Re: we are the walking dead

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2006
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Mestizo Perez" <j0kerx3@...>
      wrote:

      > This is what I read Cari,
      >
      > "Truly, you have listened firmly (to
      us)
      > concerning all these
      > things. Do not seek to understand anything more. Rather, go. We
      > are not acquainted with whether the unrecognizable possesses angels
      > or gods; nor whether the still has anything within it but stillness,
      > i.e. its own self; and so it is not . . . Nor is it fitting to
      become
      > dispersed many more times by seeking (to understand)."
      >
      > Cari
      >
      > but if it was meant for the Mer248lina. then as I said I wasn't
      sure if it
      > was for me.But thank you Cari for clarifying that for me.

      Mestizo, thank you for responding because hopefully now I can clear
      up a misunderstanding.

      If you'll notice, the part you provided was in quotes. I don't make
      it a habit of placing my words inside quotes. In fact, I was only
      quoting from the Gnostic work called _Allogenes_. In this section
      (which I'll copy and paste below) I mentioned I was quoting from this
      work, I quoted from a footnote, wrote a sentence of my own commentary
      (not in quotes), and then ended with the quote you provided here.
      For even greater context, you might want to go back to the former
      post (I linked below). Please let me know if this is still not clear
      or whether you have any further questions.

      _Allogenes_ describes the abstract journey of a soul. In _The
      Gnostic Scriptures_, Bentley Layton comments in a footnote (p. 146):

      "By progressive mystical introspection, the Foreigner has `beheld'
      the ineffable, i.e. gained acquaintance (gnosis) of it (61:8f). Yet
      to `understand' the vision of this object is a different task, the
      task of philosophy; hence the heavy philosophical style of the
      revelation that follows."

      And at the end, it is made clear by the holy powers that even after
      achieving special spiritual acquaintance (Gnosis), we still have
      human limitations on additional speculation regarding comprehension
      of the ineffable spiritual source.