Re: [Gnosticism2] Valentinian Exegesis of the Pauline Corpus

  • Michael Leavitt
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 30, 2006
      Steve wrote:
      > Hello. Has anyone here taken a particular interest in the Valentinian
      > (Heracleon, Marcus, Ptolemy, Theodotus) exegesis of the Pauline
      > letters, as reported by the Heresiologists? With the availability of
      > such texts as The interpretation of Knowledge, it may be now possible
      > to come to some reliable conclusions. Any comments would be appreciated.
      > Yours, Steve W.
      >
      > There is always Pagels THE GNOSTIC PAUL.

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2006

        > Steve wrote:
        > > Hello. Has anyone here taken a particular interest in the
        Valentinian
        > > (Heracleon, Marcus, Ptolemy, Theodotus) exegesis of the Pauline
        > > letters, as reported by the Heresiologists? With the availability
        of
        > > such texts as The interpretation of Knowledge, it may be now
        possible
        > > to come to some reliable conclusions. Any comments would be
        appreciated.
        > > Yours, Steve W.
        > >
        > > There is always Pagels THE GNOSTIC PAUL.
        > >
        > >Hi Mike. Yes, I already have her book. I am intrigued by the
        possibility that the Valentinian tradition did, in fact, go back to
        the esoteric teaching of Paul. The letters that most scholars accept
        as either being by Paul or at least of the Pauline School use so much
        gnostic terminology and make so many subtle references to gnostic
        theology that I can no longer dismiss the connection. What do you
        think?
        Yours, Steve W.
      • Michael Leavitt
        Message 3 of 24 , May 1, 2006
          Steve wrote:
          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Steve wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hello. Has anyone here taken a particular interest in the
          >>>
          > Valentinian
          >
          >>> (Heracleon, Marcus, Ptolemy, Theodotus) exegesis of the Pauline
          >>> letters, as reported by the Heresiologists? With the availability
          >>>
          > of
          >
          >>> such texts as The interpretation of Knowledge, it may be now
          >>>
          > possible
          >
          >>> to come to some reliable conclusions. Any comments would be
          >>>
          > appreciated.
          >
          >>> Yours, Steve W.
          >>>
          >>> There is always Pagels THE GNOSTIC PAUL.
          >>>
          >>> Hi Mike. Yes, I already have her book. I am intrigued by the
          >>>
          > possibility that the Valentinian tradition did, in fact, go back to
          > the esoteric teaching of Paul. The letters that most scholars accept
          > as either being by Paul or at least of the Pauline School use so much
          > gnostic terminology and make so many subtle references to gnostic
          > theology that I can no longer dismiss the connection. What do you
          > think?
          > Yours, Steve W.

          Years ago I gave a lecture entitled the Gnostic Paul. All I did was go
          through his letters and pick out the most Gnostic statements. I have
          been a fan of Paul as gnostic since the early 1960's.

          --
          M. Leavitt
        • icybrethovhecate
          Message 4 of 24 , May 2, 2006
            read Ptolemy's Valentinian System. It has a lot of references to the
            writings of Paul. Actually, I'd reccomend all Ptolemy's writings for
            a comparison of Biblical Christianity and Gnosticism.

            > Steve wrote:
            > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@>
            wrote:

            > > Valentinian

            > > of

            > > possible

            > > appreciated.

            > > possibility that the Valentinian tradition did, in fact, go back
            > > the esoteric teaching of Paul. The letters that most scholars
            accept
            > > as either being by Paul or at least of the Pauline School use so
            much
            > > gnostic terminology and make so many subtle references to gnostic
            > > theology that I can no longer dismiss the connection. What do you
            > > think?
            > > Yours, Steve W.
            > >

            > Years ago I gave a lecture entitled the Gnostic Paul. All I did
            was go
            > through his letters and pick out the most Gnostic statements. I
            have
            > been a fan of Paul as gnostic since the early 1960's.
            >
            > --
            > M. Leavitt

          • --Michael
            Message 5 of 24 , May 3, 2006
              Could you give a few recommended titles and/or authors?

