't say something is right or wrong, we can't say if anyone
                                                genuinely had "Gnosis". I absolutely think the point
                                                that "Christian" beliefs became a tool for political aims is an
                                                historical fact, but I have to disagree that this is when "Pagan"
                                                (and I hate the word because it is already creating historical
                                                confusion) Mystery elements came into play. In fact, I can
                                                historically demonstrate otherwise if you are interested in the
                                                subject. Texts like Thomas demonstrate Mystery elements, Paul has
                                                Mystery elements, and if we accept Secret Mark then even the oldest
                                                existing Gospel has mystery elements. Jewish sources contemporary
                                                with Jesus demonstrate a Mystery element being introduced into
                                                Judism in opposition to Roman occupation. There is some reason to
                                                argue that perhaps from the very beginning, with Jesus himself (and
                                                even before Jesus, with John) there were some Mystery elements. I
                                                think it is important to consider that this may not have been a
                                                later addition.

                                                I would also say that it is not Sophia that has been left behind in
                                                recent thinking, but the Logos. Sure, the name of the Logos has been
                                                used more often, but the allegorical function of the Logos is far
                                                more lost.

                                                >>>Although this type of forum is great to discuss ideas, it also is
                                                difficult to get ideas across!<<<<

                                                Very true. However, anyone who is going to be part of a group
                                                dealing with Gnosticism, whether from an academic perspective or
                                                from an emic perspective, should be willing to put in the work...
                                                don't you think?

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 14, 2006
                                                  --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, GP <swtmeadow@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hello,
                                                  >
                                                  > I'm not really new to Gnosticism. But I am struggling lately with
                                                  some more or less obvious problems that I'm sure others of you have
                                                  >run into. I am wondering how you dealt with them.

                                                  Hello, GP. I've been thinking about your questions, and I'll just
                                                  offer a few ideas to kick around or throw out, whatever you decide.
                                                  These are purely personal reflections of mine.

                                                  > First, I realize that unlike Sophia, I don't know where I belong
                                                  but I'm pretty sure it isn't "here." So, how do you find out where
                                                  you belong? Do you wait until grace is offered from another plane
                                                  much as Christ offered grace to Sophia because she prayed so
                                                  fervently?

                                                  > Second, it has occurred to me that perhaps this IS where I belong
                                                  despite my dissatisfaction with where I am. I long for something more
                                                  free -- less burdened by the heaviness of the physical, but is that
                                                  really an indication that I belong somewhere else? Perhaps I could be
                                                  of the world but not in it (as some religious groups advise) and
                                                  simply be of service to what seems best in this Malcut of a place
                                                  (sorry for the place name dropping!)<<

                                                  Or you could be in this world but not of it... The Gnostics did
                                                  recognize the material world as real, even if corruptible. And
                                                  that's where we all function right now. As far as "another
                                                  plane,"... do you like to obediently "wait," GP? Does prayer have
                                                  meaning for you? IOW, you need to be honest with yourself and
                                                  continue to learn to know yourself.

                                                  Saying 3 from The Gospel of Thomas says, "If those who lead you
                                                  (plur.) say to you, `See, the kingdom is in heaven,' then the birds
                                                  of heaven will precede you. If they say to you, `It is the sea,'
                                                  then the fish will precede you. But the kingdom is inside you of
                                                  you. And it is outside of you."

                                                  Also, from Saying 6, "His disciples questioned him and said to
                                                  him, `Do you want us to fast? And how shall we pray? Shall we give
                                                  alms? And what kind of diet shall we follow?' Jesus said, `Do not
                                                  lie, and do not do what you hate. For all things are disclosed
                                                  before heaven. For there is nothing obscure that will not be shown
                                                  forth, and there is nothing covered that will remain without being
                                                  disclosed.'"

                                                  > Finally, I ain't no intellectual. Most of what I know is
                                                  um....empirical or has been taught me orally or by demonstration. How
                                                  important is book learning to the pursuit of understanding ourselves?
                                                  (I can't think how to phrase this without it sounding
                                                  um....smartalecy.....not meant in that way!) I read lots but retain
                                                  little from books. Thanks for your responses.

                                                  > GP

                                                  GP, I'm thinking it might not be about being "intellectual" so much
                                                  as that we all have different learning styles. If you're retaining
                                                  little from reading books, have you considered making audiotapes of
                                                  selected writings and listening to them? No matter how you "read"
                                                  them, have you taken that empirical knowledge and those oral
                                                  teachings you speak of and knocked them around against ideas from the
                                                  ancient Gnostics or modern authors who talk about them? I find that
                                                  getting involved and critically comparing to my own experience helps
                                                  make the reading meaningful. And there are also times when I'm just
                                                  swept up by the poetry of it all.

                                                  In any case, our group is always available to discuss these readings
                                                  if that is of any help to you. Maybe other members have further
                                                  helpful ideas or suggestions.