Re: Valentinian Exegesis of the Pauline Corpus

    Message 1 of 24 , May 3, 2006
      Hey Michael

      The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can most likely
      find at any larger bookstore. As with the "Gnostic Bible" it should
      be seen in the context of the intent of the editors. You can find
      most of these texts online for free at http://www.gnosis.org/
      (Icybrethovhecate need not have suggested these texts to Mike, since
      it is Mike's church that has put these texts online and Mike is well
      versed in these sources).

      Many of these texts in both the "Other Bible" and the "Gnostic
      Bible" are texts you will also find in the Nag Hammadi. The writings
      of Ptolemy, along with the writings of Theodotus and Heracleon (also
      both important Valentinian sources) are found in heresiological
      sources.... again all found on the Gnosis.org site I mentioned above.

      All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag Hammadi
      Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of course, the
      recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt. Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is
      also part of the same genre and widely available. If you read the
      notes it is actually kind of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.

      PMCV

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the links.
      >
      > The ebay link didn't work (I did paste the entire URL).
      >
      > Never heard of the Other Bible. What might that be?
      >

      > --Michael
      >

      > --- icybrethovhecate <icybrethovhecate@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I hope you enjoy the above links. I couldn't find the
      > document I really wanted "Ptolemy's Valentinian System",
      > but is contained in the Other Bible(which is a good purchase
      > anyway) http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Other-Bible-brand-

      new_W0QQitemZ4636853984QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
      > > Item

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • William
      Message 2 of 24 , May 4, 2006
        Is the "Gospel of Judas" available on-line?
        The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can most likely
        find at any larger bookstore. As with the "Gnostic Bible" it should
        be seen in the context of the intent of the editors. You can find
        most of these texts online for free at http://www.gnosis.org/
        (Icybrethovhecate need not have suggested these texts to Mike, since
        it is Mike's church that has put these texts online and Mike is well
        versed in these sources).

        Many of these texts in both the "Other Bible" and the "Gnostic
        Bible" are texts you will also find in the Nag Hammadi. The writings
        of Ptolemy, along with the writings of Theodotus and Heracleon (also
        both important Valentinian sources) are found in heresiological
        sources.... again all found on the Gnosis.org site I mentioned above.

        All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag Hammadi
        Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of course, the
        recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt. Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is
        also part of the same genre and widely available. If you read the
        notes it is actually kind of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.

        PMCV

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the links.
        >
        > The ebay link didn't work (I did paste the entire URL).
        >
        > Never heard of the Other Bible. What might that be?
        >

        > --Michael
        >

        > --- icybrethovhecate <icybrethovhecate@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I hope you enjoy the above links.  I couldn't find the
        > document I really wanted "Ptolemy's Valentinian System",
        > but is  contained in the Other Bible(which is a good purchase
        > anyway) http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Other-Bible-brand-

        new_W0QQitemZ4636853984QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
        > > Item

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • --Michael
        Message 3 of 24 , May 4, 2006
          --- pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Hey Michael
          >
          > The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can
          most likely find at any larger bookstore.

          Sorry. Still confused. I haunt the local Borders. Never have
          seen anything like what you describe. Are you referring to
          collections such as Nag Hammadi, books thereon, or the
          so-called "Gnostic Bible?"

          If you're not referring to a specific book but, rather, to a
          set of texts, why the word "bible?" The connotation is
          something authoritative (there used to be a "Shooter's" and
          an "Angler's Bible" some years back).

          > As with the "Gnostic Bible" it should be seen in the
          context of the intent of the editors. You can find most of
          these texts online for free at http://www.gnosis.org/

          That's been bookmarked.

          [snip]

          > All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag
          Hammadi Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of
          course, the recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt.
          Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is also part of the same genre and
          widely available. If you read the notes it is actually kind
          of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.

          > PMCV

          Much appreciated.

          Notes and explanations are what I need. Reading the texts
          without background and context is rather fruitless for me.

          Seems the Gospel of Judas has gotten more than a fair share
          of attention; methinks its importance has been blown way out
          of proportion.

          Publicity is good for sales, though. The Vatican's
          condemnation of the Da Vinci Code surely will help sell even
          more copies. If I'd not already purchased the book, I would
          on that recommendation. <G>

          --Michael

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 24 , May 4, 2006
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "William" <willpenrhiw@...> wrote:

            > Is the "Gospel of Judas" available on-line?

            Hello, William. You can download both the English and Coptic versions
            from this webpage:

            http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/document.html

            Message 5 of 24 , May 4, 2006
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

              > --- pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              > > Hey Michael
              > >
              > > The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can
              > most likely find at any larger bookstore.
              > >

              > Sorry. Still confused. I haunt the local Borders. Never have
              > seen anything like what you describe. Are you referring to
              > collections such as Nag Hammadi, books thereon, or the
              > so-called "Gnostic Bible?"
              >
              > If you're not referring to a specific book but, rather, to a
              > set of texts, why the word "bible?" The connotation is
              > something authoritative (there used to be a "Shooter's" and
              > an "Angler's Bible" some years back).