              --Michael

              --- icybrethovhecate <icybrethovhecate@...> wrote:

              > read Ptolemy's Valentinian System. It has a lot of
              references to the writings of Paul. Actually, I'd reccomend
              all Ptolemy's writings for a comparison of Biblical
              Christianity and Gnosticism.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • icybrethovhecate
              Message 6 of 24 , May 3, 2006
                Ptolemy "The Valentinian Speculation", and Ptotlemys "Letter to
                Flora" are couple or excellent books. I would also read the
                Velentianin commentary on the gospel of John.
                http://www.gnosis.org/library/flora.htm,
                http://www.gnosis.org/library/ptl.htm,
                http://www.gnosis.org/library/valentinus/index.html

                Much of the Valentinian stuff is similar to mainstream/pauline
                Christianity. I hope you enjoy the above links. I couldn't find the
                document I really wanted "Ptolemy's Valentinian System", but is
                contained in the Other Bible(which is a good purchase anyway)
                http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Other-Bible-brand-
                new_W0QQitemZ4636853984QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView
                Item

                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                > Could you give a few recommended titles and/or authors?
                >

                > --Michael
                >

                > --- icybrethovhecate <icybrethovhecate@...> wrote:
                >
                > > read Ptolemy's Valentinian System. It has a lot of
                > references to the writings of Paul. Actually, I'd reccomend
                > all Ptolemy's writings for a comparison of Biblical
                > Christianity and Gnosticism.

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • --Michael
                Message 7 of 24 , May 3, 2006
                  Thanks for the links.

                  The ebay link didn't work (I did paste the entire URL).

                  Never heard of the Other Bible. What might that be?

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 3, 2006
                    Hey Michael

                    The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can most likely
                    find at any larger bookstore. As with the "Gnostic Bible" it should
                    be seen in the context of the intent of the editors. You can find
                    most of these texts online for free at http://www.gnosis.org/
                    (Icybrethovhecate need not have suggested these texts to Mike, since
                    it is Mike's church that has put these texts online and Mike is well
                    versed in these sources).

                    Many of these texts in both the "Other Bible" and the "Gnostic
                    Bible" are texts you will also find in the Nag Hammadi. The writings
                    of Ptolemy, along with the writings of Theodotus and Heracleon (also
                    both important Valentinian sources) are found in heresiological
                    sources.... again all found on the Gnosis.org site I mentioned above.

                    All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag Hammadi
                    Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of course, the
                    recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt. Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is
                    also part of the same genre and widely available. If you read the
                    notes it is actually kind of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.

                    PMCV

                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the links.
                    >
                    > The ebay link didn't work (I did paste the entire URL).
                    >
                    > Never heard of the Other Bible. What might that be?
                    >

                    > --Michael
                    >

                    > --- icybrethovhecate <icybrethovhecate@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I hope you enjoy the above links. I couldn't find the
                    > document I really wanted "Ptolemy's Valentinian System",
                    > but is contained in the Other Bible(which is a good purchase
                    > anyway) http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Other-Bible-brand-

                    new_W0QQitemZ4636853984QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
                    > > Item

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • William
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 4, 2006
                      Is the "Gospel of Judas" available on-line?
                      The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can most likely
                      find at any larger bookstore. As with the "Gnostic Bible" it should
                      be seen in the context of the intent of the editors. You can find
                      most of these texts online for free at http://www.gnosis.org/
                      (Icybrethovhecate need not have suggested these texts to Mike, since
                      it is Mike's church that has put these texts online and Mike is well
                      versed in these sources).

                      Many of these texts in both the "Other Bible" and the "Gnostic
                      Bible" are texts you will also find in the Nag Hammadi. The writings
                      of Ptolemy, along with the writings of Theodotus and Heracleon (also
                      both important Valentinian sources) are found in heresiological
                      sources.... again all found on the Gnosis.org site I mentioned above.

                      All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag Hammadi
                      Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of course, the
                      recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt. Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is
                      also part of the same genre and widely available. If you read the
                      notes it is actually kind of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.

                      PMCV

                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the links.
                      >
                      > The ebay link didn't work (I did paste the entire URL).
                      >
                      > Never heard of the Other Bible. What might that be?
                      >

                      > --Michael
                      >

                      > --- icybrethovhecate <icybrethovhecate@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I hope you enjoy the above links.  I couldn't find the
                      > document I really wanted "Ptolemy's Valentinian System",
                      > but is  contained in the Other Bible(which is a good purchase
                      > anyway) http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Other-Bible-brand-

                      new_W0QQitemZ4636853984QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
                      > > Item

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • --Michael
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 4, 2006
                        --- pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        > Hey Michael
                        >
                        > The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can
                        most likely find at any larger bookstore.

