Re: Critical Reading

  • janahooks
    Message 1 of 137 , Apr 6, 2006
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@...> wrote:

      >Nope, I missed that one, Jana, but the two new
      > books I ordered on The Gospel of Judas arrived today, and I
      noticed that
      > the good professor had contributed some commentary to each of
      those as
      > well.

      Hum, it wasn't as long ago as I thought. It's the April issue (they
      *will* always send these things almost a month early). The entire
      article is titled "Faith and Reason" by Michael Ruse. Ehrman's
      piece within it is 'Literalism', if you want to look it up...or I
      could just send you this copy. I'm sure my husband would never miss
      it!! ;)

      > I look forward to getting started on those books, but there will
      still
      > be a critical edition released eventually that will cover all of
      this
      > relatively new find known as Codex Tchacos. Besides the long-
      awaited
      > Gospel of Judas, this codex contained versions of The Letter of
      Peter to
      > Philip and The First Apocalypse of James (both from the NHL),
      along with
      > a previously unknown tractate that they have tentatively titled
      the Book
      > of Allogenes, which I hope won't cause confusion for us down the
      road
      > with the similarly titled work also found in the NHL.

      I look forward to your review. Um, could you tell me how to
      pronounce 'Tchacos' so I don't hear 'Codex Tacos' in my head?

      >I've been weathering some sticks of my own on a tree stump in the
      >backyard for the past year.

      You know, Gerrrryyyy, if you ever finish any of these projects (that
      I have somehow pirated for all of my lesson plans), I'd love to use
      a couple of photos in my classes. No pressure.

      >As for the first-graders' project though, I was wondering
      > how they went about those handprints that Cari referred to?

      Since I used the Lascaux site, I avoided the issue entirely--no
      hands, but therin lies the Shaft of the Dead Man (their favorite)
      who, according to their excellent vision and imaginations, is
      naked. Frying pan into the fire.

      http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/

      The Caves at Lascaux

      http://donsmaps.com/chauvetcave.html

      (Hand) Chauvet Cave

      http://www.patagonia-
      argentina.com/i/andina/moreno/cuevadelasmanos.htm

      (Hands) Argentina

      >If you experienced any problems or toxicity issues with what the
      >kids used, perhaps you could pass along
      > your findings to save me some needless aggravation. ;-)

      I need more info: what surface, what location, how authentic. I use
      terrible paint with students, for legal and health reasons--washable
      tempera. Almost edible, it's so safe. Consequently, it's useless.
      My best advice with whatever you use: Don't inhale. :)

      jana
      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 8, 2006

        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "janahooks" <janahooks@...> wrote:

        > [. . .]
        >
        > Gerry and Lady C.,thanks for all of the info and links.…

        Thank you, Jana, for noticing them.

        > Gerry, after looking at the National Geographic link, I was

        > reminded of some suggestions I gave you on faded writing. I'm feeling
        > really good about watery sepia ink and sandpaper...and sand
        > horizontally and vertically...with the gray sandpaper...

        And ya know, that was the one suggestion you wrote me that I was the most hesitant to attempt.  There's something about the dual-layered papyrus and its almost glossy sheen that made me wonder if such coarse measures would destroy the whole thing, but the more I've thought about it (along with your renewed convictions), the more I believe it would indeed yield a desirable finish.  I imagine the weathered results would be akin to repeatedly wadding up a sheet of paper to the point that it becomes more like a thin piece of cloth rather than a crisp piece of paper.  Only this way, you avoid the wrinkles!