              Hi, Michael. _The Other Bible_ is edited by Willis Barnstone,
              http://web.whittier.edu/barnstone/OTHERBIBLE.HTM

              who also was one of the editors of the more recent _The Gnostic
              Bible_.

              Both books are available in bookstores and through online
              booksellers. I wouldn't get hung up on the term "bible" regarding
              these two modern collections of various religious texts, although I
              agree that the connotation can be confusing. They are *not* intended
              to be compilations of texts for specific religious use with an
              absolute authoritarian function. In fact, I think the editors of
              _The Gnostic Bible_ realized misunderstanding that could ensue from
              use of the word "bible," and they do explain the history and their
              use of the term in the introduction to the book. They specifically
              say that "the sacred literature in this Bible constitutes no closed
              canon."

              > > All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag
              > Hammadi Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of
              > course, the recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt.
              > Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is also part of the same genre and
              > widely available. If you read the notes it is actually kind
              > of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.
              > >
              > > PMCV
              >
              > Much appreciated.
              >
              > Notes and explanations are what I need. Reading the texts
              > without background and context is rather fruitless for me.

              PMCV's recommendation, _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by James M.
              Robinson, does provide helpful introductions to works. In addition,
              if you like annotations, you'll find plenty in Bentley Layton's _The
              Gnostic Scriptures_, which contains selected scriptures.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                Apparently we've been having some serious technical difficulties
                regarding ability to post. Last week I tried to resend a message
                Michael attempted to post. Both messages still haven't appeared. I
                don't know how many other members have had difficulty posting.

                I'm going to try once more to send Michael's reply.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                --- lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > Hi, Michael. _The Other Bible_ is edited by Willis
                Barnstone, who also was one of the editors of the more recent
                _The Gnostic Bible_.

                Ah, got that on order.
                Found the "Other Bible" on amazon. Thanks for the help.

                > I wouldn't get hung up on the term "bible" regarding these
                two modern collections of various religious texts, although I
                agree that the connotation can be confusing.

                Sometimes I'm too much of a stickler.

                > They are *not* intended to be compilations of texts for
                specific religious use with an absolute authoritarian
                function. In fact, I think the editors of _The Gnostic
                Bible_ realized misunderstanding that could ensue from use
                of the word "bible," and they do explain the history and
                their use of the term in the introduction to the book. They
                specifically say that "the sacred literature in this Bible
                constitutes no closed canon."

                Good. But the word "Bible" is catchy. Good search term, too.

                Fair enough.

                > PMCV's recommendation, _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by
                James M. Robinson, does provide helpful introductions to
                works. In addition, if you like annotations, you'll find
                plenty in Bentley Layton's _The Gnostic Scriptures_, which
                contains selected scriptures.

                Thanks for the other reference. I'll look it up on zam-azon.
                <g>

                --Michael
                Message 7 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                  Well, hallelujah! We're up and running again. *lol*

                  > Apparently we've been having some serious technical difficulties
                  > regarding ability to post. Last week I tried to resend a message
                  > Michael attempted to post. Both messages still haven't appeared.
                  > don't know how many other members have had difficulty posting.
                  >
                  > I'm going to try once more to send Michael's reply.
                  >
                  > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  >

                  > --- lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi, Michael. _The Other Bible_ is edited by Willis
                  > Barnstone, who also was one of the editors of the more recent
                  > _The Gnostic Bible_.
                  > >

                  > Ah, got that on order.
                  > Found the "Other Bible" on amazon. Thanks for the help.
                  >

                  > > I wouldn't get hung up on the term "bible" regarding these
                  > two modern collections of various religious texts, although I
                  > agree that the connotation can be confusing.
                  > >

                  > Sometimes I'm too much of a stickler.
                  >

                  > > They are *not* intended to be compilations of texts for
                  > specific religious use with an absolute authoritarian
                  > function. In fact, I think the editors of _The Gnostic
                  > Bible_ realized misunderstanding that could ensue from use
                  > of the word "bible," and they do explain the history and
                  > their use of the term in the introduction to the book. They
                  > specifically say that "the sacred literature in this Bible
                  > constitutes no closed canon."
                  > >

                  > Good. But the word "Bible" is catchy. Good search term, too.
                  >
                  > Fair enough.
                  >

                  > > PMCV's recommendation, _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by
                  > James M. Robinson, does provide helpful introductions to
                  > works. In addition, if you like annotations, you'll find
                  > plenty in Bentley Layton's _The Gnostic Scriptures_, which
                  > contains selected scriptures.
                  > >

                  > Thanks for the other reference. I'll look it up on zam-azon.
                  > <g>
                  >

                  > --Michael

                • --Michael
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                    I was wondering what might have happened. Thanks.

                    Sometimes you get less than what you pay for. The workings of
                    Ya-Hoo are even more mysterious than ancient Gnostic texts.

                    --Michael

                    --- lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > Apparently we've been having some serious technical
                    difficulties regarding ability to post. Last week I tried to
                    resend a message Michael attempted to post. Both messages
                    still haven't appeared. I don't know how many other members
                    have had difficulty posting.