                        Sorry. Still confused. I haunt the local Borders. Never have
                        seen anything like what you describe. Are you referring to
                        collections such as Nag Hammadi, books thereon, or the
                        so-called "Gnostic Bible?"

                        If you're not referring to a specific book but, rather, to a
                        set of texts, why the word "bible?" The connotation is
                        something authoritative (there used to be a "Shooter's" and
                        an "Angler's Bible" some years back).

                        > As with the "Gnostic Bible" it should be seen in the
                        context of the intent of the editors. You can find most of
                        these texts online for free at http://www.gnosis.org/

                        That's been bookmarked.

                        [snip]

                        > All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag
                        Hammadi Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of
                        course, the recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt.
                        Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is also part of the same genre and
                        widely available. If you read the notes it is actually kind
                        of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.

                        > PMCV

                        Much appreciated.

                        Notes and explanations are what I need. Reading the texts
                        without background and context is rather fruitless for me.

                        Seems the Gospel of Judas has gotten more than a fair share
                        of attention; methinks its importance has been blown way out
                        of proportion.

                        Publicity is good for sales, though. The Vatican's
                        condemnation of the Da Vinci Code surely will help sell even
                        more copies. If I'd not already purchased the book, I would
                        on that recommendation. <G>

                        --Michael

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 4, 2006
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "William" <willpenrhiw@...> wrote:

                          > Is the "Gospel of Judas" available on-line?

                          Hello, William. You can download both the English and Coptic versions
                          from this webpage:

                          http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/document.html

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 4, 2006
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                            > --- pmcvflag <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hey Michael
                            > >
                            > > The so called "Other Bible" is just a collection you can
                            > most likely find at any larger bookstore.
                            > >

                            > Sorry. Still confused. I haunt the local Borders. Never have
                            > seen anything like what you describe. Are you referring to
                            > collections such as Nag Hammadi, books thereon, or the
                            > so-called "Gnostic Bible?"
                            >
                            > If you're not referring to a specific book but, rather, to a
                            > set of texts, why the word "bible?" The connotation is
                            > something authoritative (there used to be a "Shooter's" and
                            > an "Angler's Bible" some years back).

                            Hi, Michael. _The Other Bible_ is edited by Willis Barnstone,
                            http://web.whittier.edu/barnstone/OTHERBIBLE.HTM

                            who also was one of the editors of the more recent _The Gnostic
                            Bible_.

                            Both books are available in bookstores and through online
                            booksellers. I wouldn't get hung up on the term "bible" regarding
                            these two modern collections of various religious texts, although I
                            agree that the connotation can be confusing. They are *not* intended
                            to be compilations of texts for specific religious use with an
                            absolute authoritarian function. In fact, I think the editors of
                            _The Gnostic Bible_ realized misunderstanding that could ensue from
                            use of the word "bible," and they do explain the history and their
                            use of the term in the introduction to the book. They specifically
                            say that "the sacred literature in this Bible constitutes no closed
                            canon."

                            > > All in all, if you want to explore Gnosticism then the Nag
                            > Hammadi Library is BY FAR the general collection to get. Of
                            > course, the recently translated "Gospel of Judas" (edt.
                            > Kasser Meyer, Wurst) is also part of the same genre and
                            > widely available. If you read the notes it is actually kind
                            > of a good intro to Gnosticism in general.
                            > >
                            > > PMCV
                            >
                            > Much appreciated.
                            >
                            > Notes and explanations are what I need. Reading the texts
                            > without background and context is rather fruitless for me.

                            PMCV's recommendation, _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by James M.
                            Robinson, does provide helpful introductions to works. In addition,
                            if you like annotations, you'll find plenty in Bentley Layton's _The
                            Gnostic Scriptures_, which contains selected scriptures.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                              Apparently we've been having some serious technical difficulties
                              regarding ability to post. Last week I tried to resend a message
                              Michael attempted to post. Both messages still haven't appeared. I
                              don't know how many other members have had difficulty posting.

                              I'm going to try once more to send Michael's reply.

