Re: spiritual experiences

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2006
      Hey Barbara, welcome to the group.

      >>>I am new to this post,and have not yet had the time to review
      others who have had any kind of religious or ecstatic experience. I
      am interested in comparing notes. Mine occurred a little more than
      8 years ago and since then I have been "devouring" all kinds of
      reading material concerning gnosis, out of body experiences, and
      spirituality. My travels have taken me through all types of
      Christianity (my Catholic upbrining), through the Bahgavad Gita, The
      Course in Miracles, The Urantia Book, Bishop Spong, Bart Erhman's
      books, Robert Monroe's tapes, The Gospel of the Essenes, The Four
      Agreements, Edgar Casey readings, Reiki training, Merkaba training,
      all types of conspiracy theories, as well as alien theories... the
      list could go on and on.<<<

      You will find many people here who have had various mystical
      experiences. You will also find that many here have had long and
      wide ranging journies that have touched on many sources. However,
      this particular forum deal only with traditional Gnosticism. For a
      group with a wider focus that deals largely with many of the very
      same influences you list, you may be interesting in the following
      group...

      >>>Obviously, some have been more valuable than others - I tend to
      resonate towards the more academic - although what I experienced can
      not be found in any textbook. My experience was beyond the
      reasonable, was life changing - so my interest in finding others in
      this situation is serious.<<<

      Well, this group certainly does have an academic edge, which turns
      many off (there is always the accusation that people who have an
      academic background surely must do so at the expense of experience.
      As illogical as the accusation is, it is quite common). Don't let it
      fool you though. Even though we deal heavily with Gnosticism from
      the historical and philosophical perspective, we are fully aware of
      the spiritual undertones that can be communicated within such a
      focus. In fact, I find that maintining this focus actually refines
      communication in such a way that we can talk in far more subtle and
      deep ways than many people have the tools to pick out right away.

      Anyway, there are many groups on spirituality here at Yahoo,
      something for every taste. Hope you find this group appeals to yours.

      PMCV
    • imdarkchylde
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2006
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "bkimbell98" <bkimbell98@...>
        wrote:

        > I am new to this post,and have not yet had the time to review
        > others who have had any kind of religious or ecstatic experience.
        > am interested in comparing notes. Mine occurred a little more than
        > 8 years ago and since then I have been "devouring" all kinds of
        > reading material concerning gnosis, out of body experiences, and
        > spirituality. My travels have taken me through all types of
        > Christianity (my Catholic upbrining), through the Bahgavad Gita,
        The
        > Course in Miracles, The Urantia Book, Bishop Spong, Bart Erhman's
        > books, Robert Monroe's tapes, The Gospel of the Essenes, The Four
        > Agreements, Edgar Casey readings, Reiki training, Merkaba training,
        > all types of conspiracy theories, as well as alien theories... the
        > list could go on and on.
        >
        > Obviously, some have been more valuable than others - I tend to
        > resonate towards the more academic - although what I experienced
        can
        > not be found in any textbook. My experience was beyond the
        > reasonable, was life changing - so my interest in finding others in
        > this situation is serious.
        >
        > Barbara

        Hi, Barbara
        I am a mother of two that had a life-changing experience when I was
        at a very dark time in my life and was suicidal. I was visted by a
        divine being. There was no speech or speaking, but only someone
        stroking my hair. I looked up and saw a being of light that radiated
        such unconditional love that I have never been the same, you might
        say, and for the good. Then I was alone, but felt as though I had
        been bathed in light and all self desruction and pain and anger
        evaporated like the morning dew. I already had copies of the Gospel
        of Thomas and the Apoch. of John and began to gobble up everything I
        could find. I am still on the path, and always looking for others of
        like spirit.
        Love and Peas
        Darkchylde
      • bkimbell98
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
          Darkchyle,

          Thanks for responding. My experience happened in response to a
          prayer about my then 16 year old who was deeply depressed - I was
          unable to reach her, unable to help her deal with the dark hole she
          found herself in, despite all the reading, and experts I consulted.
          It was a long journey through that dark tunnel with her - but now
          she is a happy 24 year old - still having bouts of mild depression,
          but able to identify the problems early and able to keep herself out
          of darkness. It was a path that included depression drugs - which
          only made her worse. Long story.. won't go into details.

          It was because of her troubles that I had my experience - I was
          desperate for help and completely surrendered to spirit for the
          answer, since no human being, however well trained or educated, had
          any answers for her or me. I, too, was absorbed by the light, no
          voices or beings in my experience - only a sense of love, peace and
          joy beyond all possibilities in this earthy experience. I
          immediately 'knew' all truth , all answers were revealed to me and I
          was breathing in this love and truth - I was a part of it.
          Unfortunately, most of those answers were immediately gone after the
          experience was over - all except the absolute knowledge that we are
          all spirits capable of such love and compassion that could heal all
          troubles in the world. I know, beyond any doubt, that everything in
          this earthly world is for a purpose, that nothing can harm us, for
          we are spirits that will shed this body and live in that love
          forever, for it is our true home.

          Love heals all. The only true 'wounds' in the world are emotional,
          and from those emotional wounds (cause and effect) come physical and
          mental wounds that can debilitate us and cause our physical death.
          Physical death is inevitable. I doubt that the body is a work of
          spirit because it lacks an eternal nature. That which is eternal is
          of God, in my opinion. Our true life is in spirit - so in truth, we
          cannot be harmed. That is why I am fascinated by the Gita - for it
          expresses these thoughts in such a beautiful way. Gnostic works
          also express these thoughts, and I am intrigued to study them.

          Truth is available to us personally, too - it is not limited to
          people who lived 2000 years ago. We forget that and pour over
          volumes written in words foreign to us, having a difficult time to
          understand what was meant - when we have the ability to go within to
          contact that spirit ourselves and get the message first-hand.
          Surrender - complete surrender, is necessary, and few of us will
          give up that free will to find the ultimate Truth.

          We can argue about the meaning of ancient texts, but having the
          first hand experience is beyond words and has such a deep impact
          that one is forever changed.

          I look forward to that moment of death - I have no fear of it at
          all. But it is not a morbid wish, for I have much work to do here
          first. I have 4 daughers, 3 still living with me. I also work with
          youth groups - just returned from a camp I directed for 100 kids
          from kindergarten through high school. That is my work - giving
          them and their parents a sense of compassion and caring that we are
          all in this world together to find the love and express it. I must
          admit that I have a frustration with most established religions
          becasue I believe they miss the point entirely. So I work outside
          church groups, teaching through nature, asking all to challenge
          themselves to respect one another's feelings, strengths and
          weaknesses, respecting one another's opinions, and supporting one
          another through it all. It is through this, I believe, that one can
          find personal gnosis.

          I, myself, had to let go of the feeling of responsibility for my
          depressed daughter, helping her as I could, but knowing I could not
          help her unless she accepted the knowledge for herself. It took
          years. I simply loved her through the process, making her realize
          that my love would remain strong, no matter what she did or said to
          me or anyone else. I believed in her ability to get well -
          eventually, she did too. Once she accepted that responsibility for
          her own wellness, she began to get better.

          Thanks for sharing your experience too.

          Barbara

          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "imdarkchylde"