Re: [Gnosticism2] hiya guys

  • Nick Lawrance
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2006
      From Wesley

      hello my name is wes and im a a young gnostic i say young not because
      of my age but because of my level of understanding. I was drwn to
      gnosis by the basis message god is inside us all and truely know
      yourself is to know god, no church no mediator just direct access. I
      was raised in the christain church but the more i study history the
      more im convinced that jesus was just a man not a god in flesh in
      short the ilusoin has been shattered for me and i cant go back, I
      believ that god exists snd i have a deep desire to know him not to
      just have blind faith but actual knoledge of god. Im curentlt reading
      the Gnostic bible by willis barstone and marvin meyer and it has
      ansered alot of questoins for me but the authors are both christain
      scholars so i fear it might be tainted with a christain agenda. I am
      curently going at this solo ive been unable to find groups that meet
      in my area so if could direct me to literature that could help me on
      my search i would be in your debt

      Hi Wesley

      An excellent resource for actually attempting to know God is the 'Gospel of
      Thomas' and actually doing what it say's to do i.e penetrate the meanings of
      the sayings Jesus presents to you.

      I can recommend some books I found very helpful concerning Gnosticism:

      For a good basic introduction to Gnosticism and Gnostics "The Gnostic
      Gospels" by Elaine Pagels

      "Gnosticism" by Stephan A. Hoeller" presents a more in-depth penetration of
      Gnostics and there ideas especially in contrast to orthodox christianity.

      "Gnosis the Nature and History of Gnosticism" by Kurt Rudolph is an
      excellent elaboration of Gnosticism and Gnostics and I am sure will greatly
      complement your understanding of the Gnostic Bible.

      Nick