                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                              --- lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              > Hi, Michael. _The Other Bible_ is edited by Willis
                              Barnstone, who also was one of the editors of the more recent
                              _The Gnostic Bible_.

                              Ah, got that on order.
                              Found the "Other Bible" on amazon. Thanks for the help.

                              > I wouldn't get hung up on the term "bible" regarding these
                              two modern collections of various religious texts, although I
                              agree that the connotation can be confusing.

                              Sometimes I'm too much of a stickler.

                              > They are *not* intended to be compilations of texts for
                              specific religious use with an absolute authoritarian
                              function. In fact, I think the editors of _The Gnostic
                              Bible_ realized misunderstanding that could ensue from use
                              of the word "bible," and they do explain the history and
                              their use of the term in the introduction to the book. They
                              specifically say that "the sacred literature in this Bible
                              constitutes no closed canon."

                              Good. But the word "Bible" is catchy. Good search term, too.

                              Fair enough.

                              > PMCV's recommendation, _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by
                              James M. Robinson, does provide helpful introductions to
                              works. In addition, if you like annotations, you'll find
                              plenty in Bentley Layton's _The Gnostic Scriptures_, which
                              contains selected scriptures.

                              Thanks for the other reference. I'll look it up on zam-azon.
                              <g>

                              --Michael
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                                Well, hallelujah! We're up and running again. *lol*

                                > Apparently we've been having some serious technical difficulties
                                > regarding ability to post. Last week I tried to resend a message
                                > Michael attempted to post. Both messages still haven't appeared.
                                > don't know how many other members have had difficulty posting.
                                >
                                > I'm going to try once more to send Michael's reply.
                                >
                                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                >

                                > --- lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hi, Michael. _The Other Bible_ is edited by Willis
                                > Barnstone, who also was one of the editors of the more recent
                                > _The Gnostic Bible_.
                                > >

                                > Ah, got that on order.
                                > Found the "Other Bible" on amazon. Thanks for the help.
                                >

                                > > I wouldn't get hung up on the term "bible" regarding these
                                > two modern collections of various religious texts, although I
                                > agree that the connotation can be confusing.
                                > >

                                > Sometimes I'm too much of a stickler.
                                >

                                > > They are *not* intended to be compilations of texts for
                                > specific religious use with an absolute authoritarian
                                > function. In fact, I think the editors of _The Gnostic
                                > Bible_ realized misunderstanding that could ensue from use
                                > of the word "bible," and they do explain the history and
                                > their use of the term in the introduction to the book. They
                                > specifically say that "the sacred literature in this Bible
                                > constitutes no closed canon."
                                > >

                                > Good. But the word "Bible" is catchy. Good search term, too.
                                >
                                > Fair enough.
                                >

                                > > PMCV's recommendation, _The Nag Hammadi Library_, edited by
                                > James M. Robinson, does provide helpful introductions to
                                > works. In addition, if you like annotations, you'll find
                                > plenty in Bentley Layton's _The Gnostic Scriptures_, which
                                > contains selected scriptures.
                                > >

                                > Thanks for the other reference. I'll look it up on zam-azon.
                                > <g>
                                >

                                > --Michael

                              • --Michael
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                                  I was wondering what might have happened. Thanks.

                                  Sometimes you get less than what you pay for. The workings of
                                  Ya-Hoo are even more mysterious than ancient Gnostic texts.

                                  --Michael

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                                    --Michael wrote:
                                    > I was wondering what might have happened. Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > Sometimes you get less than what you pay for. The workings of
                                    > Ya-Hoo are even more mysterious than ancient Gnostic texts.

                                    You have to wonder about an organization that names itself after the
                                    demented humanoids of Johnathan Swift.
                                  • --Michael
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                                      Indeed.

                                      I still remember Festus (Ken Curtis) on Gunsmoke saying
                                      "yay-hoos." I've always pronounced it "yah-hoo" but have been
                                      know to refer to it as "yah-hooey."

                                      Still, Yahoo is head-and-shoulders above MSN Groups. I
                                      despise excessive, not to mention garish and tasteless, use
                                      of graphics.

                                      --Michael

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 8, 2006
                                        I was wondering if there's a significant difference between
                                        _The Gnostic Bible_ and _The Other Bible_, both by Willis
                                        Barnstone.