                    > I'm going to try once more to send Michael's reply.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Michael Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                      --Michael wrote:
                      > I was wondering what might have happened. Thanks.
                      >
                      > Sometimes you get less than what you pay for. The workings of
                      > Ya-Hoo are even more mysterious than ancient Gnostic texts.

                      You have to wonder about an organization that names itself after the
                      demented humanoids of Johnathan Swift.
                    • --Michael
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                        Indeed.

                        I still remember Festus (Ken Curtis) on Gunsmoke saying
                        "yay-hoos." I've always pronounced it "yah-hoo" but have been
                        know to refer to it as "yah-hooey."

                        Still, Yahoo is head-and-shoulders above MSN Groups. I
                        despise excessive, not to mention garish and tasteless, use
                        of graphics.

                        --Michael

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                          I was wondering if there's a significant difference between
                          _The Gnostic Bible_ and _The Other Bible_, both by Willis
                          Barnstone.

                          And also wondering about Hoeller's _Gnosticism_. Good, bad,
                          ...?

                          For that matter, how about _Gnosis : The Nature and History
                          of Gnosticism_ by Kurt Rudolph?

                          --Michael

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 9, 2006
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                            > I was wondering if there's a significant difference between
                            > _The Gnostic Bible_ and _The Other Bible_, both by Willis
                            > Barnstone.

                            Michael, _The Other Bible_ contains selections of literature (among
                            them some Gnostic writings) from Judeo-Christian traditions that were
                            not included in the orthodox Christian Bible canon.

                            _The Gnostic Bible_ is an anthology of texts the editors have deemed
                            as broadly "gnostic." Some of the literature included is not
                            regarded by various scholars to fit the category of historical
                            Gnosticism, but this literature is often from groups that at least
                            could be considered as related traditions.

                            > And also wondering about Hoeller's _Gnosticism_. Good, bad,
                            > ...?

                            I found Hoeller's book to be an enjoyable read. It's a good
                            introduction, but of course does include some subjective views of his.

                            > For that matter, how about _Gnosis : The Nature and History
                            > of Gnosticism_ by Kurt Rudolph?

                            Very good.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 10, 2006

                              Hi, Michael.

                              I might have managed to chime in earlier, but I'm having some computer difficulties at the moment (on top of everything else), and my emergency laptop is little consolation.

                              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                              > I was wondering if there's a significant difference between
                              > _The Gnostic Bible_ and _The Other Bible_, both by Willis
                              > Barnstone.

                              One other thing to keep in mind, Michael, is that both The Other Bible and The Gnostic Bible offer abridged versions for some of the translated texts. This is fine for those who are simply looking for an introductory taste of works excluded from their own religious tradition, or for those who prefer a flowing and accessible rendering of some of these diverse and difficult works, but for carefully examining what the Gnostic authors actually sought to convey, one would be well advised to balance those anthologies with Robinson's affordable compilation, The Nag Hammadi Library. I stress "affordable" there because the next step up in my own recommended reading list would be another series edited by Robinson, The Coptic Gnostic Library (the forerunner of the NHL).

                              Since I've broached the subject of "readability" already, it should be mentioned that this is another aspect of Robinson's collection that should be taken into consideration. Personally, I frequently found myself avoiding certain tractates in his book simply because of the numerous lacunae. It's definitely a challenge to read something all the way through when it sometimes seems as if every passage consists of random words interspersed with countless bracketed ellipses. My own copy of the NHL is the first edition, so I was somewhat dismayed just now when I looked up a critique of his revised edition and found that the "new & improved" version was even more conservative (i.e., less fluid). The same reviewer suggested that it would be nice to see yet another revision in which those lacunae are preserved (so that the reader can see where actual gaps and irregularities exist in the extant originals), but where such voids in the text were supplemented with footnotes offering scholarly insight into what they likely contained. Frankly, such a work already exists (inasmuch as it is possible to speculate on filling some of those holes), but it is the more expensive CGL that I referred to above. If anyone here happens to own both editions of the popularly targeted NHL, I would be interested in hearing additional insights regarding differences between the translations presented in these two.

                              > For that matter, how about _Gnosis : The Nature and History
                              > of Gnosticism_ by Kurt Rudolph?
                              >

                              > --Michael

                              As Cari said, this is a very good overview of the subject. As always, however, I wouldn't want anyone taking the opinions expressed therein as gospel, and neglecting the more recent research of other scholars in the field. Frankly, there are groups out there who do just that, not only with Rudolph's book, but even the older work of Hans Jonas. Basically, such people read these and seem to conclude that the measure of a Gnostic group is how similarly it resonates with Marcionism. When they get started on their rants, "Old Testament god bad; New Testament God good," it soon comes across as little more than a heavily dualistic, anti-Semitic brand of orthodoxy in which Jesus has still come to rescue us all from a life of sin. The mere concept of anything actually "transcendent" is usually lost on such individuals.  If you run across these people in your Internet travels, you will recognize them immediately.  ;-)

                              Gerry

                            • Michael Leavitt
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 10, 2006

                                --