Mandaenism

  • icybrethovhecate
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2006
      Lately I have been researching one of the most unique branches of
      Gnosticism, the Mandaens. I have really done much research, but I
      have been reading the Ginza. From what I understand the Mandaens
      believe that in the begining a great fruit(the pleroma, seed of life,
      ect.) existed and that a serious of reactions within the greta fruit
      created the King of Light who birthed the Uthra(light beings, Aeons)
      and that simultaneous with the creation of light was the creation of
      darkness. The King of Light wished to rule over the darkness and
      sent his messanger Ptahil Uthra to world below to solidify the waters
      of the abyss and start creation. Our of the darkness Ptahil Uthra
      created Ruha the serpent women and the seven planets and then began
      to create Adam out of dust. Ptahil was unable to breath soul into
      Adam, nor where any of the planets able to do so, but the King of
      Light sent down the hidden Mana which gave Adam soul. Like in most
      Gnostic cosmologies Adam and Eve lived in an imperfect world and
      sought redemption through knowledge of the world above and where
      saved. But unlike many Gnostics the Mandaens regarded Jesus as a
      sorcerer and false prophet who perverted the teachings of John the
      Baptist, whom the Mandaens claim their lineage from. There many
      paralels in the Mandaen gospels and hymns and other Gnostic
      literature. It is said that the Mandaens still exist today in Iraq
      and are known to wear all white and practice ritual cleansing
      (baptism).
    • Michael Leavitt
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2006
        icybrethovhecate wrote:
        > Lately I have been researching one of the most unique branches of
        > Gnosticism, the Mandaens. I have really done much research, but I
        > have been reading the Ginza. From what I understand the Mandaens
        > believe that in the begining a great fruit(the pleroma, seed of life,
        > ect.) existed and that a serious of reactions within the greta fruit
        > created the King of Light who birthed the Uthra(light beings, Aeons)
        > and that simultaneous with the creation of light was the creation of
        > darkness. The King of Light wished to rule over the darkness and
        > sent his messanger Ptahil Uthra to world below to solidify the waters
        > of the abyss and start creation. Our of the darkness Ptahil Uthra
        > created Ruha the serpent women and the seven planets and then began
        > to create Adam out of dust. Ptahil was unable to breath soul into
        > Adam, nor where any of the planets able to do so, but the King of
        > Light sent down the hidden Mana which gave Adam soul. Like in most
        > Gnostic cosmologies Adam and Eve lived in an imperfect world and
        > sought redemption through knowledge of the world above and where
        > saved. But unlike many Gnostics the Mandaens regarded Jesus as a
        > sorcerer and false prophet who perverted the teachings of John the
        > Baptist, whom the Mandaens claim their lineage from. There many
        > paralels in the Mandaen gospels and hymns and other Gnostic
        > literature. It is said that the Mandaens still exist today in Iraq
        > and are known to wear all white and practice ritual cleansing
        > (baptism).

        They also exist here in southern California (a friend of mine met their
        head priest and his daughter in a restaurant) as well as their New York
        group and their main group in Florida, where they have a ritual
        baptismal. They wound up fighting each other in he Iran--Iraq war, and
        that did it. Most of them bailed.

        M. Leavitt