                                        And also wondering about Hoeller's _Gnosticism_. Good, bad,
                                        ...?

                                        For that matter, how about _Gnosis : The Nature and History
                                        of Gnosticism_ by Kurt Rudolph?

                                        --Michael

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 9, 2006
                                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                                          > I was wondering if there's a significant difference between
                                          > _The Gnostic Bible_ and _The Other Bible_, both by Willis
                                          > Barnstone.

                                          Michael, _The Other Bible_ contains selections of literature (among
                                          them some Gnostic writings) from Judeo-Christian traditions that were
                                          not included in the orthodox Christian Bible canon.

                                          _The Gnostic Bible_ is an anthology of texts the editors have deemed
                                          as broadly "gnostic." Some of the literature included is not
                                          regarded by various scholars to fit the category of historical
                                          Gnosticism, but this literature is often from groups that at least
                                          could be considered as related traditions.

                                          > And also wondering about Hoeller's _Gnosticism_. Good, bad,
                                          > ...?

                                          I found Hoeller's book to be an enjoyable read. It's a good
                                          introduction, but of course does include some subjective views of his.

                                          > For that matter, how about _Gnosis : The Nature and History
                                          > of Gnosticism_ by Kurt Rudolph?

                                          Very good.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 10, 2006

                                            Hi, Michael.

                                            I might have managed to chime in earlier, but I'm having some computer difficulties at the moment (on top of everything else), and my emergency laptop is little consolation.

                                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, --Michael <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                                            > I was wondering if there's a significant difference between
                                            > _The Gnostic Bible_ and _The Other Bible_, both by Willis
                                            > Barnstone.

                                            One other thing to keep in mind, Michael, is that both The Other Bible and The Gnostic Bible offer abridged versions for some of the translated texts. This is fine for those who are simply looking for an introductory taste of works excluded from their own religious tradition, or for those who prefer a flowing and accessible rendering of some of these diverse and difficult works, but for carefully examining what the Gnostic authors actually sought to convey, one would be well advised to balance those anthologies with Robinson's affordable compilation, The Nag Hammadi Library. I stress "affordable" there because the next step up in my own recommended reading list would be another series edited by Robinson, The Coptic Gnostic Library (the forerunner of the NHL).

                                            Since I've broached the subject of "readability" already, it should be mentioned that this is another aspect of Robinson's collection that should be taken into consideration. Personally, I frequently found myself avoiding certain tractates in his book simply because of the numerous lacunae. It's definitely a challenge to read something all the way through when it sometimes seems as if every passage consists of random words interspersed with countless bracketed ellipses. My own copy of the NHL is the first edition, so I was somewhat dismayed just now when I looked up a critique of his revised edition and found that the "new & improved" version was even more conservative (i.e., less fluid). The same reviewer suggested that it would be nice to see yet another revision in which those lacunae are preserved (so that the reader can see where actual gaps and irregularities exist in the extant originals), but where such voids in the text were supplemented with footnotes offering scholarly insight into what they likely contained. Frankly, such a work already exists (inasmuch as it is possible to speculate on filling some of those holes), but it is the more expensive CGL that I referred to above. If anyone here happens to own both editions of the popularly targeted NHL, I would be interested in hearing additional insights regarding differences between the translations presented in these two.

                                            > For that matter, how about _Gnosis : The Nature and History
                                            > of Gnosticism_ by Kurt Rudolph?
                                            >

                                            > --Michael

                                            As Cari said, this is a very good overview of the subject. As always, however, I wouldn't want anyone taking the opinions expressed therein as gospel, and neglecting the more recent research of other scholars in the field. Frankly, there are groups out there who do just that, not only with Rudolph's book, but even the older work of Hans Jonas. Basically, such people read these and seem to conclude that the measure of a Gnostic group is how similarly it resonates with Marcionism. When they get started on their rants, "Old Testament god bad; New Testament God good," it soon comes across as little more than a heavily dualistic, anti-Semitic brand of orthodoxy in which Jesus has still come to rescue us all from a life of sin. The mere concept of anything actually "transcendent" is usually lost on such individuals.  If you run across these people in your Internet travels, you will recognize them immediately.  ;-)

                                            Gerry

                                          • Michael Leavitt
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 10, 2006

                                              --