Gnostic church?

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 19, 2006
      Is there such thing as a Gnostic church? I love researching on my own,
      but I would also like a meeting place such as a 'church'. I have
      googled "gnostic church" but have come up with nothing!
      Thank you, and thanks for the reading suggestions.
    • kikid9@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 19, 2006
        Hey Karen,
        I'm Kevin.. in New York City. I know what you mean.
        I had googled Gnostic Masses... and came up with very
        little. Though, there was much about Aleister Crowley
        and versions of his mass and such.
        Then I thought I'd struck gold. Easter was coming
        and I'm not a practicing "Catholic"... though I'd
        wanted to, in some way, celebrate with "like" people.
        I came across the St. Sophia Community in New York
        City... I found the website... it mentioned a Weekly
        Gnostic Mass at 11:00am on Sunday's. It has a link
        for information/directions. When I clicked it...
        there's a page that says it can't be read. Under that
        link is a link for a new Gnostic Meditation Class
        coming this Spring by the same St. Sophia Community.
        It is an email contact link. I wrote them saying I
        was interested in the meditation class and mentioning
        the link for "information/directions for the weekly
        mass doesn't work. Could they, in fact, provide the
        weekly gnostic mass info with info on the meditation
        class coming this Spring.
        It's a long way to go to tell you that I'd never
        heard back from them. I waited a few days and
        contacted them again... and still nothing.
        It is actually a nice website. But... I'm in it
        for the substance.. not the website. LOL.
        Good luck on your search. I'll let you know if I
        hear of anything. It might help if you'd mention what
        city you are in. Other's may know of something.

        Sincerely,
        Kevin

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 20, 2006
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <honeybee33157@...> wrote:

          > Is there such thing as a Gnostic church? I love researching on my
          own,
          > but I would also like a meeting place such as a 'church'. I have
          > googled "gnostic church" but have come up with nothing!
          > Thank you, and thanks for the reading suggestions.

          Hello, Karen. Nowadays, we can find groups recreating versions of a
          gnostic ecclesia. One prominent group is the Ecclesia Gnostica, which
          has a neo-Valentinian element. We have some members of that church in
          our group.

          http://www.gnosis.org/ecclesia/ecclesia.htm

          Cari
        • Jonathan McGregor Bethel
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20, 2006

            Or at least a study group here in the Atlanta area?  I totally have had no luck finding any like minded individuals down here in Atlanta in Orthodoxy land.

            --- Karen <honeybee33157@...> wrote:

            > Is there such thing as a Gnostic church? I love
            > researching on my own,
            > but I would also like a meeting place such as a
            > 'church'. I have
            > googled "gnostic church" but have come up with
            > nothing!
            > Thank you, and thanks for the reading suggestions.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • icybrethovhecate
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 20, 2006
              Ecclesia Gnostica, as well as Ecclesia Gnostic Catholica are
              Gnostic. But the Ecclesia Gnostica is closer to the original Gnostic
              teachings, where as Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica is closer to Thelema.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 20, 2006
                Icybrethovhecate...

                >>>Ecclesia Gnostica, as well as Ecclesia Gnostic Catholica are
                Gnostic. But the Ecclesia Gnostica is closer to the original Gnostic
                teachings, where as Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica is closer to Thelema.<<

                Using a more historical categorization, neither the Ecclesia Gnostica,
                nor the Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica, can be called "Gnostic" in the
                technical sense. However, in the case of the former we can certainly
                call them "Neo-Gnostic", or maybe even more specifically "Neo-
                Valentinian"... a term that some of its senior members here have felt
                quite fair and accurate. In the case of the latter, any connection at
                all is quite a leap.

                PMCV
              • Michael Leavitt
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26, 2006
                  <http:www.gnostic.org> Unfortunately we are only in Los Angeles,
                  Portland, Seattle and Salt Lake City, and our sister church is centered
                  around Chicago. The website is well worth looking at BTW.
                  --
                  M. Leavitt

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 27, 2006
                    Whoa! Welcome back, Mike. Feel free to post info on any personal
                    needs here in the forum.

                    PMCV

                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@...>
                    wrote:

                    > <http:www.gnostic.org> Unfortunately we are only in Los Angeles,
                    > Portland, Seattle and Salt Lake City, and our sister church is
                    centered
                    > around Chicago. The website is well worth looking at BTW.
                    > --
                    > M. Leavitt
                    >
                    > Jonathan McGregor Bethel wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Or at least a study group here in the Atlanta area? I totally
                    have
                    > > had no luck finding any like minded individuals down here in
                    Atlanta
                    > > in Orthodoxy land.

