The Pauline Connection, Revisited

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2006
      A few days ago I brought up the question of the Valentinian use of the
      Pauline Corpus. Some scholars speculate that Jewish and Christian forms
      of gnosticism arose out of failed apocalyptic hopes. Paul is often
      characterized as being the Arch-Apocalypticist, writing before the
      destruction of the Temple and expecting the Parousia in his lifetime.
      If it can be shown that Paul's authentic letters contain veiled
      references to mythological motifs associated with 2nd century gnostic
      systems this would compel us to reconsider the 'failed apocalyptic'
      theory in a new light. -Steve W.