                    -------

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    3/21/2006

                  • heywood38
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28, 2006
                      Peace to all

                      The Apostolic Johannite Church has parishes doing actual regular
                      Masses in Calgary, Victoria, and now 2 places in Wisconsin.

                      http://www.johannite.org

                      There was a Priest in Atlanta until last year, but he has gone quiet
                      for personal reasons.

                      It is tough to be a Gnostic in the US South - there have been several
                      problems with the underlying conservative Christian ideology in that
                      area.

                      LVX!

                      Rev Ken+
                      AJC

                      (old Yahoo profile; sign in about once/6 months)

                      > Whoa! Welcome back, Mike. Feel free to post info on any personal
                      > needs here in the forum.
                      >
                      > PMCV
                      >
                      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Michael Leavitt <ac998@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > <http:www.gnostic.org> Unfortunately we are only in Los Angeles,
                      > > Portland, Seattle and Salt Lake City, and our sister church is
                      > centered
                      > > around Chicago. The website is well worth looking at BTW.
                      > > --
                      > > M. Leavitt
                      > >
                      > > Jonathan McGregor Bethel wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Or at least a study group here in the Atlanta area? I totally
                      > have
                      > > > had no luck finding any like minded individuals down here in
                      > Atlanta
                      > > > in Orthodoxy land.

                      -
                      > -------

                    • Jonathan McGregor Bethel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 28, 2006

                        Well, I just got back from seeing “United 93” with a family member.  Wow, what a harrowing adventure.  And just to think, Flight 93 was the only plane of the 4 hijacked planes to have enough knowledge of what was happening and enough Thelemic-93 warrior spirit to do what they did. Obviously, Thelema-93 was inherent in the passengers of Flight 93!!!!!!  Those people knew what was going to happen to them, and they took matters into their own hands and sought to change the fate of that plane, for they knew they were going to crash into a building!  Many had received calls relaying what had happened to the WTC and Pentagon!  I prescribe this movie for the many whinny liberals that believe the war on Terrorism is a fabrication!  If anything, it firmed up my resolve to rid our planet of Terrorism! These so called Terrorists have hijacked not only our planes on 911, but they have hijacked the religion of Islam as well, and it now twists and contorts its teachings to serve their fanatical agenda!

                        I just want to say hats off to the passengers of Flight 93, for I deeply respect them, and they are truly Heroes!

                        Jonathan McGregor Bethel

                        http://omegapoint.org

                        http://sacredwisdom.net

                        http://2012eschaton.com

                        P.S.  I know I’ve done my job right, when after the movie, my mom says to me, “Did you see the numerous 23 synchronicities?”  LOL

                      • Michael Leavitt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 29, 2006
                          lady_caritas wrote:
                          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Karen" <honeybee33157@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Is there such thing as a Gnostic church? I love researching on my
                          >>
                          > own,
                          >
                          >> but I would also like a meeting place such as a 'church'. I have
                          >> googled "gnostic church" but have come up with nothing!
                          >> Thank you, and thanks for the reading suggestions.
                          >>

                          > Hello, Karen. Nowadays, we can find groups recreating versions of a
                          > gnostic ecclesia. One prominent group is the Ecclesia Gnostica, which
                          > has a neo-Valentinian element. We have some members of that church in
                          > our group.
                          >
                          > http://www.gnosis.org/ecclesia/ecclesia.htm
                          >
                          > Cari

                          In fact I am the senior priest of the Ecclesia Gnostica, bug leave off
                          my Clerical garb while in this group.

                          --
                          M. Leavitt Sr. Priest,. Ecclesia Gnostica
                        • Michael Leavitt
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2006
                            pmcvflag wrote:
                            > Whoa! Welcome back, Mike. Feel free to post info on any personal
                            > needs here in the forum.
                            >
                            > PMCV

                            We have just finally found accommodation's for 6 months, hopefully
                            enough time to sell out property. I need a sports jacket size 46
                            regular, and a size 17 1/2 clerical shirt, and levies (preferably black,
                            size 42/30 or 32)).

                            --
                            M. Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 1, 2006
                              Hey Jonathan

                              Certainly the people on flight 93 saved many lives through thier
                              heroic actions. I doubt they intended any Thelemic advertisement,
                              and perhaps we should consider them as individuals before using them
                              in such a way. Anyone who is concerned with the importance of
                              humanism certainly must be against the kind of thinking that spawns
                              terrorism, and perhaps Gnosticism most of all would point out how
                              this kind of religious thinking is a demonstration of the problem
                              with the religion of the Demiurge. This is true of Islam,
                              Christianity, Taoism, and even the misguided football team style
                              politics that pits "liberals" vs "conservatives".

                              Outside of that, I am not sure what you meant to point out about the
                              subject of Gnosticism.

                              PMCV

                              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan McGregor Bethel"